Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH (/showthread.php?tid=187433)

RE: Intel NUC DN2820fykh - thethirdnut - 2014-02-24

I believe I tried a 13.10 ISO and the result was a big failwhale...

I'm going with daily build since it's already 14.04 and the 3.13 kernel it comes with at least *mostly works* from what I can tell.

Planning to use this thread as basis with difference in base OS + kernel PPA. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707

RE: Intel NUC DN2820fykh - Le Freak - 2014-02-24

Hi.I just got my 2820 last week and went for the 3.14 kernel.Found that Hdmi works a treat.Dolby digital also works thru my sony amp.For the mo I`m gonna lock my kernel as all seems to work well.Initially tho my desttop was quite broken till I installed 3.14.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - pratt733 - 2014-02-24

Thanks for the info. So did you install Ubuntu 14.04 to get that kernel?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - Le Freak - 2014-02-24

No I didn`t.I just intalled 3.14 in 13.10.Generally I don`t like installing betas or even when stuff is first released.I`ve also stopped the upgrade bit in settings so will wait with 14.04 to see how that fairs.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - vivithemage - 2014-02-24

anyone know a place that has these in stock for the MSRP?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - kindrudekid - 2014-02-25

(2014-02-24, 20:56)thethirdnut Wrote: I believe I tried a 13.10 ISO and the result was a big failwhale...

I'm going with daily build since it's already 14.04 and the 3.13 kernel it comes with at least *mostly works* from what I can tell.

Planning to use this thread as basis with difference in base OS + kernel PPA. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707
'

How stable is it?

(2014-02-24, 23:30)Le Freak Wrote: No I didn`t.I just intalled 3.14 in 13.10.Generally I don`t like installing betas or even when stuff is first released.I`ve also stopped the upgrade bit in settings so will wait with 14.04 to see how that fairs.

I know, I made a horrible mistake of making my server on archlinux, tough other than the usual problems, it does tend to work way better than ubuntu

(2014-02-24, 23:58)vivithemage Wrote: anyone know a place that has these in stock for the MSRP?

I bought mine from provantage in USA, 130+5 out of pocket, no tax and 2 day shipping.

PS: if you choose to order from them, check you spam as they need to verify payment if placing for first time ! they are not well known but I have only heard great things from them!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - vivithemage - 2014-02-25

provantage is OOS until April 1 they said.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - kindrudekid - 2014-02-25

(2014-02-25, 00:31)vivithemage Wrote: provantage is OOS until April 1 they said.

Hmmmm lucky me I guess!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - Geekzilla - 2014-02-25

Hopefully Intel sees the great demand for these and starts making them in sufficient quantities. My buddy is looking to buy one and I'm advising him to wait, because when the next wave of inventory shows up it should gravitate back towards $130-$140.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - pr0xZen - 2014-02-25

Any indications why Intel is having such a hard time delivering these? Are they really selling /that/ well - or have there been any manufacuring halts/issues? My first delivery date was february 5., I'm currently looking at march 26 - still unconfirmed. Seems to be the same with all other retailers here in Norway. All the "china stuff" accessories, arrived with the slow boat weeks ago...

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail/Silvermont 2013Q4 edition) - pjtpjt - 2014-02-25

(2014-02-24, 14:20)schmickers Wrote:
(2014-02-22, 12:28)fritsch Wrote: For Ubuntu folks: Everything that is needed is in wsnipex mesa ppa, including libva1 and libva-driver-intel

Don't suppose you (or any of the other people in this thread) feel like doing some hand-holding for an XBMC newbie?

I want to install XBMC on top of Ubuntu 13.10 on this model of NUC.

I have finished installing Ubuntu and currently have stock 13.10.

What do I need to do now? If I add the wsnipex PPA, can I just then apt-get install xbmc?

Do I need to do anything special to get audio working? It doesn't seem to be working out of the box over HDMI.

I'll tell you what I did.
1. First of all, you can install XBMC any time, it will work all right, but will use a lot of CPU, since it will decode video using a software decoder.
2. If you want sound over the HDMI, then the 3.14 RC1 kernel is what you need (i've tried 3.14 RC2, but something wasn't right)
3. I had to build the vaapi intel-driver myself, I can give you some help if you get stuck.

Now I have both sound and HW accelerated playback. Take it step-by-step, that's how I did it, and it works now.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - ozimek - 2014-02-25

I just ordered this NUC, and wanted to confirm that it uses a "normal" HDMI cable. No mini-HDMI-nonsense, right?

Haven't decided on the OS yet, but I think I will give this OpenELEC a chance. Eventually I'll probably install windows on it, but I need to check if I have some older license laying around that I could purchase an upgrade for. I'm not too keen on shelling out the full price for a windows 8, that I expect to hate anyway Smile

I ordered a 120GB SATA as well. As I saw earlier in this thread it was recommended to install OpenELEC on an SSD as that would be faster than running off of a USB-memory stick (3.0). Are there any special dual-boot preparations/considerations I should do now in order to be able to install Windows on it later on? Thanks in advance.

BTW, they don't seem to be overly hard to find in stock around here (Denmark/Norway).

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - Geekzilla - 2014-02-25

Normal HDMI cable.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - Vincent1983 - 2014-02-26

Dear Members,

As stated before im still having problems with DTS HD master audio.
When this function is enabled the image slows down and the sound sounds like a chopper.
When disabling this function the stream returns to normal DTS. I have a dts-hd capable receiver
so that shouldn't be the problem.

Can anyone confirm that he has a working setup of the Nuc 2820 with Openelec Xbmc and DTS HD audio?

Hopefully can one of you answer the question as i have read more about this issue on this and other forums.

Thank You.
Vincent.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pratt733 - 2014-02-26

Are you using a nightly build? I'm using a nightly from a couple of nights ago (I can't check the exact one right now) and this worked perfectly for me.