Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH (/showthread.php?tid=187433)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - Crssi - 2014-03-24

I did just for HTPC. Bought i5 (to be for sure, but anyway a that time DN2820 was nonexistent yet).
Played with OE, since there were problems with it at that time I have installed Win 8.1 on the end and works great.
Now I am using it also to run games from steam.

I am waiting to see what will happen with DN2820 NUC to use it for HTPC and current i5 as a desktop, but I am not really sure anymore to go this way.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pjtpjt - 2014-03-24

(2014-03-24, 08:17)jimbo223 Wrote: Hi again guys got my box today : P, trying to install unbuntu 13.10 and it wont work, I tried the usb on my other computer and it works fine boots and all. Updated the bios to 28 or what ever its called also. But when I try and boot off the usb it seems to load alright shows the ubuntu loading screen with the dots moving then comes up with this busybox thing.... any idea's.

Edit: Now when loading I get a the background with the nice hue of colors the bar at the top with the wifi but nothing else loads.

I'm using Linux Mint 16, worked "out of the box". To have sound over HDMI upgrade to kernel 3.14. For video acceleration you'll need modified vaapi drivers, as it was explained in a previous post.
Also OpenELEC beta will work without any problems, full HW accelereation, and sound over HDMI. More so I'm building my own versions from source (for fun, not because I have to) and it works. I've watched mkvs, mtss, and even DVD-s from an external DVD drive, and all worked fine.

(2014-03-24, 09:24)nickr Wrote: Shame you bought such crap hardware. NUC seems to have very very many problems.

I don't say that the hardware is without problems, as every new hardware usually is, but it's far from being that bad that some people advertise it here.
I'd start to consider that there's a level of user error here. Windows 7 and 8(.1) will work without any fuss now, also will Linux, but it might need some tweeking, that's not for beginners.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - Kib - 2014-03-24

From intel support (https://communities.intel.com/message/228204 )

Quote:Hi all,

Let me assure you that the DN2820FYKH has NOT been discontinued. It has just been jumping off the shelves faster than we can keep up.

In regards to the processor change - yes - there is going to be an update to this NUC for that. This actually is a stepping change to the N2820 processor, and it is getting a new name. We will be updating the NUC's technical product specification soon.

Regards,
Lois

In the meantime, I can't buy my NUC :/ It is pretty much sold out everywhere

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - two515ty - 2014-03-24

(2014-03-24, 09:24)nickr Wrote: Shame you bought such crap hardware. NUC seems to have very very many problems.

The only problem I ever had with mine (No HDMI audio unless legacy boot was disabled) was fixed with a bios update. If you're running Windows 8 and use a good MCE-compatible remote, it's almost plug and play (except for having to install the drivers). I use mine and have no problems at all. For the price, this hardware is incredible and quite usable. I think a lot of people are having problems with OpenELEC and other Linux distros, which is not a problem of the hardware.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - kindrudekid - 2014-03-24

(2014-03-21, 12:46)jiak Wrote: For the linux users out there, is HDMI audio working for you?

There was a bug about hdmi audio not working with legacy boot but it is supposed to be fixed with latest BIOS updates. It is still not working for me though (I am using archlinux). Running "aplay -l" in a console reports no hdmi audio devices.

It is also refusing to boot with the latest 3.13 kernels.

Yes I was Using stock Ubuntu ISO as recent kernel updates were disabling audio for me. Then as a test after cloning my device I upgraded again and VIOLA it is working! Though I still have the hdmi audio ppa in place, maybe that matter?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - mlrtime3 - 2014-03-24

(2014-03-15, 21:08)ralph_sinclair Wrote: XBMC audio/video settings?

I have found that DTS core audio (1.5 mb/s) has been a bit out of synch, and I have noticed juddery panning on 1080p content.

I have xbmc set to match the display rate of the source, and I'm working with an LG TV. I seem to be getting good 24p.

What settings are best for this hardware on Windows 7 64-bit with XBMC? Currently I am using DXVA-HD and DirectX audio (HDMI to the TV). When I was using ASAPI, the synch for DTS was way worse. My XBMC build is about three weeks old (Feb 25), if that makes a difference.

I also see jitters during panning shots on 1080p DTS-HD mkvs. However I'm using openelec snapshots.

Anyone else seeing this?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - kindrudekid - 2014-03-24

How is 1080p DTS content playing for you guys? mine always seem to run below 18 FPS, I'm still on Ubuntu tough and once openelec is out of beta, i'll switch to that!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - Verno - 2014-03-24

Works fine here. The only issue I have is related to a bug in the Linux kernel which makes OpenElec sometimes hang when you try to suspend or shutdown. People tend to post more if they have problems and while there were definitely teething issues in the past, most of them have been sorted out now.

Quote:How is 1080p DTS content playing for you guys? mine always seem to run below 18 FPS, I'm still on Ubuntu tough and once openelec is out of beta, i'll switch to that!

No problems here with the OpenElec Gotham beta 2.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pr0xZen - 2014-03-24

(2014-03-24, 20:42)kindrudekid Wrote: How is 1080p DTS content playing for you guys? mine always seem to run below 18 FPS, I'm still on Ubuntu tough and once openelec is out of beta, i'll switch to that!
Win8.1pro here; Gotham beta2 - not a single hickup with 1080p/DTS - smooth sailing so far.
If you want a fairly updated and smooth performance - I'd advice you to jost go for a recent OpenELEC beta, or nightly - right now. The road to official non-beta, non-RC release is very long and slow.

(2014-03-24, 10:56)nickr Wrote: Well I'd have to say that following at least 3 threads on here it seems that there many problems with nucs and their support from Intel. Read them.

For a brand new platform with such wide outreach of users - I'm surprised there aren't more issues reported. I've read and kept up with these threads, and I'd say 75% of the actual errors and malfunctions posted are either well and done fixed by using up to date drivers and BIOS, or user error. I'd divide the rest 25 over design limitations, actual faulty hardware/firmware/drivers and incomatible OS'es. The current NUCs were designed for Win8 and this has been clearly announced - can't blame the NUC for
3rd party developer related issues. And to be fair ; You usually don't hear anything from the people that didn't have any problems - most users that take the time to provide feedback, are the users that have experienced problems.

Probably one of the most important things here - is for new (and old) users to read up on what UEFI (boot) is, how it functions and wether or not their OS of choice supports this. The same goes for Legacy boot, Legacy USB, Secure Boot etc. These settings all have vital functions, and will thus effect you experience greatly, pendening on wether your BIOS settings matches with what you're trying to install and operate. Also keep in mind; as the Intel NUCs are highly integrated platforms, things like USB Legacy support will effect much more than just whatever you stuff your USB ports with.

If you don't know what these things do - you're gonna have a bad time Wink

Beyond this - the DN2820FYKH is a great piece of hardware for price paid... but if you want i5 performance, you'll have to pay the i5 price.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - sliddjur - 2014-03-24

Will this NUC 2820 be able to do hardware decoding on audio (dts?) i dont have a receiver and my tv doesnt support dts.
I plan on running ubuntu or openelec.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pr0xZen - 2014-03-25

(2014-03-24, 23:29)sliddjur Wrote: Will this NUC 2820 be able to do hardware decoding on audio (dts?) i dont have a receiver and my tv doesnt support dts.
Don't think it'll do any hardware audio decoding - DTS decoding isn't exactly free...per say. XBMC might do it though (Not DTS-HD), but still DTS (or DTS core). Regular DTS software decoding isn't really all that cpu intensive.

Otherwise, you could have a look here or google some, might provide some clues:
http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdca.html
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462990/decoding-dts-hd-ma

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - dCrypt - 2014-03-25

(2014-03-24, 08:17)jimbo223 Wrote: Hi again guys got my box today : P, trying to install unbuntu 13.10 and it wont work, I tried the usb on my other computer and it works fine boots and all. Updated the bios to 28 or what ever its called also. But when I try and boot off the usb it seems to load alright shows the ubuntu loading screen with the dots moving then comes up with this busybox thing.... any idea's.

Edit: Now when loading I get a the background with the nice hue of colors the bar at the top with the wifi but nothing else loads.

Try Ubuntu 14.04 beta, as Saucy 13.10 could be too old for this hardware.

BR

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - User 209792 - 2014-03-25

someone could try to play this demo video?
http://e-nautia.com/vanden/disk?p=2148840 (there's a download button to download it)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pr0xZen - 2014-03-25

(2014-03-25, 01:26)darkf3d3 Wrote: someone could try to play this demo video?
http://e-nautia.com/vanden/disk?p=2148840 (there's a download button to download it)

Fluid playback here. 0 frames dropped, cpu usage; 2 cores peaking at ~45%. While I'm seeing (As expected) immensly high bitrates - my TV is 1366x768 - thus there is some serious downscaling going on. Be noted: Playback from local SSD. This is some serious bitrate, parts well beyond 100Mbit/s. Not exactly wifi friendly. If others try, keep this in mind.

If I do get a 4k telly eventually - I noticed that uppering the buffer might be in order. 20MB buffer is of no use here (again - local SSD playback)

Now maybe someone with an actual 4k telly would like to give it a go..?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - asm495 - 2014-03-25

(2014-03-24, 23:29)sliddjur Wrote: Will this NUC 2820 be able to do hardware decoding on audio (dts?) i dont have a receiver and my tv doesnt support dts.

When I first set up my 2820 NUC I forgot to turn on the audio passthrough options for my AV receiver (mainly as they are no "hidden" in advanced settings). I played files with DTS sound and they worked without any issues obviously decoding them before they reached the receiver.