Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH (/showthread.php?tid=187433)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - xbs08 - 2014-05-09

(2014-05-09, 05:59)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-05-08, 23:49)xbs08 Wrote: If suspend is important to you buy the ssd.

There is a workaround for enabling it with USB: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/pull/3038#issuecomment-39067225

Yes there is but there is also a high change it won't work correctly still.

Never worked correctly for me, before being removed and after with workaround and I tried 3 usb flash drives.

Got a cheap 32Gb SSD for 30€ (same price of a decent usb 3.0) and I've been very happy with it ever since Big Grin

I stream all my media from NAS so storage on the NUC isn't important.

(2014-05-09, 09:26)RideLikeTheWind Wrote: Anyone tried the new release of Openelc 4 yet?
Previous Beta version I had didn't run very well at all but I quickly installed the new release last night and it looks OK!

Yes, in fact I always run nightlies, don't care if it breaks as can restore everything in minutes.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - grimfandango - 2014-05-09

Hi pr0xZen I have read the forum and understand that my TV will not display the BIOS screen however my issue is that openelec crashes before it has booted into xbmc every time but only on this TV all others work fine.

Hi Jasonhoffman the make and model number of my: -Hitachi 42PD9700

Re: RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - dCrypt - 2014-05-09

(2014-05-09, 11:19)grimfandango Wrote: Hi pr0xZen I have read the forum and understand that my TV will not display the BIOS screen however my issue is that openelec crashes before it has booted into xbmc every time but only on this TV all others work fine.

Hi Jasonhoffman the make and model number of my: -Hitachi 42PD9700

In my case, D34010wykh+samsung tv, I can access the BIOS if I connect the hdmi directly to the tv instead of the avr and turn on the nuc first, press f2 blindly, and then turn on the tv.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - xbs08 - 2014-05-09

@dCrypt
Have you tried other HDMI port on the TV?

Re: RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - dCrypt - 2014-05-09

(2014-05-09, 12:04)xbs08 Wrote: @dCrypt
Have you tried other HDMI port on the TV?

Yes, all of them

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - snowjim - 2014-05-09

Long thread, hope its okay to ask a couple of basic questiosn :

I are thinking about replacing a WDTV Live Gen 3(really not like this mediaplayer) with a Intel Nuc(DN2820FYKH). In the main TV room I already got a Intel NUC i3 that runns Windows 7 and XBMC and it works for the most time great. This new Intel Nuc will sit in a bedroom connected to TV only with HDMI.

So my questions is

1. I need the following to work : Stream 1080p over LAN(cable), watch netflix, watch youtube. While this hardware handle this without problems?
  2. To stay cheap I am thinking of using a SDCard/USB stick instead of a SSD. Is it true that XBMCbuntu is the best way to go If I need youtube and the netflix client?
  3. Will XBMCbuntu support the hardware that DN2820FYKH has?
  4. Will a regular Logitech remote work with the built in IR?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pszab - 2014-05-09

(2014-05-07, 02:53)SgtSlaughter Wrote: The 2820 NUC is a step below a RaspberryPI/Ouya in my opinion. maybe the NUC i3s are more robust my coworkers like using them for ESXi. I am thinking about RMAing mine and praying I will get a 2830 back. I suspect the NUCs are flawed from manufacturing. I gotta say I am impressed with intel for releasing windows 7 drivers finally. maybe the 2830 will fix the outstanding issues. I have my fingers crossed that BIOS 32 will fix my problems.

What kind of issues are fixed in nuc 2830?
I've read that some issues were but I don't know about them.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - wessy83 - 2014-05-09

Dcrypt try using Hdmi 1 and holding the on button on the nuc for 5 seconds when turning it on. Worked for me Smile

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - vivithemage - 2014-05-09

My MCE remote works great with this, but I was thinking about picking up an IR/RC6 keyboard so I don't have to kee plugging in .. any advice?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - Reinke - 2014-05-09

Okay so I got my NUC yesterday.
I installed xbmc (with openelec). Everything was working flawless, add-ons, videos and I couldn't be happier.
However. Today something strange happened. It couldn't go online regardless of staying as "Connected". After a while of fixing (or trying to) I gave up and decided to make a fresh install. Going through installing process I connect to my wireless internet. Again saying I'm connected after typing password ect. Still can't browse add-ons or even do a force update.

Right now I'm totally clueless about whats causing this. Does anyone have an idea?

TL;DR
Works perfect yesterday. Today internet doesn't work despite saying its connected fine. What do?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - skyboysea - 2014-05-09

(2014-05-09, 11:19)grimfandango Wrote: Hi pr0xZen I have read the forum and understand that my TV will not display the BIOS screen however my issue is that openelec crashes before it has booted into xbmc every time but only on this TV all others work fine.
Have you tried previous Betas of OpenELEC? My NUC is connected to a 7yo Samsung LCD and I had no problem with it running nightly first and betas (up to B3) later. Yesterday I upgraded to OE 4.0 and the NUC freezes as soon as XBMC is loaded. No SSH, no keyboard, mouse or remote. I tried a clean install and the result was the same so I went back trying various betas and I found out that any version of OE since B4 cause the problem. I have tried connecting the NUC to the computer monitor and to a Vizio tv and both work without any issue.

I have tried to look at the logs to see if there is any indication of what is causing the issue but with no SSH access I can't do that and the log from the previous boot seem to get corrupted when I have to power the NUC down. Maybe is time to head to the OE board and ask there for help.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - Reinke - 2014-05-09

(2014-05-09, 18:36)Reinke Wrote: Okay so I got my NUC yesterday.
I installed xbmc (with openelec). Everything was working flawless, add-ons, videos and I couldn't be happier.
However. Today something strange happened. It couldn't go online regardless of staying as "Connected". After a while of fixing (or trying to) I gave up and decided to make a fresh install. Going through installing process I connect to my wireless internet. Again saying I'm connected after typing password ect. Still can't browse add-ons or even do a force update.

Right now I'm totally clueless about whats causing this. Does anyone have an idea?

TL;DR
Works perfect yesterday. Today internet doesn't work despite saying its connected fine. What do?

Update: I have still no idea what the problem was. I have however changed the version of openelec from 4.0 to 3.95.x and it works, for now at least.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - grimfandango - 2014-05-09

Hi skyboysea I will have to check to see what beta version I tried before I tried OE 4.0 but it would have been one of the later beta versions. I will try B4 to see if it works. I started a topic on the OE board last week but there are only a few replys.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - skyboysea - 2014-05-09

(2014-05-09, 20:18)grimfandango Wrote: Hi skyboysea I will have to check to see what beta version I tried before I tried OE 4.0 but it would have been one of the later beta versions. I will try B4 to see if it works. I started a topic on the OE board last week but there are only a few replys.

Try 3 too if you can. That was the last one that worked for me.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - MrCrispy - 2014-05-09

If I have mostly HD content, is there any advantage to the Haswell i3 NUC over BayTrail? My understanding is the main benefit in Haswell is being able to run scalers for SD content, and it can do 3D/4K. Does the more limited HD4400 gpu in 2820 affect playback quality in any way?