Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH (/showthread.php?tid=187433)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - mediumdry - 2014-07-06

(2014-07-06, 03:29)pr0xZen Wrote: There are ways to use pretty much any remote, given the approriate drivers and setup.
Not to thread-jack, but the guides I am finding are all for open-elec or more general for linux. I chose to run windows 7 on my NUC and I have an IR remote that I would like to use with XBMC, but since it's not a media center remote, I haven't had much luck with finding out how to configure everything. If anyone has a pointer for me, I'd appreciate it.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pr0xZen - 2014-07-07

(2014-07-06, 21:44)mediumdry Wrote:
(2014-07-06, 03:29)pr0xZen Wrote: There are ways to use pretty much any remote, given the approriate drivers and setup.
Not to thread-jack, but the guides I am finding are all for open-elec or more general for linux. I chose to run windows 7 on my NUC and I have an IR remote that I would like to use with XBMC, but since it's not a media center remote, I haven't had much luck with finding out how to configure everything. If anyone has a pointer for me, I'd appreciate it.
Not exactly thread-jacking, it pertains to operating peripheral equipment with the NUC in topic. But you still need to tell us what kind of remote it is ^^

For Windows, the current possibilites are more limited. Let us know what you have, then we might be able to contribute.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - knubbze - 2014-07-08

Hello guys,

I'm considering purchasing one of these units in a month or two (to give me a better chance of getting a 2830 CPU) to run OpenELEC/XBMC as a replacement to my WDTV Live SMP (which has been pretty good, but has one important flaw - see below).

But before I go ahead and buy one, there's a few things that I wanted to double-check. I'm sure these have come up at least a few times already, but due to the length of the thread, it'd take me a long time to trawl through for answers.

1. Can the GPU in this model handle 23.x/24/50/60hz refresh rates? I've seen some mentions of problems with 23.x hz playback in some other forums, but they didn't go into detail.
  2. Is it possible to bitstream all the usual audio formats/codecs to my AV receiver (including Dolby HD/DTS-MA)?
  3. Finally, and here's the crucial feature, can 5.1 AAC audio be decoded in software and output as a 5.1-channel PCM stream? Because my AV receiver (like almost all of them) doesn't support AAC audio, and my WDTV box could decode 5.1 AAC internally, but can only output it in PCM as a 2.0 stereo mixdown.

Thanks in advance, guys!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - mediumdry - 2014-07-08

(2014-07-07, 04:27)pr0xZen Wrote: Not exactly thread-jacking, it pertains to operating peripheral equipment with the NUC in topic. But you still need to tell us what kind of remote it is ^^

For Windows, the current possibilites are more limited. Let us know what you have, then we might be able to contribute.
I'm not home right now, but it's a remote for a Philips DVD player. That means it's not compatible with anything in particular, but I was hoping for something that could read the IR commands coming from the remote and translate it to keypresses. Also, I have a spare apple remote that I'd love to use. For both of them I'd need some intermediate solution between the IR receiver and XBMC.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - noggin - 2014-07-08

(2014-07-08, 20:06)mediumdry Wrote:
(2014-07-07, 04:27)pr0xZen Wrote: Not exactly thread-jacking, it pertains to operating peripheral equipment with the NUC in topic. But you still need to tell us what kind of remote it is ^^

I'm not home right now, but it's a remote for a Philips DVD player. That means it's not compatible with anything in particular, but I was hoping for something that could read the IR commands coming from the remote and translate it to keypresses. Also, I have a spare apple remote that I'd love to use. For both of them I'd need some intermediate solution between the IR receiver and XBMC.

Sounds like you should look at FLIRC. It's a USB IR receiver that you can program from within Windows, OSX or Linux (and it can be programmed on other machines, not the machine you want to use it on). You can use it with any mainstream consumer IR remote control and it will appear as a standard USB keyboard to the machine it is connected to. Not dirt cheap - and it may well be cheaper to buy an RC6 remote control (that will work with the IR receiver in the current NUCs) but if there is a specific remote you want to use, FLIRC may well be the least painful solution.

(2014-07-08, 11:04)knubbze Wrote: Hello guys,

I'm considering purchasing one of these units in a month or two (to give me a better chance of getting a 2830 CPU) to run OpenELEC/XBMC as a replacement to my WDTV Live SMP (which has been pretty good, but has one important flaw - see below).

But before I go ahead and buy one, there's a few things that I wanted to double-check. I'm sure these have come up at least a few times already, but due to the length of the thread, it'd take me a long time to trawl through for answers.

1. Can the GPU in this model handle 23.x/24/50/60hz refresh rates? I've seen some mentions of problems with 23.x hz playback in some other forums, but they didn't go into detail.
People who have tried the 2820 say it doesn't have the 24Hz bug that other SB/IVB GPUs have, and that - like Haswell - it does 23.976Hz properly.
Quote:
  • Is it possible to bitstream all the usual audio formats/codecs to my AV receiver (including Dolby HD/DTS-MA)?
  • Under Linux/OpenElec yes, under Windows no. The Windows drivers don't support DTS HD/Dolby True HD

Quote:
  • Finally, and here's the crucial feature, can 5.1 AAC audio be decoded in software and output as a 5.1-channel PCM stream? Because my AV receiver (like almost all of them) doesn't support AAC audio, and my WDTV box could decode 5.1 AAC internally, but can only output it in PCM as a 2.0 stereo mixdown.
  • 5.1 AAC can either be output as 5.1 PCM (which is what I do with Freeview HD in the UK) or there is the option to transcode to DD 5.1 (at least in OpenElec that option is there - though you may need to enable advanced or expert options). HOWEVER I don't know what enabling the transcode option does for DTS etc. But if you have a PCM 5.1 capable amp there would be no reason to transcode and incur the quality loss a transcode would introduce anyway,

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - Cassiuss - 2014-07-09

(2014-07-05, 21:56)LazerBlue Wrote:
    (2014-07-05, 21:14)Cassiuss Wrote: Hi,

I am very happy with my NUC but was missing a remote. I ordered one and got it delivered today. It does work, but only with the USB IR receiver that came with it, and not with the internal IR receiver in the NUC itself. I am running OpenELEC 4.0.6 (Gotham). Is there a setting I am missing? Do I have to change anything in the BIOS?

I looked on this thread as well as on the intel website, but to me it seems that for everybody else it works out of the box?!

Any help would be appreciated!
    Do you have a link to the remote you bought? It sounds like it may not be an RC6 MCE capable remote but instead one that just emulates a keyboard which is why it only works with its USB dongle.

I guess you are right! It does say something about MCE but RC6 is not mentioned. here is the link
    I never really understood the difference between RC6 and MCE, I kind of thought it was a different name for the same thing Rofl
    Now I know what to look for, thanks!

Re: RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - LazerBlue - 2014-07-09

(2014-07-09, 12:00)Cassiuss Wrote:
    (2014-07-05, 21:56)LazerBlue Wrote:
    (2014-07-05, 21:14)Cassiuss Wrote: Hi,

I am very happy with my NUC but was missing a remote. I ordered one and got it delivered today. It does work, but only with the USB IR receiver that came with it, and not with the internal IR receiver in the NUC itself. I am running OpenELEC 4.0.6 (Gotham). Is there a setting I am missing? Do I have to change anything in the BIOS?

I looked on this thread as well as on the intel website, but to me it seems that for everybody else it works out of the box?!

Any help would be appreciated!
    Do you have a link to the remote you bought? It sounds like it may not be an RC6 MCE capable remote but instead one that just emulates a keyboard which is why it only works with its USB dongle.

I guess you are right! It does say something about MCE but RC6 is not mentioned. here is the link
    I never really understood the difference between RC6 and MCE, I kind of thought it was a different name for the same thing Rofl
    Now I know what to look for, thanks!
    Yeah, that remote just emulates a keyboard and mouse. It is not an RC6 capable remote.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - mediumdry - 2014-07-09

(2014-07-08, 23:23)noggin Wrote: Sounds like you should look at FLIRC. It's a USB IR receiver that you can program from within Windows, OSX or Linux (and it can be programmed on other machines, not the machine you want to use it on). You can use it with any mainstream consumer IR remote control and it will appear as a standard USB keyboard to the machine it is connected to. Not dirt cheap - and it may well be cheaper to buy an RC6 remote control (that will work with the IR receiver in the current NUCs) but if there is a specific remote you want to use, FLIRC may well be the least painful solution.

Isn't there a FLIRC like software that will work with the built-in IR receiver? I really don't want to add any hardwar on the outside, if I can help it. Of course, if there isn't, I'll look into an RC6 remote, or keep using the PS3 bluetooth that I am using now.

Re: RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - LazerBlue - 2014-07-10

(2014-07-09, 22:15)mediumdry Wrote:
    (2014-07-08, 23:23)noggin Wrote: Sounds like you should look at FLIRC. It's a USB IR receiver that you can program from within Windows, OSX or Linux (and it can be programmed on other machines, not the machine you want to use it on). You can use it with any mainstream consumer IR remote control and it will appear as a standard USB keyboard to the machine it is connected to. Not dirt cheap - and it may well be cheaper to buy an RC6 remote control (that will work with the IR receiver in the current NUCs) but if there is a specific remote you want to use, FLIRC may well be the least painful solution.

Isn't there a FLIRC like software that will work with the built-in IR receiver? I really don't want to add any hardwar on the outside, if I can help it. Of course, if there isn't, I'll look into an RC6 remote, or keep using the PS3 bluetooth that I am using now.
    There's even a chance that some remotes you have now will work. My old Verizon cable box remote has a code for Windows Media Center that worked for me on the last and a lot of universal remotes that are out now seem to have codes for Microsoft and MCE available.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - skimshady - 2014-07-10

Hi all!

Which version of the NUC is the sweet spot for running XBMC OpenELEC?

- Quick boot, and quick resume from sleep
    - Powerful enough to use the Skin I want
    - Fast and responsive GUI in XBMC
    - Free to use the add-ons I want!
    - And most importantly handling all Video Format I throw at it, and plays it without a hitch Smile

I will stream Video via NFS from a powerful Synology NAS. Wired Ethernet.

Please enlighten me, and sorry if this have been explained before...

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - jjd-uk - 2014-07-10

(2014-07-09, 22:15)mediumdry Wrote:

I think WinLICR may do this, see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=180145 and http://winlirc.sourceforge.net/

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - mediumdry - 2014-07-10

(2014-07-10, 13:31)jjd-uk Wrote: I think WinLICR may do this, see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=180145 and http://winlirc.sourceforge.net/
    I've been trying WinLIRC, but I don't know which plugin/driver to use, I've not had luck yet with the ones I tried. Does anyone know which driver for the NUC?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - scarecrow420 - 2014-07-10

(2014-07-10, 12:31)bthusby Wrote: Hi all!

Which version of the NUC is the sweet spot for running XBMC OpenELEC?

- Quick boot, and quick resume from sleep
    - Powerful enough to use the Skin I want
    - Fast and responsive GUI in XBMC
    - Free to use the add-ons I want!
    - And most importantly handling all Video Format I throw at it, and plays it without a hitch Smile

I will stream Video via NFS from a powerful Synology NAS. Wired Ethernet.

Please enlighten me, and sorry if this have been explained before...

I have 2 Celeron 2820 and 1 i3 4010 and both models are capable of everything you say. The Celeron perhaps a bit more sluggish navigating menus whilst a library update is running in the background etc but still very reasonable overall and a fair bit cheaper. In all 3 of my NUCs im running 4GB RAM and SSD and Windows 8.1 so I cant directly give you feedback on OpenElec. In my configuration they are extremely quick to boot and resume/sleep, and they also play anything I throw at them so far, though I don't have a wide range of demanding video files I have to admit. I would say go with your budget - if you can afford to get the i3 do it, otherwise the Celeron is still very good and significantly cheaper.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - Mydriaze - 2014-07-11

(2014-07-10, 15:49)scarecrow420 Wrote: I have 2 Celeron 2820 and 1 i3 4010 and both models are capable of everything you say. The Celeron perhaps a bit more sluggish navigating menus whilst a library update is running in the background etc but still very reasonable overall and a fair bit cheaper. In all 3 of my NUCs im running 4GB RAM and SSD and Windows 8.1 so I cant directly give you feedback on OpenElec. In my configuration they are extremely quick to boot and resume/sleep, and they also play anything I throw at them so far, though I don't have a wide range of demanding video files I have to admit. I would say go with your budget - if you can afford to get the i3 do it, otherwise the Celeron is still very good and significantly cheaper.

Well, this is my first message, I hope you'll understand cause i'm not english fluent.
    I'm looking to quickly buy a NUC. 2820 has good reviews everywhere, but perhaps lack of power for what I want to do: emulators and XBMC.

I'm looking of course to use XBMC on the NUC, but I would like to do some retrogaming. Currently, i'm using Hyperspin, with 16bits and 8 bits system and Arcade system (mame, Sega genesis, super nintendo etc...).
    I have some heavy Bluray rip: 25 or 50 go m2TS file. Does the 2820 handle this without any stutter? My WDTV live currently stutter is I try to play this heavy file...
    the i3 Nuc is twice the price of the 2820, so I don't know exactly what to do... any advice or feedback is welcome!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - scarecrow420 - 2014-07-12

I really have no experience or idea regarding arcade emulators so I cant comment

Regarding 1080P etc, there is a test file online called "Birds" which is apparently quite demanding (high bitrate etc) and that plays fine on the Celerons in XBMC, no dropped frames etc and about 20% CPU usage, if that helps?

if you have any other online sources of test video files let me know and I can download them and see if they play