Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH (/showthread.php?tid=187433)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - -DDD- - 2014-03-12

Code:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=661&cmp[]=1847&cmp[]=2145

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - embrion - 2014-03-12

+ Haswell based Celeron 2955U
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+2955U+%40+1.40GHz&id=2073

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - -DDD- - 2014-03-12

This CPU is only available on GB Brix i think?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - iSadic - 2014-03-12

Anyone using a One for All remote with this HTPC?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - xbs08 - 2014-03-12

(2014-03-12, 09:36)embrion Wrote:
(2014-03-09, 12:16)xbs08 Wrote: After reading the long thread still haven't find how the DN2820 compared to the 1007U?
Anyone that used both can help?
Perf. level little bit higher than Celeron 847- at least with Windows as for today.
Check CpuBenchmark website for numbers. If budget allows, I'd stick to i3 one or Haswell Celeron based if such appears (there will be Asus Chromebox based on it soon). DN2820 is really Atom.

(2014-03-12, 09:40)-DDD- Wrote:
Code:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=661&cmp[]=1847&cmp[]=2145

(2014-03-12, 10:45)embrion Wrote: + Haswell based Celeron 2955U
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+2955U+%40+1.40GHz&id=2073

Thanks guys!

If the DN2820FYKH XBMC/OE performance is the same as my PC I'll be very happy.
Compared to my old desktop, which runs W7 XBMC and OE flawlessly...
http://tinyurl.com/pvhsknc

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pr0xZen - 2014-03-12

Any news or tips on working the Windows 8 Netflix app, with WMC remote? I currently can't get it to do jack within the app.
Also - I'm stuck at making the power button on WMC remote powering down the NUC - it currently puts the NUC to sleep. Boot time to Win8.1 pro and into XBMC is about 12 seconds, so I'd prefer to actually power down by remote. Any pointers?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - kyoo - 2014-03-12

(2014-03-12, 21:39)pr0xZen Wrote: Any news or tips on working the Windows 8 Netflix app, with WMC remote? I currently can't get it to do jack within the app.
Also - I'm stuck at making the power button on WMC remote powering down the NUC - it currently puts the NUC to sleep. Boot time to Win8.1 pro and into XBMC is about 12 seconds, so I'd prefer to actually power down by remote. Any pointers?

I started toying with EventGhost last night and after a frustrating start, I did get my MCE remotes working again.. at least for XBMC.. But I did notice that my MCE remotes stopped working w/ the Windows 8.1 OS after I installed EventGhost.. so I still have some frustration ahead of me.. if the Netflix "Metro" app can be controlled with the MCE remote before EventGhost was installed, I'm not sure.. I plan to continue down the EventGhost path, as it looks very powerful.. I think I saw some mention of how to make it send a SHUTDOWN instead of a STANDBY with the MCE Power button press "event".. I suspect it isn't hard.. just a matter of dragging that IR event to the SHUTDOWN action. I'd prefer to have it exit XBMC, and then go into STANDBY mode.. then when it returns from standby (resumes), I want it to launch XBMC again.. because occasionally my XBMC launches up in some wonky resolution after resuming from standby..

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - xbs08 - 2014-03-13

Any real gain in booting OE from USB 3.0 port vs. USB 2.0 port with a USB 3.0 flash drive?
Trying to avoid a "massive" Sandisk Extreme 3.0 sticking out of the front of the tiny NUC Big Grin

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pr0xZen - 2014-03-13

(2014-03-12, 21:56)kyoo Wrote: I started toying with EventGhost last night and after a frustrating start, I did get my MCE remotes working again.. at least for XBMC.. But I did notice that my MCE remotes stopped working w/ the Windows 8.1 OS after I installed EventGhost.. so I still have some frustration ahead of me.. if the Netflix "Metro" app can be controlled with the MCE remote before EventGhost was installed, I'm not sure.. I plan to continue down the EventGhost path, as it looks very powerful.. I think I saw some mention of how to make it send a SHUTDOWN instead of a STANDBY with the MCE Power button press "event".. I suspect it isn't hard.. just a matter of dragging that IR event to the SHUTDOWN action. I'd prefer to have it exit XBMC, and then go into STANDBY mode.. then when it returns from standby (resumes), I want it to launch XBMC again.. because occasionally my XBMC launches up in some wonky resolution after resuming from standby..

I have not really had any issues with my MCE (Lenovo) remote from the start - it does fine with XBMC etc. AFAIK, the Netflix Metro app does not natively support remote control navigation (its more targeted towards touch operated units I figure). I'm looking a bit into EventGhost, but as my MCE remote is currently working fine - it seems a bit "much", of only to change what the remotes power button does. (unless this is the only functioning route).

I'm experiencing a different problem here - maybe someone could shine some light on this. (And please, don't tell me to buy new equipment etc - I'm looking for a working solution with what I've got now).

As my AV reciever does not have HDMI connections, I'm currently running HDMI from the NUC straight to the TV. Audio connection is through a Cmedia CM106 USB soundcard, Digital Audio SPDIF output to the AV Receiver. (The NUC only has HDMI and stereo jack). VLC, XBMC etc, does DD/DTS passthrough and stereo output nicely.

Now the Netflix Metro app - not so much. When I select 5.1 audio (must be selected manually) - playback drops to 1-2fps, slowly going to complete halt eventually. Actual stream (buffered bitrate) is "full blast"(5800kbps), so this has nothing to do with bandwith, but rather playback. When I select stereo audio again, playback continues just fine.

Has anyone encountered similar behavior? I'm suspecting either the Netflix Metro App or the Intel HD graphics drivers are not quite happy with digital output thorugh a different device than the same HDMI that outputs the image.

If I select HDMI audio as default playback device, I have no playback issues with 5.1 audio in the Netflix Metro app. But as the TV cannot do 5.1 passthrough, this gets me no sound at all. I also tested analog 6 channel (5.1) output from the USB soundcard, outputing each "pair" at a time to the AV (It doesn't have 5.1 analog input) - Netflix handles this too. It just will not cooperate with 5.1 output over SPDIF.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - xbs08 - 2014-03-13

I just got my DN2820 and 4GB of RAM from Crucial.
Changed BIOS setting to boot OpenELEC but everytime I try to select 512M as Minimum IGD the BIOS freezes.
Anyone?

EDIT: Connected a mouse and was able to get the bios going, all good Big Grin

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - xbs08 - 2014-03-14

After a little trouble with the IGD I must say I'm very pleased with the NUC.
GUI performance is very, very good in Confluence on a +600 items library.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - Mark142 - 2014-03-14

I cant decide between this NUC or the zotac zbox id18 celeron 1007u. I can them both for about £160 including RAM and HDD.
Not sure which would make the best XBMC box. Both are an improvement on my current E-350 box

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2145&cmp[]=1847&cmp[]=1777

I know CPU benchmarks are not an indication on how well XBMC will run but the NUC has form factor , built in WIFI / BT and IR receiver going for it, where as ZOTAC has speed and an extra USB 3 if required?

Hard decision to make. Can anybody compare the performance of 1080p playback on both. Thanks

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - -DDD- - 2014-03-14

There may be a difference with the 24p Bug on both Intel CPUs/Chipsets

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pr0xZen - 2014-03-14

To make an update to my own post regarding the Netflix issue:

It seems this might be an issue with the Intel HD4xxx drivers or similar, not handling DD+ "or higher" bitstreams. Hopefully someone here can give some feedback on their experiences and setup with 5.1 digital output (HDMI or S/PDIF) using the Windows 8.1 Netflix Metro app. If outputting to an AV receiver, please include connectivity and AVR model / decoding capacities.

Other than this, I'm glad to report that the NUC, with Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB and 4GB Crucial CT51264BF160B, running Win 8.1 Pro - is perfoming way beyond expectations. With auto-login and XBMClauncher, Boot time into XBMC after BIOS is about 10 seconds if not less. I'm fairly new to XBMC, all in all - this is looking to be a very good experience.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - Fra-HTPC - 2014-03-14

Daft question about the Fast Boot option in the BIOS, anyone enabled it and confirmed able to get back into the BIOS with a USB keyboard?