Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH (/showthread.php?tid=187433)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - Nix_Zero - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-13, 14:20)pjtpjt Wrote: The NUC's price is exactly 1/3.
Well, it's not exactly true, if you add a 4GB of RAM, and a 500GB HDD, and Windows 8, but I couldn't find the ASUS bare. So if you want to use OpenELEC or a Linux distro, and don't want a HDD, but an SSD, then it's not the right choice.
The speed difference is not that much, the 1007 uses a faster RAM.

I cant find the nuc cheaper than 140€ (including taxes and shipping), vivopc comes 175€ so the difference is less than 4gb ram + 500gb hd cost, at least here.

(2014-02-13, 14:17)embrion Wrote: NUC is smaller and has build in IR so you can wake if from power off and no ugly dongles ruining the whole minimalistic look. I cannot see anything more.
7,5w vs 17w tdc (and probablty a quieter fan that need to run at lower rpm or not at all while idling) and a slimmer case on nuc side, the ability to mount bigger 3.5" hd and more usb ports on the other, I suppose.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - M1cky_B - 2014-02-13

Got my Celeron NUC the other day, after some issues with the BIOS finally got it sorted..

Now having some issues with openelec & a MCE remote / harmony remote.. Whenever using the MCE remote while navigating menus/video lists sometimes it will move 2 selections instead of the one it's supposed to, when using a Harmony remote it's worse and nearly every 2nd/3rd selection its doing the same thing..

Has anyone experienced this? Was thinking about trying Windows 8 & XBMC instead

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - shinjijai - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-13, 16:18)M1cky_B Wrote: Got my Celeron NUC the other day, after some issues with the BIOS finally got it sorted..

Now having some issues with openelec & a MCE remote / harmony remote.. Whenever using the MCE remote while navigating menus/video lists sometimes it will move 2 selections instead of the one it's supposed to, when using a Harmony remote it's worse and nearly every 2nd/3rd selection its doing the same thing..

Has anyone experienced this? Was thinking about trying Windows 8 & XBMC instead

Go to myharmony.com > your devices > select the MCE remote and MCE keyboard (if you set it up to have both) > change device settings > device command repeate > set it to 1 or lower, but I found 0 just repeats the command still, and 1 was my sweet spot.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - chaseme - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-13, 09:57)Crssi Wrote: Thank you man. Smile

This is allmost everything I need... the only showstopper I see now is just DTS-HD passtrough... but I believe that this will be sorted out soon.

Uh... can you comment also on a fan noise using Aeon Nox?
Is it loud?
When does it "kick-in"?
Do you have something to compare with?

On i5 haswell, the only time it does, is when updating library (and it does not bother me)... otherwise it is very rearely.
And when it does, it is still 3 times lower than my XtreamerPro.

Honestly I've yet to hear the fan ever. Even when setting this thing up 2' from my left ear on my desk. Never heard it spin up or kick in due to load etc. I do have the NUC in a closed cabinet in my unit, so it's def in a hotter than open air setup and I still don't hear it.

I had a Dell i7 workstation before this and it was silent, had a Boxee Box before than and you could hear the faint grumble of the fan bearing.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - mason - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-10, 11:53)two515ty Wrote: It's not listed in the specs, the Haswell models don't support it, and the fact that there is a header for it means that it's something optional, not something that comes with the board by default. I'm fairly sure everything I've read about CEC on the NUC's says it's not there.

Just a short update for completion, the Pulse Eight CEC adapter is working in the D34010WYK NUC. I got a faulty miniHDMI cable with no proper CEC signal. It takes a little soldering but otherwise works and fits nicely. #justfyi

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - davidh2k - 2014-02-13

(2014-02-13, 18:41)mason Wrote:
(2014-02-10, 11:53)two515ty Wrote: It's not listed in the specs, the Haswell models don't support it, and the fact that there is a header for it means that it's something optional, not something that comes with the board by default. I'm fairly sure everything I've read about CEC on the NUC's says it's not there.

Just a short update for completion, the Pulse Eight CEC adapter is working in the D34010WYK NUC. I got a faulty miniHDMI cable with no proper CEC signal. It takes a little soldering but otherwise works and fits nicely. #justfyi

Can you add a picture of it? That would be appreciated. Still not sure wether Celeron or i3...

Greetings
David

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - mason - 2014-02-13

@davidh2k will do, it just needs some clean resoldering and fitting...

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - mtx512 - 2014-02-13

Slightly off topic, how does this little box perform as simple PC under Linux, ie for browsing, videos, etc. Are there Linux drivers available for GPU/VPU?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - mhaaland - 2014-02-14

(2014-02-13, 10:28)dCrypt Wrote:
(2014-02-13, 03:50)chaseme Wrote: Still no DTS-HD in Win 8.1, it's currently unsupported in the drivers it would seem. Any DTS-HD or MA causes the vid to playback around 1-2FPS...

And what about hd audio passthrough in openelec? Does it work?

HD Audio works in Openelec (Nightly Gotham builds). Waiting for driver update for Win 8.1.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - dCrypt - 2014-02-14

(2014-02-14, 00:13)mhaaland Wrote:
(2014-02-13, 10:28)dCrypt Wrote:
(2014-02-13, 03:50)chaseme Wrote: Still no DTS-HD in Win 8.1, it's currently unsupported in the drivers it would seem. Any DTS-HD or MA causes the vid to playback around 1-2FPS...

And what about hd audio passthrough in openelec? Does it work?

HD Audio works in Openelec (Nightly Gotham builds). Waiting for driver update for Win 8.1.

Maybe I need to be more specific: does HD Audio passthrough work in OpenElec with the DN2820 NUC? I've found the following info in the NUC documentation:

http://openelec.tv/forum/64-installation/69105-so-does-any-one-have-the-bay-trail-nuc-dn2820fykh?start=75#97831

I'm afraid there is no codec support for HD audio passthrough. Can anyone confirm OE+DN2820 NUC does support HD audio passthrough?

Kind regards.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - JasonHoffman - 2014-02-14

(2014-02-13, 22:56)mtx512 Wrote: Slightly off topic, how does this little box perform as simple PC under Linux, ie for browsing, videos, etc. Are there Linux drivers available for GPU/VPU?

I've used it for web browsing and word processing in both Windows 8.1 and Linux Mint and it performs very well. I know there's a lot of buzz around this unit as an HTPC and it's great for that, but as a workstation it does quite nicely too.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - mhaaland - 2014-02-14

(2014-02-14, 00:59)dCrypt Wrote:
(2014-02-14, 00:13)mhaaland Wrote:
(2014-02-13, 10:28)dCrypt Wrote: And what about hd audio passthrough in openelec? Does it work?

Maybe I need to be more specific: does HD Audio passthrough work in OpenElec with the DN2820 NUC? I've found the following info in the NUC documentation:

http://openelec.tv/forum/64-installation/69105-so-does-any-one-have-the-bay-trail-nuc-dn2820fykh?start=75#97831

I'm afraid there is no codec support for HD audio passthrough. Can anyone confirm OE+DN2820 NUC does support HD audio passthrough?

Kind regards.

In Openelec you have to enable the advanced settings before you can select your receiver is compatible with DTS-HD etc.

After I did that my receiver shows the DTS-HD icon lit up. A'm I missing something else? Some other way to confirm it is bit-streaming?

Has anyone tried the standard Openelec 3.2.4 release with the new BIOS?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - Bigjezza - 2014-02-14

Hi, just thought I'd share my experience with this device so far:

I updated to bios 025 straight out of the box. Disabled legacy boot, installed 8.1 from a fat32 USB stick onto a samsung ssd, with 4gb ram.
Updated all drivers, setup my hdhomerun with the latest January 2014 drivers
Tuned MediaCenter, played around. Disabled windows defender, it was hogging the CPU.

First impressions:
It is a bit slower than what I'm used to within MediaCenter. This is replacing a q6700 in my bedroom, so to me the space, noise and power saving are well worth it. MCE is still quite usable though, and it is way more responsive than your average smart tv.

I tried live tv right after fresh boot (as soon as the desktop loaded) and MCE froze, infact I tried this several times, each time it froze. I disabled all non ms services and intel startup items, and MCE seems ok on cold boot now.

I've only had it 4 hours, but so far so good.... I'm a happy chappy!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - calisto - 2014-02-14

(2014-02-12, 22:14)RideLikeTheWind Wrote: @ twelvebore, mstang1988 and two515ty

Thanks guys for the valuable info. This has helped me a lot and I'm now off to buy one of these now. I'll give the SSD a miss for now and if the UI etc. is too slow I'll upgrade later.
Took me ages to find somewhere in the UK that sells these boxes but I finally found one!

Again thanks,

RLTW

Hi,

where did you find it in UK please?

Calisto

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - RideLikeTheWind - 2014-02-14

(2014-02-12, 23:37)bekter Wrote: Ridelikethewind could you post me a link to a uk supplier pls, having trouble trying to find one Sad

Hi bekter/calisto
I've ordered mine from Ambros PC's (http://www.ambros.co.uk/product/1820/intel-dn2820fyk-next-unit-of-computing-nuc.html). Initially it looked good but a day after ordering they rang me to say they didn't have any stock. I was a bit disappointed at this as they didn't show this on their website (and still don't now)! They said they should have them in next week..... If they don't I'll be cancelling and the search will start again. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

RideLikeTheWind