Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH (/showthread.php?tid=187433)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - jjd-uk - 2015-01-26

The previously posted info is not quite right:

DTS is up to 5.1 channels and 24bit@96khz with maximum bitrate of 1.5mbps (lossy format).

DTS-HD HRA is up to 7.1 channels and 24bit@96khz with maximum bitrate of 6mbps (so is still Lossy).

DTS-HD MA has no defined maximum number of channels or bitrate, however Blu-Ray spec specifies up to 5.1 channels and 24bit@192khz and up to 7.1 channels and 24bit@96khz with both having a maximum bitrate of 24mbps (this is lossless).

DTS-HD HRA and DTS-HD MA use the same extension framework which is know simply as DTS-HD, hence any device specifying DTS-HD should support both formats, which why Windows only bothers to show DTS-HD as it implicitly means support for both.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - scarecrow420 - 2015-01-26

So people are saying they've enabled hd bit streaming under Windows on the celeron model just by installing the drivers from the i3 model? I could have sworn we tried all that back in the early days but that's awesome if it works now! I thought without IME (for protected audio path) the drm in Windows just wouldn't play nic, soso it's surprising if it's just a matter of installing the audio driver.

I'll try things out myself after seeing that thread, thanks for sharing

RE: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron 4th Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - jjd-uk - 2015-01-26

Does make you wonder why Intel couldn't release an official driver for the DN2820FYKH with support? and it undermines their claim that the necessary DRM wasn't implemented in the hardware, so it seems like it was a commercial decision and Intel are trying to push customer to the higher cost NUC's to get HD audio.

RE: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron 4th Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - rob77 - 2015-01-26

I just installed the latest graphic card driver from the n2820 download page and it is enabled. Perhaps it was a feature they have now added that was not in the older drivers.

RE: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron 4th Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - jjd-uk - 2015-01-26

(2015-01-26, 14:47)rob77 Wrote: I just installed the latest graphic card driver from the n2820 download page and it is enabled. Perhaps it was a feature they have now added that was not in the older drivers.

Which is strange in light of these statements from a Intel representative

Quote:After escalating the lack of DTS-HD support on this NUC to engineering, who in turn talked to the processor guys, who in turn talked to the graphics guys, who in turn talked to... well you know how it is.

Turns out, this processor never supported DTS-HD, so the NUC's specification document is wrong. That will be updated to reflect the change.

Quote:Protected Audio Path is not supported on this platform, leading to the lack of DTS-HD support in Windows. The Intel TXE driver and firmware has taken the place of the Intel ME you are familiar with.

Perhaps they were getting too many requests for refunds.

RE: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron 4th Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - asolir - 2015-01-26

Great to hear
Thanks for testing Smile

RE: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron 4th Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - -DDD- - 2015-01-26

Why do you call the 2820 CPU here Celeron 4th Generation CPU?
Here they call it the 3rd Generation: http://kodi.wiki/view/Intel_NUC#About_the_Intel_NUC
It's simply the first Baytrail CPU for me, nothing with 3rd and 4th Generation.

Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron 4th Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - kees667 - 2015-01-27

Not sure but I think newer 2820's come with a slightly newer cpu model. 4th refers to the newer cpu?

RE: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron 4th Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - skylarking - 2015-01-27

(2015-01-26, 11:22)jjd-uk Wrote: The previously posted info is not quite right:

DTS is up to 5.1 channels and 24bit@96khz with maximum bitrate of 1.5mbps (lossy format).

DTS-HD HRA is up to 7.1 channels and 24bit@96khz with maximum bitrate of 6mbps (so is still Lossy).

DTS-HD MA has no defined maximum number of channels or bitrate, however Blu-Ray spec specifies up to 5.1 channels and 24bit@192khz and up to 7.1 channels and 24bit@96khz with both having a maximum bitrate of 24mbps (this is lossless).

DTS-HD HRA and DTS-HD MA use the same extension framework which is know simply as DTS-HD, hence any device specifying DTS-HD should support both formats, which why Windows only bothers to show DTS-HD as it implicitly means support for both.

Your post is specific w.r.t. number of channels and bitrates but what parts of my post was "not quite right"?

RE: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron 4th Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - VictorDUA - 2015-01-27

My NUC wakes up every night. Can someone help me to turn this off ?

RE: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron 4th Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - fritsch - 2015-01-27

Pull out the plug is no option? Would even save more power.

RE: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron 4th Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - -DDD- - 2015-01-27

(2015-01-27, 07:05)kees667 Wrote: Not sure but I think newer 2820's come with a slightly newer cpu model. 4th refers to the newer cpu?

Yes, the first Baytrail NUC have 2820 CPU, the Refresh 2830, but it's still the same Baytrail Platform, with some very small Changes.
So there is no Reason for me to call it the next Step, both are first Generation Baytrail/Silvermont CPUs.

RE: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron 4th Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - scarecrow420 - 2015-01-27

I guess it's meant to refer to the fact that these baytrail celeron NUCs accompanied the Haswell "4th generation" processor based NUCs in terms of the lineup/launch date etc.

But I agree it's incorrect in terms of Baytrail celeron, and even the NUC platform in general (given that these are actually 3rd generation NUCs since there werent any NUCs around back in Gen1 core i* CPUs)

RE: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron 4th Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - jjd-uk - 2015-01-27

(2015-01-27, 08:00)skylarking Wrote: Your post is specific w.r.t. number of channels and bitrates but what parts of my post was "not quite right"?

Just a pedantic nitpick.

(2015-01-26, 07:13)skylarking Wrote: What the specific differences are between DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA

DTS-HD is the generic name for the extensions used, the actual formats audio are encoded into are DTS-HD High Resolution Audio (HRA) & DTS-HD Master Audio (MA) so there is no format called just DTS-HD, I suspect you meant DTS-HD HRA which is the correct name for the lower spec'ed lossy version when referring to plain DTS-HD which does not exist.

RE: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron 4th Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - nickr - 2015-01-27

Thank you both for the clarification. I have learned a lot.