Kodi Community Forum
Release TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Program Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: Release TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data (/showthread.php?tid=186090)

RE: TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - melons2 - 2022-09-21

Hello everyone,

I know there are a lot of people that used this program and depended on it! If I had the skill to rewrite it I would. If someone with enough skill would take a shot at this I would be more than willing to debug, test & report 

Thank you.........

RE: TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - melons2 - 2022-11-11

Moderator's:

It is time to mark this one as abandoned and no longer supported!

RE: TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - skippr - 2022-11-11

Developers: it is time to include this feature to the standard Kodi functionality. Make this a priority. This is imho the most essential addon ever. 

Nowadays there are so many features in what used to be xbmc. Which I don't need, but that's fine. But I just cannot understand why an addon like this is abandoned. 

On FireTV Cube, I can work with marcelveidts version, though it lacks some functionality and presents some bugs, at least it works. So this cannot be an impossible request. 

I do not understand what kind of project Kodi has become, I always thought of Kodi as something where this feature would have been essential. 

What is the Kodi vision nowadays??  

If you really must push Kodi to ever other levels, consider developing a server/client logic for all those, who would like to use "their" Kodi on more than one device. It's 2022.

RE: TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - Dangelus - 2022-11-11

Whilst we understand the frustration on users part I would like to remind people that Kodi is not a commercial project and all our developers make contributions for free in their own free time.

If people lose interest or their personal circumstances change they can often step away from the project. This includes the multitude of addons that people make available for Kodi.

The beauty of being an Open Source project is that anyone can contribute, create addons and submit PRs to the main project. If someone comes along with a compelling change or additional feature then Team Kodi will always take it into consideration.

RE: TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - jjd-uk - 2022-11-11

To add to the above.

Features such as this are best served by addons as if we added everything to Kodi itself that would hugely bloat the code, and would actually have zero benefit, as whether an addon or in Kodi itself it needs a interested developer to maintain the code. So having this as part of the Kodi core won't magically make a interested developer appear.

RE: TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - Klojum - 2022-11-11

(2022-11-11, 09:45)skippr Wrote: If you really must push Kodi to ever other levels, consider developing a server/client logic for all those, who would like to use "their" Kodi on more than one device.
Offloading functionality into add-ons is already like moving logic away from the main application.
Small(er) bits of code are much easier to handle by greater numbers of people/devs/coders, as is the case with any bigger project.

(2022-11-11, 09:45)skippr Wrote: I do not understand what kind of project Kodi has become, I always thought of Kodi as something where this feature would have been essential. 
Believe it or not, I don't consider a TV Show Next Aired script as "essential". I never installed it, as I frankly don't see the need for it. Not everyone uses their Kodi device(s) the way you do. As with the proverbial Lego box, you pick the building blocks you need for what you want. As far as TeamKodi goes, we have lost some solid contributors over the years, so certain aspects of Kodi may have slowed down a bit. But we have no fixed deadlines to include or revive certain features. As already mentioned, this is a project run by volunteers, and they contribute as they see fit.

(2022-11-11, 09:45)skippr Wrote: It's 2022.
Not for long. :-)

RE: TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - skippr - 2022-11-12

Thanks for your feedback, and please note, though I vented somewhat this was not meant as a rant. 

As a simple user with no coding skills, I simply do not distinguish the ways a certain feature might be implemented.
I would connect a steam engine to my FireTV if that would be what's needed in order to use this feature. No disrespect. 

Let's say this was a desperate plea for the (this is subjectively, of course) ONE feature that is a real game changer.
More objectively perhaps, it is a feature that is singular in Kodi, AFAIK.
And although this does not reflect EVERY Kodi user, or even the majority (I humbly cannot imagine all the ways this software might be used),
perhaps it might be representative for quite a number of people, especially among those who enjoyed Kodi as "their" tool since its beginnings. 

Of course the (in every case generous) amount of time you developers invest in an open source project is limited and appreciated. 

And since I have no knowledge about the issues that are considered more vital or pressing, I abstain from judgement.
All there is left is hope that this feature won't disappear completely. 
(2022-11-11, 13:31)Klojum Wrote:
(2022-11-11, 09:45)skippr Wrote:  
Not for long. :-)

So hurry ;-)

RE: TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - turbotec - 2022-12-02

in the name off good kodi please fix this i beg of you

RE: TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - AikenDrum - 2022-12-02

So which bits of the addon work, which dont?
The widget view works for me, but the main display page doesn't, so the data is being retrieved.
The config pages seem to work correctly.

Is this a skin/UI issue rather than a completely broken app ?
Is it possible someone with Kodi UI experience could have a look ?

RE: TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - skippr - 2022-12-03

THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS OUTDATED! Thanx to Gade for clearing some things up!

I found a working solution in this thread many months ago, here is my setup and experience: 

- Kodi 19.4 for Android (ARMV7A, Fire TV Cube)

- Addon Version 8.0.2 (Marcelveldt's Beta Repository, the addon will also require and install TheMovieDb Helper and Embuary Info) 

- Rapier Skin 

What works with this add-on version: 

First of all:
- all currently airing shows are recognized and displayed (as long as tmdb.com's status info is correct)  

TV Guide: 
- uses Clear Logo to display the entries 
   - if no Clear Logo is available, it uses Posters 
- refreshes almost instantly when new shows are added 

TV Shows Today Widget: 
- uses Clear Logo to display the entries 
   - if no Clear Logo is available, it uses Banners 

The Widgets Upcoming TV Shows / Upcoming Movies / In Cinemas also work. 

What doesn't work: 

- "Settings" are completely without effect, any changes will not be applied
   - TV guide will only show 7 days beginning with today
   - no yesterday column available
   - no more options for artwork (not longer needed by me, since clear logos are my favorite choice anyway) 
   - in case of full season releases the TV Shows Today Widget interprets each episode as a show (which I can live with) 
   - sometimes the TV Shows Today Widget does not display all entries (but "TV guide" and "Upcoming TV Shows" contain these episodes) 
   - sometimes the TV Shows Today Widget does not refresh and shows previous day entries (this can be fixed by reloading skin or entering TV Guide) 
   - sometimes Embuary Info displays errors (usually this can be fixed by reloading skin)

So, in many ways this is the best addon performance I ever experienced. Previous original versions took a long time to update the library and could not make use of clear logos. 

I really miss the "14 days including yesterday" view of the TV Guide, though. 

But for something that was completely broken, Marcel Veldt did a great job restoring and even improving core functionality. 

I would assume that (at least with some minor tweaks) this could easily be included in official kodi repo. I think it should. 

Fellow users might try this addon version and report their experiences with their respective kodi releases and skins.
I'd be glad to try to answer questions concerning this addon version / addon behavior based on my user experience with it. 
Who knows, there might be skin settings or avancedsettings I applied which are relevant.

RE: TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - melons2 - 2022-12-05

@skippr
Thank you

RE: TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - Gade - 2022-12-05

@skippr
The Rapier skin doesn't use script.tv.show.next.aired at all.
You can safely uninstall that script.

script.embuary.info is used for Upcoming tv shows / TV shows today widgets and next aired information inside libraries.
script.embuary.helper is used for In progress episodes widget.
plugin.video.themoviedb.helper is used for In cinemas / Upcoming movies widgets.

As you experienced, these script work much faster than tv.show.next.aired.
They are a bit limited though in settings and features.

RE: TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - skippr - 2022-12-05

@Gade 

This is utterly astonishing. At some point the TV Show Next Aired Addon broke, and the only solution I found was using Marcelveidt's version. 
After a few bumps it suddenly seemed to work, so I assumed that did the trick. Not even imagining that meanwhile this feature was provided otherwise! Who knew?! And TBH, I never would have assumed this functionality based on the names of the scripts. 

Wow! Kudos to Rapier that it implements this great feature! 

I just hope this helps all those non-Rapier users, and that their skins support these scripts and plugin.

RE: TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - Gade - 2022-12-06

(2022-12-05, 15:10)skippr Wrote: @Gade 

This is utterly astonishing. At some point the TV Show Next Aired Addon broke, and the only solution I found was using Marcelveidt's version. 
After a few bumps it suddenly seemed to work, so I assumed that did the trick. Not even imagining that meanwhile this feature was provided otherwise! Who knew?! And TBH, I never would have assumed this functionality based on the names of the scripts. 

I just hope this helps all those non-Rapier users, and that their skins support these scripts and plugin.

Thanks, I removed support for tv.show.next.aired as it stopped working properly.
I looked for another solution for Rapier, as I use tv shows a lot myself and found script.embuary.info.
It provides a lighter and faster version.

Other skins can do the same, but it requires skin code changes.

RE: TV Show Next Aired (Script) Addon, now w/TheTVDB data - melons2 - 2022-12-06

(2022-12-06, 13:31)Gade Wrote:
(2022-12-05, 15:10)skippr Wrote: @Gade 

Thanks, I removed support for tv.show.next.aired as it stopped working properly.
I looked for another solution for Rapier, as I use tv shows a lot myself and found script.embuary.info.
It provides a lighter and faster version.

Other skins can do the same, but it requires skin code changes.
@latts9923

Could this be a solution?