Kodi Community Forum
what is the difference between On start/Stop and Always - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: what is the difference between On start/Stop and Always (/showthread.php?tid=186990)

what is the difference between On start/Stop and Always - frarev - 2014-02-20

Hi.

I' m using the parameter Adjust display refresh to match video.

But do someone know the difference between On start/Stop and Always ?

I can't see any information on the wiki.

RE: what is the difference between On start/Stop and Always - Memphiz - 2014-02-20

Always.

Start a movie with 24fps - tv will switch to 24hz. Bring the menu in foreground by hitting the "tab" key on the keyboard (or something similar) - display will switch back to 60hz - movie continues playing in the background.

On start/Stop:

Start a movie with 24fps - tv will switch to 24hz. Bring the menu in foreground by hitting the "tab" key on the keyboard (or something similar) - diplay will stay(!) at 24hz - movie continues playing in the background - gui is rendered at 24fps. Stop playback - NOW the tv will switch back to 60hz.

RE: what is the difference between On start/Stop and Always - frarev - 2014-02-20

Thanks, that's clear.

By the way, is-there any reason why the XBMC GUI is slower and less responsive when it is set to 24hz, versus 50hz ?
And same question for the add-on (for instance I'm using a french TV Add-on), and the Add-on is slower (for search , list navigation, etc..) when display is set to 24hz versus 50 Hz.

RE: what is the difference between On start/Stop and Always - Memphiz - 2014-02-20

Because we sync rendering to 24hz which gives 24fps only ... thats the whole reason that we added the "start/stop, always" options ... as it depends on the monitor used if the UI is stuttering on 24hz or not...

what is the difference between On start/Stop and Always - frarev - 2014-02-21

Thanks !

RE: what is the difference between On start/Stop and Always - somy - 2014-02-21

(2014-02-20, 12:53)Memphiz Wrote: Always.

Start a movie with 24fps - tv will switch to 24hz. Bring the menu in foreground by hitting the "tab" key on the keyboard (or something similar) - display will switch back to 60hz - movie continues playing in the background.

On start/Stop:

Start a movie with 24fps - tv will switch to 24hz. Bring the menu in foreground by hitting the "tab" key on the keyboard (or something similar) - diplay will stay(!) at 24hz - movie continues playing in the background - gui is rendered at 24fps. Stop playback - NOW the tv will switch back to 60hz.

How does it work with a blu-ray containing videos in different frame rate?
For example, the menu part if 60, but the video part is 24?

RE: what is the difference between On start/Stop and Always - jjd-uk - 2014-02-21

Exactly the same as Memphiz has already described Huh

(2014-02-21, 11:00)jjd-uk Wrote: Exactly the same as Memphiz has already described Huh

I meant video containing sections with different FPS.
Section 1 in 60P and section 2 in 24P etc. (possible in bluray discs)

RE: what is the difference between On start/Stop and Always - Piers - 2014-02-21

(2014-02-21, 11:16)somy Wrote:
(2014-02-21, 11:00)jjd-uk Wrote: Exactly the same as Memphiz has already described Huh

The video will only be encoded at one rate, the menu might run at 60fps but the video files will run at a constant.

RE: what is the difference between On start/Stop and Always - jjd-uk - 2014-02-21

Still exactly the same.

Always will ensure it always matches the current refresh rate of the video, and start/stop will only switch to the required refresh rate when playback is started or stopped so while playing back it will remain at a constant refresh rate.

(2014-02-21, 11:38)jjd-uk Wrote:

Still exactly the same.

Always will ensure it always matches the current refresh rate of the video, and start/stop will only switch to the required refresh rate when playback is started or stopped so while playing back it will remain at a constant refresh rate.

OK, thanks for the explain!