Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH (/showthread.php?tid=187433)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pr0xZen - 2014-03-15

Well isn't this an oddball; There is major shortage of these all over Europe - people cannot get their hands on it soon enough.... and it sort of looks like Intel is discontinuing them - several vendors are already showing these as "discontinued product".

http://qdms.intel.com/dm/d.aspx/F2EB08EF-03D4-49EB-8B0E-DE91A9D536E3/PCN112862-00.pdf

It will likely be updated to 2830 celeron for the next edition - but having observed how impossible it has been for Intel to manufacture the DN2820FYKH fast enough, I hope they'll be coming up with more efficient strategy next time, without boosting prices too much.

If you're looking to get one of these - better hurry up - or maybe expect a good wait for its successor.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pr0xZen - 2014-03-15

(2014-03-11, 10:56)jjd-uk Wrote: The problem is that Intel have so far failed to provide the required Intel Management Engine driver to get DTS-HD working on Windows, currently the only way to get DTS-HD is via the Linux OS with a distro such as Openelec.
Turns out this is also the culprit for Netflix Metro app, 5.1 DD+ playback issues. The app requires Protected Audio Path for the DD+ stream. No IME driver, no Protected Audio Path.

I mean, they officially announced DTS-HD capacities with this. About time they churn out the neccessary drivers for their own platform to do so.

(2014-03-14, 22:31)Fra-HTPC Wrote: Daft question about the Fast Boot option in the BIOS, anyone enabled it and confirmed able to get back into the BIOS with a USB keyboard?

Just tested, sure thing. According to the BIOS "help hints" - to enter BIOS with fastboot enabled: Shut down the NUC, then push and hold the power button until you hear a beep. While I got no beep - if holding the power button for 3-4 seconds then releasing - you get a full boot menu. Visual BIOS included.

Now if its acually any faster... not really noticably - atleast here. Did replace the NUC logo with a nasty Windows 8 logo though. Milage may vary.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - Fra-HTPC - 2014-03-15

Thanks for checking!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - jjd-uk - 2014-03-15

(2014-03-15, 09:23)pr0xZen Wrote:
(2014-03-11, 10:56)jjd-uk Wrote: The problem is that Intel have so far failed to provide the required Intel Management Engine driver to get DTS-HD working on Windows, currently the only way to get DTS-HD is via the Linux OS with a distro such as Openelec.
Turns out this is also the culprit for Netflix Metro app, 5.1 DD+ playback issues. The app requires Protected Audio Path for the DD+ stream. No IME driver, no Protected Audio Path.

I mean, they officially announced DTS-HD capacities with this. About time they churn out the neccessary drivers for their own platform to do so.

I wonder if it's a strategy to not hurt sales of the Core i3/i5 models where they probably have greater margin. The hardware is certainly capable as proven by Openelec and every other version of NUC has had the IME driver from launch which is why I'm suspicious it's more than a oversight.

I've even looked at the drivers for some of the desktop boards coming out using Baytrail-D processors and even they don't have any IME driver available currently. Would be a shame if they deliberately cripple the Baytrail platform for Windows usage, as it could have been the perfect low cost alternative to the android boxes.

My interest has now moved onto the slightly higher cost Gigabyte Brix 2955U which uses a Haswell based Celeron and has the IME driver available.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - xbs08 - 2014-03-15

Here's some info on fast boot...
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034050.htm

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - xbs08 - 2014-03-15

In OpenELEC nigthly after suspend I can't open my library.
Reboot/Shutdown Restart works fine.
Anyone having this issue?

(2014-03-15, 11:09)jjd-uk Wrote: I wonder if it's a strategy to not hurt sales of the Core i3/i5 models where they probably have greater margin. The hardware is certainly capable as proven by Openelec and every other version of NUC has had the IME driver from launch which is why I'm suspicious it's more than a oversight.

I've even looked at the drivers for some of the desktop boards coming out using Baytrail-D processors and even they don't have any IME driver available currently. Would be a shame if they deliberately cripple the Baytrail platform for Windows usage, as it could have been the perfect low cost alternative to the android boxes.

My interest has now moved onto the slightly higher cost Gigabyte Brix 2955U which uses a Haswell based Celeron and has the IME driver available.
I can't really say the thought didn't cross my mind. Considering HDCP / PAP requirements from Netflix for SuperHD / 5.1 audio, and due to bitrate, DD+ also requires HDMI connection for bitstream passthorugh - my thoughts went straight towards that region. In particular after observing how there were no actual crashes - and playback would resume nicely when activating PCM stereo audio again. I don't have a HD audio capable AVR, thus it was not until I saw someone mentioning the exact same symthoms with DTS-HD in XBMC, that I pieced it together and contacted Netflix tech department (whom confirmed the PAP requirement). Final nail in the coffin: My Samsung ultrabook with HD4000 gpu, wich does have the IME drivers - does not have these issues.

I completely agree with you - Intel not serving up such essensial components for their own platform, even 3+ months after retail release - smell of more than just oversight. I mean, its not like its an integrated driver or we got one and it was faulty. It is a completely separate driver package - and its been a requirement for these things for the last 3 years. Hopefully they will deliver sooner or later - its clear they've had a lot on their plate with win8.1 issues and win7 driver development lately. This little budget NUC is a golden nugget for Intel, I'd imagine the aburd sales numbers more than make up for the more moderate sales on i3/i5 units. Acutally, the publicity alone should increase i3/i5 sales thorugh "step-up sales" with retailers - or for those simply wanting a bit more to go on. For the average consumer, just wanting a small, basic htpc for media and a handful of internets - these budget NUCs are more than up to the task.
(2014-03-15, 15:09)xbs08 Wrote: In OpenELEC nigthly after suspend I can't open my library.
Reboot/Shutdown Restart works fine.
Anyone having this issue?
I suggest you have a read here: http://openelec.tv/forum/76-network-filesystems/63282-problem-with-network-shares-after-sleep-or-wake-up
Hard to say if it you're experiencing the samme issue, and thus these things will help - but its atleast very closely related so you should be able to pick up something useful.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - ralph_sinclair - 2014-03-15

XBMC audio/video settings?

I have found that DTS core audio (1.5 mb/s) has been a bit out of synch, and I have noticed juddery panning on 1080p content.

I have xbmc set to match the display rate of the source, and I'm working with an LG TV. I seem to be getting good 24p.

What settings are best for this hardware on Windows 7 64-bit with XBMC? Currently I am using DXVA-HD and DirectX audio (HDMI to the TV). When I was using ASAPI, the synch for DTS was way worse. My XBMC build is about three weeks old (Feb 25), if that makes a difference.

Otherwise I am finding this to be a good machine although it may not provide enough USB power for two TV tuners. I get occasional blue screens which are blamed on the Hauppauge Aero M driver and I find it often drops detection of either this tuner or the Diamond TV Wonder 750 I am using for analog cable. It seems to have just/almost enough CPU power to encode analog cable and play back HDTV at the same time.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - csgabe - 2014-03-16

USB 3.0 drivers for Windows 7:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3782&DwnldID=23698&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+NUC+Boards+and+Kits&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+NUC+Kit+DN2820FYKH&lang=eng

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - vegeta2 - 2014-03-16

Hello,
23,976 is fixed in this model?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pr0xZen - 2014-03-16

(2014-03-15, 21:08)ralph_sinclair Wrote: Otherwise I am finding this to be a good machine although it may not provide enough USB power for two TV tuners. I get occasional blue screens which are blamed on the Hauppauge Aero M driver and I find it often drops detection of either this tuner or the Diamond TV Wonder 750 I am using for analog cable. It seems to have just/almost enough CPU power to encode analog cable and play back HDTV at the same time.
While you might have more luck with recent USB3.0 drivers (and using that port of course) - the power output over USB is limited. This is a known working point for Intel, and they plan to address this in the upcoming successor; It will require a hardware revision.
My solution to USB power limitations have been a powered USB hub. Just don't go for the absolute cheapest ones - some of those are ripoffs (actually USB 1.1 hubs, and/or missing diodes to prevent the hub from drawing excessive current from USB in case of power adapter failure)

(2014-03-16, 11:51)vegeta2 Wrote: Hello,
23,976 is fixed in this model?
Reports suggest that there are no issues with 23.976 playback with recent updates.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - xbs08 - 2014-03-16

(2014-03-15, 18:04)pr0xZen Wrote: I suggest you have a read here: http://openelec.tv/forum/76-network-filesystems/63282-problem-with-network-shares-after-sleep-or-wake-up
Hard to say if it you're experiencing the samme issue, and thus these things will help - but its atleast very closely related so you should be able to pick up something useful.

No luck, I still loose connection on resume.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pr0xZen - 2014-03-17

(2014-03-16, 17:30)xbs08 Wrote: No luck, I still loose connection on resume.
Is the database locally stored? How about the actual media? What XBMC build?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - xbs08 - 2014-03-17

Yes.
SMB shares.
OE 4.0 b2

Found these tickets:
https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/1951
https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/1343

Tried 2 difference USB flash drives (2.0 and 3.0) and using Btrfs didn't solved it.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pr0xZen - 2014-03-17

(2014-03-17, 09:19)xbs08 Wrote: Yes.
SMB shares.
OE 4.0 b2

Tried 2 difference USB flash drives (2.0 and 3.0) and using Btrfs didn't solved it.
Oh. BTRFS was my next suggestion - then I'm blank. I'm sure there are someone here with more knowledge on this.

How do people set up their MCE remotes with XBMC? I'm running Win8.1pro and Gotham Beta1 - the eHome transceiver is there and working, but XBMC will not let me install the MCEremote add-on - neither through repo or zip. Remote is working, but only very basic directional navigation, play/pause/skip/stop and such.