Kodi Community Forum
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH (/showthread.php?tid=187433)

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - joshua.lyon - 2014-06-19

(2014-06-19, 00:54)scarecrow420 Wrote:
(2014-06-16, 16:51)joshua.lyon Wrote: 3. HDMI: Tape pin 19 of HDMI cable
4. GPU: Force output resolution to be fixed to 1920x1080

When using fullscreen window, and the AVR/TV are switched off, the HTPC resolution changes and XBMC gets "bigger" on screen. Then when everything comes back on again, windows has reset to 1080P resolution but XBMC is stuck in a zoomed in mode, taking up the full screen but all zoomed in (only seeing perhaps 25-50% of the top left of the screen, maximised to fll the display). This is the only niggling issue I have!

(2014-06-19, 13:49)pr0xZen Wrote: If changing to full-screen window is not a working solution due to resolution change - I would suggest trying out the Pin 19 trick . Its not difficult to do, and easily reversible. The concept is to avvoid, among other things, resolution change - through the NUC and AVR/TV being unable to tell each other that one of them "shut down" or went to "power saving" mode. As far as the NUC can tell, the AVR (or TVs) power state never changes.

Items 3 and 4 from my original post are intended to workaround the issues with changing resolutions, particularly with AVR shutdown. If you haven't tried taping pin 19 on your HDMI cable (disabling the Hot Plug Detect pin), try it and let us know if helps.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - scarecrow420 - 2014-06-20

OK Ill give that a shot. Regarding number 4) is that really "forcing it" to 1080P or is that just a different way to set the resolution to that alue (and same can be achieved in windows itself). Are you saying that by setting it in the intel drivers it wont change awau from 1080P even if you plugged it into a different monitor or screen etc? In AMD catalyst and others I think there actually was a "force resolution" checkbox or similar, but the Intel one to me at least just looks like its "set the current resolution" rather than "force" it. But yeah I haven't tried the pin19 trick (I was assuming that using the hardset EDID inf file I created should achieve the same thing) so yes good point and definitely worth giving that a go. Thanks

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - outatouch0 - 2014-06-22

I'm having confusion by some of what I have read here and elsewhere. So will surround sound (Dolby, DTS, etc) work correctly in this manner?
NUC-->HDMI-->capable AVReceiver-->HDMI-->HDTV
thanks

Re: RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - nickr - 2014-06-22

(2014-06-22, 00:18)outatouch0 Wrote: I'm having confusion by some of what I have read here and elsewhere. So will surround sound (Dolby, DTS, etc) work correctly in this manner?
NUC-->HDMI-->capable AVReceiver-->HDMI-->HDTV
thanks

Yes.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - scarecrow420 - 2014-06-22

Dts ma bit streaming on windows won't work , but regular dts and dd will. Open Elec is ok, it's only windows where you can't get bit stream hd audio

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - outatouch0 - 2014-06-22

Okay thanks guys,
I think I see the nature of my confusion when reading threads.
I don't know the difference between 'regular DTS' vs 'DTS-MA' and/or HD Audio.
I believe all I really need would be 5.1 surround. Sounds like I can get that with Windows then?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - -DDD- - 2014-06-22

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS_%28sound_system%29 = regular = nonHD = 5.1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD_Master_Audio = HD Audio = 7.1

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - boris blank - 2014-06-22

(2014-06-22, 15:16)outatouch0 Wrote: I believe all I really need would be 5.1 surround. Sounds like I can get that with Windows then?

Yep, works a treat!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - joshua.lyon - 2014-06-23

(2014-06-20, 00:29)scarecrow420 Wrote: OK Ill give that a shot. Regarding number 4) is that really "forcing it" to 1080P or is that just a different way to set the resolution to that alue (and same can be achieved in windows itself). Are you saying that by setting it in the intel drivers it wont change awau from 1080P even if you plugged it into a different monitor or screen etc? In AMD catalyst and others I think there actually was a "force resolution" checkbox or similar, but the Intel one to me at least just looks like its "set the current resolution" rather than "force" it. But yeah I haven't tried the pin19 trick (I was assuming that using the hardset EDID inf file I created should achieve the same thing) so yes good point and definitely worth giving that a go. Thanks
Honestly, I don't recall if I was successful in getting the Intel graphics control panel to force the resolution, but I wanted to include the screenshot/comment to be thorough... it has been several weeks since I implemented the changes and I haven't had any issues since. To your point though, it may have just been the Fullscreen setting paired with the Pin 19 trick.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - scarecrow420 - 2014-06-24

(2014-06-23, 16:47)joshua.lyon Wrote:
(2014-06-20, 00:29)scarecrow420 Wrote: OK Ill give that a shot. Regarding number 4) is that really "forcing it" to 1080P or is that just a different way to set the resolution to that alue (and same can be achieved in windows itself). Are you saying that by setting it in the intel drivers it wont change awau from 1080P even if you plugged it into a different monitor or screen etc? In AMD catalyst and others I think there actually was a "force resolution" checkbox or similar, but the Intel one to me at least just looks like its "set the current resolution" rather than "force" it. But yeah I haven't tried the pin19 trick (I was assuming that using the hardset EDID inf file I created should achieve the same thing) so yes good point and definitely worth giving that a go. Thanks
Honestly, I don't recall if I was successful in getting the Intel graphics control panel to force the resolution, but I wanted to include the screenshot/comment to be thorough... it has been several weeks since I implemented the changes and I haven't had any issues since. To your point though, it may have just been the Fullscreen setting paired with the Pin 19 trick.

Fair enough... I agree it makes sense to list everything you did that MAY have helped. I still haven't tried the pin19 trick and yeah am still battling between Fullscreen (with out of memory error) vs fake fullscreen (with strange res problems). What's worse is I moved my i3 NUC from the bedroom to the media room and now it too is suffering from this problem. I really do need to look into this pin19 thing!

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - pr0xZen - 2014-06-25

(2014-06-22, 15:16)outatouch0 Wrote: Okay thanks guys,
I think I see the nature of my confusion when reading threads.
I don't know the difference between 'regular DTS' vs 'DTS-MA' and/or HD Audio.
I believe all I really need would be 5.1 surround. Sounds like I can get that with Windows then?

Wiki-links have been supplied, if you want to learn a little bit about the different audio formats. Please note: While Windows and the currently available intel drivers do not support DTS-MA (DTS - Master Audio) - an DTS-MA audio bitstream includes a "traditional" DTS signal (called a DTS core, in this context). Even if your current video file/source is only encoded with an DTS-MA audio bitstream, XBMC can still "pull out" that DTS core, and pass that on to your DTS capable AVR. It wont be the full 7.1 HD audio experience, but it is still a very decent 5.1 audio stream.

Hopefully a windows update or new Intel drivers will fix this at some point. And, it is "only" an issue under Windows. With the various flavours of Linux, DTS-HD / DTS-MA is working fine.

(2014-06-24, 02:56)scarecrow420 Wrote: Fair enough... I agree it makes sense to list everything you did that MAY have helped. I still haven't tried the pin19 trick and yeah am still battling between Fullscreen (with out of memory error) vs fake fullscreen (with strange res problems). What's worse is I moved my i3 NUC from the bedroom to the media room and now it too is suffering from this problem. I really do need to look into this pin19 thing!
Its a 1-minute job so I suggest you try it out soon, rather than beating your head with various config solutions. If it doesn't help you, it only takes a few seconds to remove the tape again.

Anyone experienced quite a notable drop in performance with decoding xvid, in Gotham 13.1 releases? I've been trying to go through all the various settings and tweaks to see if something was forgotten (settings lost during update) - but wanted to hear if other users were experiencing similar issues.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - zzenz - 2014-06-25

First time poster here.

Has anyone has issues with Mediaportal TVserver and their USB Tuners?

Windows 8.1 picks them up and installs the drivers, TVServer picks them up but no matter what I do they will not tune any stations in.

I was using them on a windows 7 box with no issue and yes their is a TV signal coming in.

Any idea's?

System
NUC 2820
4GB
500gb WD
Windows 8.1 x64
Powered USB HUB
2 x WinFast DTV Dongle Gold
TVServer 1.7.1

Not to sure what info to pass on to get some advice etc.

Re: RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - nickr - 2014-06-25

(2014-06-25, 11:57)zzenz Wrote: First time poster here.

Windows 8.1 picks them up and installs the drivers, TVServer picks them up but no matter what I do they will not tune any stations in.

I was using them on a windows 7 box with no issue and yes their is a TV signal coming in.

Any idea's?

System
NUC 2820
4GB
500gb WD
Windows 8.1 x64
Powered USB HUB
TVServer 1.7.1

This looks like a mediaportal issue not an xbmc issue.

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - xbs08 - 2014-06-25

(2014-06-25, 04:20)pr0xZen Wrote: Anyone experienced quite a notable drop in performance with decoding xvid, in Gotham 13.1 releases? I've been trying to go through all the various settings and tweaks to see if something was forgotten (settings lost during update) - but wanted to hear if other users were experiencing similar issues.

What's the average CPU usage during xvid/ac3 playback?

RE: Intel NUC - HTPC (Bay Trail 2013 edition - DN2820FYKH) - zzenz - 2014-06-25

(2014-06-25, 12:43)nickr Wrote:
(2014-06-25, 11:57)zzenz Wrote: First time poster here.

Any idea's?

System
NUC 2820
4GB
500gb WD
Windows 8.1 x64
Powered USB HUB
TVServer 1.7.1

This looks like a mediaportal issue not an xbmc issue.

Yeah well seeing this is a NUC 2820 thread and some use Windows 8 and TVServer as a backend for xbmc, I thought I would at least ask.