Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH (/showthread.php?tid=187433)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - pr0xZen - 2014-02-05

http://www.koi-sama.net/files/hi10/

hi10p 720p/1080p mp3 (2.0) and FLAC (5.1) samples.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - agiler - 2014-02-05

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-dn2820fykh-bay-trail-system-review_135053

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - mark03 - 2014-02-05

Last night I set up my DN2820 (from Provantage) with Crucial 4GB memory and a Samsung SSD. Updated the BIOS using the F7 method from a FAT-formatted USB stick, then followed the instructions to install a nightly-build 20140204 OpenElec (64-bit generic). I had one false start because the installer now gives you the option to partition as GPT, which sounded good to me, but when I did that I couldn't boot (maybe this needs UEFI boot? I haven't read up on it yet). I ran the install again using old-fashioned partitioning and it works fine. I also have a PS3 bluetooth remote recognized and working---much easier to pair than it used to be in the bad old days. I am still trying to get the kinks worked out of the MythTV PVR frontend but so far so good.

The one thing that does bother me is the fan. Like a lot of people I was surprised and disappointed to find one in there. Unlike some of the previous posters, I actually find the fan noise quite obvious; I would say it is comparable to or maybe even a tad louder than my tower Core-i7 system with big slow fans at idle. It does seem to be running at high RPMs though. Can anyone share what BIOS settings they used to tame it? AFAICT it is not slowing down by itself.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - edwr - 2014-02-05

(2014-02-05, 16:39)agiler Wrote: http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-dn2820fykh-bay-trail-system-review_135053
Posted some thoughts there, hopefully it'll help speed up the bug fixing. Laugh

(2014-02-05, 17:25)mark03 Wrote: The one thing that does bother me is the fan. Like a lot of people I was surprised and disappointed to find one in there. Unlike some of the previous posters, I actually find the fan noise quite obvious; I would say it is comparable to or maybe even a tad louder than my tower Core-i7 system with big slow fans at idle. It does seem to be running at high RPMs though. Can anyone share what BIOS settings they used to tame it? AFAICT it is not slowing down by itself.
I thought it was pretty loud at default, too. Just go to Advanced, then Cooling, and turn down the minimum slider. I have mine turned to 0%.

(2014-02-05, 16:12)pr0xZen Wrote: http://www.koi-sama.net/files/hi10/

hi10p 720p/1080p mp3 (2.0) and FLAC (5.1) samples.
Yeah, with the 1080p flac sample, the zoom out at the beginning pegged the CPU at 100% and wasn't smooth at all (I played the file on another computer to see what that part was supposed to look like). The rest of the title sequence seemed to play fine, and only pegged CPU around 75%, but it also didn't look very hard to decode, relatively. This was with mpc-hc set to evr, and xy-vsfilter.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - brywright - 2014-02-05

What is navigating around like in XBMC? For example some heavy skins like aeon nox, does it load all the posters/fanart quickly or do you see them trickle in?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - asm495 - 2014-02-05

I'm still not clear whether hardware decode is supported or not. I was previously going to order but they went out of stock everywhere in the UK. However, I don't think I will if hardware decode is not going to work in OpenElec.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - rramalho - 2014-02-05

Hi! Big Grin

I have received my Bay Trail NUC just now, at work.

I will try to test it tonight, and give you guys my feedback.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - pr0xZen - 2014-02-05

Hopefully we will see quite mentionable improvements in the coming weeks and months. A wide range of the current issues can be remedied through s/w and f/w updates. This NUC has been out for mere weeks, and we've already seen quite solid suppport and development with this NUC, and more is in the works. It is selling like cold beer and ice cream on a hot, sunny day - less than great support and development on this would most definitely hurt the rumour and sales numbers of the entire Intel NUC range.

Re: RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - ThaDraGun - 2014-02-06

(2014-02-05, 18:39)brywright Wrote: What is navigating around like in XBMC? For example some heavy skins like aeon nox, does it load all the posters/fanart quickly or do you see them trickle in?

+1

Ive been trying to get this answered since it was released but no one has posted yet! Sad
The only thing holding me back from getting one right now.

I already have an xios and it plays 1080p just fine... can't do the big skins in xbmc tho. If I upgrade I need to be sure everything will run fast and smooth

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - saunderez - 2014-02-06

(2014-02-06, 01:21)ThaDraGun Wrote:
(2014-02-05, 18:39)brywright Wrote: What is navigating around like in XBMC? For example some heavy skins like aeon nox, does it load all the posters/fanart quickly or do you see them trickle in?

+1

Ive been trying to get this answered since it was released but no one has posted yet! Sad
The only thing holding me back from getting one right now.
I tried every skin available and they were all very usable speed wise. This is under Windows 8.1. I've gone back to Confluence because I like the simplicity but all other skins are very usable right now, unlike on my ATV2.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - rizo - 2014-02-06

just using the stock skin now and its smooth. will likely stick to it.

(2014-02-05, 18:48)asm495 Wrote: I'm still not clear whether hardware decode is supported or not. I was previously going to order but they went out of stock everywhere in the UK. However, I don't think I will if hardware decode is not going to work in OpenElec.
hardware decoding is supported, at least it shows ff-h264-dxva2 in codec info when playing a non-hi10p video. dxva checker fails to run in windows 8.1.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - saunderez - 2014-02-06

(2014-02-05, 18:48)asm495 Wrote: I'm still not clear whether hardware decode is supported or not. I was previously going to order but they went out of stock everywhere in the UK. However, I don't think I will if hardware decode is not going to work in OpenElec.

Yeah hardware decoding is definitely working, disable it and watch the CPU usage go through the roof.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - invision - 2014-02-06

Running openelec gotham nightly, 4gb ram and 120gb ssd with this new baytrail nuc DN2820FYKH.

In terms of the menus, they are relatively snappy when scrolling through them. Art loads instantly and certainly doesn't trickle in as if its struggling. It certainly outperforms the old XIOS box i was using. Using the old Frodo aeon nox skin is also a pleasant experience. I don't notice any huge performance loss when scrolling through my library.

It's worth mentioning that aeon nox is not optimised for gotham, and you will certainly encounter some weird glitches. This is no way the fault of the NUC, its a skin issue. These problems include: red curtains appearing randomly instead of the movie art (occasionally). Losing your position in your library if you exit and then re-enter the library, or view other libraries. Menu headings appearing in the middle of text on the settings page. Downloading subtitles using any subtitle addon will require some XML tweaking. And a few other minor issues.

Video playback on this NUC has been hit and miss. It plays back my 720p content fine. 1080p is a different story. Most of my 1080p content plays back with dropped frames in high action scenes. Some of my high bitrate 1080p content [with HD audio] plays back even choppier with dropped frames during the whole playback, while others just during high action scenes. This could just be my isolated issue, so i would love to hear other peoples experiences with high bitrate content on this NUC. I also have the new Haswell i3 NUC and have none of these issues with the same files.

The only other problem i have found is the NUC refuses to enter suspend/sleep mode without sometimes crashing. When i select suspend from the XBMC menu, theres a 50% chance the NUC will 'lock up' and go to a black screen in a 'frozen' state with the fans still spinning, requiring a hard reboot by holding the power button. Then there is a 50% chance the NUC will properly suspend. If it properly suspends, it can then be woken up by pressing the power button on my MCE remote which is a good sign. I have a similar problem with my i3 NUC (except with that NUC the problem is a little different, instead of crashing on suspend, it will always wake up from suspend after 2 seconds of entering the suspended state)

Anyway, these are my experiences with this NUC. I'm interested in hearing how this NUC performs for other people.

Update: To prove to myself the problem is the NUC and not some of my specific 1080p encodes, i used the jellyfish bitrate tests over USB 3.0 and a gigabit LAN and here are my findings:

15Mbps - plays fine without any dropped frames
20Mbps - hiccups during playback with dropped frames.
25Mbps and above - is completely unwatchable with frames dropping almost every second

These are disappointing results to say the least. Bearing in mind these files do not have any audio overhead, it's no wonder the NUC struggles with my high bitrate1080p rips and bluray remuxes. I find it strange that the guys over at legitreviews claimed that the NUC played back 20mbit DTS-HD rips without any issues. Hopefully we can get a few NUC owners here to do their own tests, especially with these jellyfish test files, and see whether our results are consistent.

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-dn2820fykh-bay-trail-system-review_135053/6

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - dCrypt - 2014-02-06

(2014-02-06, 04:38)invision Wrote: Update: To prove to myself the problem is the NUC and not some of my specific 1080p encodes, i used the jellyfish bitrate tests over USB 3.0 and a gigabit LAN and here are my findings:

15Mbps - plays fine without any dropped frames
20Mbps - hiccups during playback with dropped frames.
25Mbps and above - is completely unwatchable with frames dropping almost every second

These are disappointing results to say the least. Bearing in mind these files do not have any audio overhead, it's no wonder the NUC struggles with my high bitrate1080p rips and bluray remuxes.

Thanks, this data is perfect for comparison. However,

1) Please, tell us which OE snapshot build did you use.
2) Please, post the jellyfish videos download site (don't think everyone knows where to download them)

invision Wrote:I find it strange that the guys over at legitreviews claimed that the NUC played back 20mbit DTS-HD rips without any issues. Hopefully we can get a few NUC owners here to do their own tests, especially with these jellyfish test files, and see whether our results are consistent.

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-dn2820fykh-bay-trail-system-review_135053/6

Maybe it's a matter of BIOS version (they are using v0024, which has not been released yet) or OpenElec version, as you both are using nightly/snapshots versions and they can differ depending on the date you downloaded it.

Kind regards.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - embrion - 2014-02-06

I believe it might be something related to drivers. I don't remember it those are same people all the time but I see on this forum that in general Win 8.1 gives better experience then OpenELEC.