Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH (/showthread.php?tid=187433)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pr0xZen - 2014-03-20

(2014-03-19, 02:26)skoub Wrote: it seems that no Canadian stores have the DN2820FYKH in stock. I have looked for over a month and every canadian stores website says that the item is not available/back order. So what happen to this unit? already discontinued?
I have no real idea about US or Canadian situation, but these have pretty much been is Europe-wide shortage since release. I linked to a white paper by Intel previously here, clearly portraying that the DN2820FYKH will be discontinued veeery soon. Most things point towards a very similar, 2830 based unit taking its place - along with a few upgrades (Beefing up power output over USB 3.0 etc). Timeline for that would just be blind guessing, afaik.

Took me a good month to get mine, and still then it was a fluke of luck.

(2014-03-19, 14:16)sandos Wrote: Not a single word in this thread afaik about wifi. Is anybody using wifi and how stable is it? Preferably linux. Afaik the wifi in my current xs35gt v2 is not very good in linux, and I really want to get rid of my TP cable once and for all.
Usually, no mention of a "basic" feature over a long thread, would be interpreted as quite good news. I cannot speak for linux as I'm running Win8.1pro - but wifi for me is rock solid. I would have suspected moderate signals due to the enclosure design - but it is stronger than my Samsung ultrabook set side by side. Personally I use ethernet though, as my wifi router is outdated, the 2.4GHz band is packed here and I want "optimal" transfer rates between NAS and internal SSD.
(2014-03-19, 14:03)Bigjezza Wrote: Anyone else notice the fan misbehaving after resume from sleep in Windows 8.1?
Or if you set a custom fan speed in the BIOS and save and reboot, that the fan speed and temps are no longer reported in BIOS and the fan spins louder and faster than it should?

I have had this issue on 2 of these. The first one Intel Support suggested I downgrade BIOS from 0025 to see what happens, with no improvement. I updated to 0025 again and it died altogether.

The replacement does the exact same thing. its still on BIOS 0015, I'm a bit scared to up date it lol.
Did you try flashing the bios with the reset jumper trick? It should be covered here. I'm guessing that might be mute now though, if you got it replaced. I have to concentrate really hard in a quiet room, to have a chance of hearing the nuc - and while there is a slight up-pitch while "resuming", it only seem to last for 2-3 seconds.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - thechocobn - 2014-03-20

(2014-03-18, 13:45)xbs08 Wrote: In case someone wonders... I just want to say that the DN2820 plays Hi10P like a champ Big Grin

Samples files:
http://www.koi-sama.net/files/hi10/

w00t Wink

I would have to disagree with you on this one.
I downloaded the two 1080p files among the test files you referred to - for both the playback is not very smooth and many frames are dropped at the beginning when there is a lot of camera movement displayed (press o to check that out during playback). The rest of the file is fine as it's a more steady picture.

I didn't try the 720p files.

I'm running Openelec Beta1, what are you running?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pr0xZen - 2014-03-20

(2014-03-20, 02:29)thechocobn Wrote: I would have to disagree with you on this one.
I downloaded the two 1080p files among the test files you referred to - for both the playback is not very smooth and many frames are dropped at the beginning when there is a lot of camera movement displayed (press o to check that out during playback). The rest of the file is fine as it's a more steady picture.

I didn't try the 720p files.

I'm running Openelec Beta1, what are you running?

I just tried those two 1080p clips on Gotham Beta1, win8.1pro - 4gb crucial + 120gb kingston SSD. Very obvious skipping during the initial panning, smooth after that. With no hardware support, this really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Hell - even some stand-alone HQ blu-ray players struggle with panning.

If you're looking for raw power for software decoding etc - celeron cpu's shouldn't be on the table.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - jimbo223 - 2014-03-20

Hi guys I am about to pull the trigger on a DN2820FYKH0 with 4 gb of ram (bundled) and a 5400rpm 750g hard drive the laptop I use now is the same so figured it would be fine but its on its way out : ( 4 years is not bad.

All I plan to do is youtube at 720 maybe check a few websites, and watch basic mkv/mp4/avi videos most at 720 some at 1080, I just want to make sure this little beast can do that, I plan to run xbmcbuntu. Also I do buy my movies and seasons and have a beast of a computer for ripping and gaming but due to where i live I have to get my shows by other means : ( if i want to keep up and not wait for a season to come out on dvd, can this handle downloading and watching at the same time you think?

thanks for any help.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - Bigjezza - 2014-03-20

(2014-03-20, 01:49)pr0xZen Wrote: Did you try flashing the bios with the reset jumper trick? It should be covered here. I'm guessing that might be mute now though, if you got it replaced. I have to concentrate really hard in a quiet room, to have a chance of hearing the nuc - and while there is a slight up-pitch while "resuming", it only seem to last for 2-3 seconds.

I certainly did Smile It was kaput. I tried disconnecting BIOS battery, PC monitor, etc etc...
Thanks for commenting on your NUCs Resume from sleep, a little piece of me died inside because that is not what mine does...

Is someone able to do the following for me, its really straight forward to test for one of my issues:
Enter BIOS
Goto cooling, choose custom upper/lower limit, save and exit. The NUC will reboot
Enter BIOS - is the fan speed and temps reported? On mine they aren't Sad And the fan goes almost full speed.
This will persist between cold boots, reboots and the only way to rectify is load bios defaults.

In my loungeroom this wouldn't be a problem, but in my bedroom it is driving me nuts.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - xbs08 - 2014-03-20

OpenELEC Beta 2

I'm not seeing any frame drop playing 1080p/FLAC but fps count gets lower during the opening scene, after that fps is normal at ~60-80% CPU usage.

For me Hi10P L5.1 FLAC 5.1 is more of a stress test. If you play these kind of files regularly you may want/need to get more powerfull machine.

New BIOS 0028

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - skoub - 2014-03-20

(2014-03-20, 01:49)pr0xZen Wrote:
(2014-03-19, 02:26)skoub Wrote: it seems that no Canadian stores have the DN2820FYKH in stock. I have looked for over a month and every canadian stores website says that the item is not available/back order. So what happen to this unit? already discontinued?
I have no real idea about US or Canadian situation, but these have pretty much been is Europe-wide shortage since release. I linked to a white paper by Intel previously here, clearly portraying that the DN2820FYKH will be discontinued veeery soon. Most things point towards a very similar, 2830 based unit taking its place - along with a few upgrades (Beefing up power output over USB 3.0 etc). Timeline for that would just be blind guessing, afaik.

i've found this discussion on the Intel forum : https://communities.intel.com/thread/49440 . It's seems that they will get new units only at the end of april.They are also talking about the dn2830. From an Intel guy:

Let me assure you that the DN2820FYKH has NOT been discontinued. It has just been jumping off the shelves faster than we can keep up.

In regards to the processor change - yes - there is going to be an update to this NUC for that. This actually is a stepping change to the N2820 processor, and it is getting a new name. We will be updating the NUC's technical product specification soon.

Regards,
Lois

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - ozimek - 2014-03-20

(2014-03-20, 13:35)skoub Wrote:
(2014-03-20, 01:49)pr0xZen Wrote:

i've found this discussion on the Intel forum : https://communities.intel.com/thread/49440. It's seems that they will get new units only at the end of april.They are also talking about the dn2830. From an Intel guy:

Let me assure you that the DN2820FYKH has NOT been discontinued. It has just been jumping off the shelves faster than we can keep up.

In regards to the processor change - yes - there is going to be an update to this NUC for that. This actually is a stepping change to the N2820 processor, and it is getting a new name. We will be updating the NUC's technical product specification soon.

Regards,
Lois
I can't seem to make your link work. Was there any mention of the missing drivers in that thread?

Remove the . at the end of the link.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - skoub - 2014-03-20

i have updated my post to remove the "dot" in the link

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - rodalpho - 2014-03-20

http://ark.intel.com/products/79052/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N2820-1M-Cache-up-to-2_39-GHz
http://ark.intel.com/products/81071/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N2830-1M-Cache-up-to-2_41-GHz

The N2830 is basically the same as the 2820. Slightly (very slightly) higher turbo speed, and it supports quicksync and securekey, neither of which XBMC uses. No reason to wait.

(2014-03-20, 08:52)Bigjezza Wrote: I certainly did Smile It was kaput. I tried disconnecting BIOS battery, PC monitor, etc etc...
Thanks for commenting on your NUCs Resume from sleep, a little piece of me died inside because that is not what mine does...

Is someone able to do the following for me, its really straight forward to test for one of my issues:
Enter BIOS
Goto cooling, choose custom upper/lower limit, save and exit. The NUC will reboot
Enter BIOS - is the fan speed and temps reported? On mine they aren't Sad And the fan goes almost full speed.
This will persist between cold boots, reboots and the only way to rectify is load bios defaults.

In my loungeroom this wouldn't be a problem, but in my bedroom it is driving me nuts.
(2014-03-20, 12:59)xbs08 Wrote: New BIOS 0028
I suggest you try the new BIOS mentioned here

Here is the update log for V28: (What was fixed/improved)
-
  • Improved fan speed control support.
  • Added mouse support under [F10] Boot Menu
  • Intel® Integrator Toolkit (ITK) fixes:
    Cannot update Setup items with ITK.
    Removed duplicate instance of “Unattended BIOS Configuration”
    Added specific project name
  • Fixed USB2 port compatibility issue
  • Fixed issue where USB keyboard/mouse fails after USB3 driver is installed under Legacy operating system.
  • Fixed issue where USB mouse does not work in the Boot menu.
  • Updated Visual BIOS to version 2.2.4, with Visual Boot Manager version 0.60.
  • Improved EFI variable protection for Setup variable.
  • Fixed compliance test issue with Intel® Smart Connect Technology.
  • Fixed issue where system hangs at POST code 02.
  • Updated PXE OPROM to v2.59.
  • Updated Realtek* UNDI Driver to 2.026.
  • Updated TXE firmware to version 1.0.4.1089 HF4.
  • Updated processor microcode.
  • Added support for the F1 hotkey to display Advanced Help Text.
  • Moved the OS Selection option to the top of the Boot Configuration page.
  • Updated message when no bootable device is found.
  • Fixed issue where system hangs at POST code 69 if Primary and Secondary Temperature input is PCH and Memory

I'll see if I can produce a result on the test you sugested.

(2014-03-20, 08:51)jimbo223 Wrote: Hi guys I am about to pull the trigger on a DN2820FYKH0 with 4 gb of ram (bundled) and a 5400rpm 750g hard drive the laptop I use now is the same so figured it would be fine but its on its way out : ( 4 years is not bad.

All I plan to do is youtube at 720 maybe check a few websites, and watch basic mkv/mp4/avi videos most at 720 some at 1080, I just want to make sure this little beast can do that, I plan to run xbmcbuntu. Also I do buy my movies and seasons and have a beast of a computer for ripping and gaming but due to where i live I have to get my shows by other means : ( if i want to keep up and not wait for a season to come out on dvd, can this handle downloading and watching at the same time you think?

thanks for any help.
It most certainly can handle the use you mention here. Regarding Download and playback at the same time - I'd imagine limitations, if any, would be the HDD. Simultaneous very high bitrate playback and high download speeds - to/from the same HDD - could be troublesome. This has little to do with the NUC itself, Just try to copy a large file to any HDD, and copy another large file off the same drive simultaneously, and you'll see what I mean (both transfer rates will drop dramatically). This is simply the nature of multiple simultaneous processes on a single storage unit - although an SSD would not suffer this as bad as a mechanical hdd)
You could probably work around this with either a fast SSD, or storing unfinished downloads on a smaller local drive, and do playback from an network/usb drive. If you've already got a 2.5 drive, external usb 3.0/2.0 enclosures can be had for about $10 on ebay.
Personally I don't have a problem with this, but my downloads peak around 1.5MB/s.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - Bigjezza - 2014-03-21

I tried bios 0028 with no improvement

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - kindrudekid - 2014-03-21

anyone has sudden xbmc crashes on ubuntu ? it is happening to me today out of the blue