Kodi Community Forum
Bug folder.jpg in filemode/library wont display consistently. art is cached. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Bug folder.jpg in filemode/library wont display consistently. art is cached. (/showthread.php?tid=188831)

folder.jpg in filemode/library wont display consistently. art is cached. - un1versal - 2014-03-11

Edit
see post #6 for reason why below doesnt work http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=188831&pid=1651632#pid1651632

I havent called this a but because well who knows what it is really?

There are both folder.jpg corresponding to all albums and also music has been tagged properly to great pains lengths using musicbrainz and even attached the folder jpg to the all albums, its a mix of flac and mp3

The artwork being displayed for the ones that refuse?! to show the art is.... Blue default catch all folder in files view, or the if you happen to be in Library you get the speaker/musical note icon displaying instead.

This inconsistency extends to:

Issue 1
  1. Album info > browse the thumb (for these where cached art is not being shown in library) the top entry current assigned art when highlighted IS the blue folder but when
  2. Moving down highlighting next entry the 1st entry changes to what it should be (old "bug" noticed this ages ago)
    1. It gets better, for these items that will not display anything of the folder.jpg or cached art.

3. After doing the manoeuvre (1-2) above and not selecting anything at all
  4. (just press back) at this stage albums still has no cover.
  5. Go now back into album, now songs show the thumb which is the folder.jpg and then
  6. (just press back) and the album (1 in 3 albums) shown correct art now..

Composite screenshot of before and after steps 1-6 file and library view
And steps 1-2 when browsing for thumb.

Issue 2
I also tried to assign art to some really stubborn ones like bon jovi Gold > Album info > GET THUMB > Browse > *ITEM Folder and selected the Folder.jpg and that results in absolutely nothing.

(2014-03-10, 20:29)MilhouseVH Wrote: @uNiversal: Thanks for the log. I've only checked a few items, but it does appear that, according to the media library entries, your Folder.jpg artwork is assigned as the thumbnails for your albums, and this artwork has been cached in Textures13.db, so if you are not seeing the correct Folder.jpg album thumbnails appearing in the XBMC GUI it's either an XBMC bug, or by design (after the tvshow/season banner discussion in your Season artwork trac issue I'm loathe to call any behaviour of XBMC an outright bug given my limited understanding of XBMC!)

It would be interesting to know what artwork is being shown when the correct (Folder.jpg) artwork is not used - do you see just a blank image, or a completely different image? If the latter, can you tell which image (which url/path) it is that is being shown? Also, check xbmc.log when browsing your albums and check if there are any cache-related errors.

The quote above is of discussion with Milhouse who was assisting me to determine if my folder.jpg was being cached or not and turns out it is but something funky happening via logging ./texturecacche.py c albums and jd albums.
The art is cached in textures13.db for folder.jpg but irrespective not all albums get a cover no matter how long/browse or no browse,play or not play. + it exists in for, of folder.jpg in every albium and also embedded into albums.

Debug log http://pastebin.com/pQFpYhT0

Something odd happening quite a few of these dotted around

Code:
11:05:52 T:140637512779648 WARNING: Create - Unsupported protocol(image) in image://Browse/
11:05:52 T:140637512779648   ERROR: Exists - Error checking for image://Browse/

There was another bug reported which was similar in nature of the list > choose art quirkiness> which was closed as invalid tbh I think it exposes the problem rather well for reference only Im posting link to that here not for any other reason.http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14986

RE: Music albums art caches but wont display consistently for all albums.? - Prof Yaffle - 2014-03-11

I've seen something similar, although I can't say if it's the same without going off to check. But I've seen stubborn thumbnails that become very difficult to over-ride - much like your "default" image, maybe.

What happens if you set the thumbnail to something wildly different - a file called blob.jpg in your home folder, for example?

What happens if you then navigate back to folder.jpg?

What happens if you have Folder.jpg and folder.jpg, can you choose one or the other?

I seem to recall that I could do what I liked with folder.jpg - once it was cached, it was stuck as that image unless I forced it to a different filename. What I can't recall is precisely what changes I made to force the images to update.

And remote scanning is a black art as so many artists/albums are missing, so much or my artwork was coming from Amazon/Google searching.

RE: Music albums art caches but wont display consistently for all albums.? - un1versal - 2014-03-11

(2014-03-11, 13:56)Prof Yaffle Wrote: I've seen something similar, although I can't say if it's the same without going off to check. But I've seen stubborn thumbnails that become very difficult to over-ride - much like your "default" image, maybe.

What happens if you set the thumbnail to something wildly different - a file called blob.jpg in your home folder, for example?

What happens if you then navigate back to folder.jpg?

Dont understand that question... Why would I want to test something unrelated? This is already frustrating enough Wink but... Ill see if I have time for yet more testing.

(2014-03-11, 13:56)Prof Yaffle Wrote: What happens if you have Folder.jpg and folder.jpg, can you choose one or the other?

Yea that was issue2 I thought that was simple enough explanation, nothing happened in that situation, its not case sensitive problem I dont think.

(2014-03-11, 13:56)Prof Yaffle Wrote: I seem to recall that I could do what I liked with folder.jpg - once it was cached, it was stuck as that image unless I forced it to a different filename. What I can't recall is precisely what changes I made to force the images to update.

And remote scanning is a black art as so many artists/albums are missing, so much or my artwork was coming from Amazon/Google searching.

Well I will try and play with your suggestions but its not a problem of being stuck with a cached image, the problem is that the images are cached and yet takes some dance around and or selecting the art manually to stop it from showing the default thumbs the default thumbs are part of xbmc (as if no art at all is defined). Smile ya really frustrating after spending all weekends tagging and adding art properly to the whole lot, and installing a new xbmc not long ago, spending hours playing with ./texturecache to the result you see above.

Im using Universal scraper for artists and albums, and my artists thumbs are fine some were missing but are now been corrected manually after much pains.
Im also using confluence, so tbh that makes a hell of a difference.

RE: Music albums art caches but wont display consistently for all albums.? - Milhouse - 2014-03-11

I don't know if it's related, but there are a number of SMB access errors in your log:
Code:
11:04:36 T:140636297307904   DEBUG: CSmbFile::Open - opened d2/MUSIC/BeyoncĂ© - Dangerously In Love/, fd=-1
11:04:36 T:140636297307904    INFO: FileSmb->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://media/d2/MUSIC/Beyonc%c3%a9%20-%20Dangerously%20In%20Love'
                                            unix_err:'15' error : 'Is a directory'
11:04:36 T:140636297307904   DEBUG: CSmbFile::Open - opened d2/MUSIC/Bon Jovi - Crush/, fd=-1
11:04:36 T:140636297307904    INFO: FileSmb->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://media/d2/MUSIC/Bon%20Jovi%20-%20Crush'
                                            unix_err:'15' error : 'Is a directory'
Is this part of the problem?

RE: Music albums art caches but wont display consistently for all albums.? - un1versal - 2014-03-11

Thats trying to open a directory as a file and the error is saying Im not a file im a directory. idk, curiously enough not all of those are problematic not showing the art in lib view or file view, bon jovi - gold for e.g one that refuses by any means show either the folder.jpg or the embedded art, not even browsing for and selecting the dammed folder.jpg works in that one, yet.... others do and others behave differently again, all have had same treatment all been tagged and all have proper information.

RE: Music albums art caches but wont display consistently for all albums.? - un1versal - 2014-03-13

Here is what I found out.. after banging my head trying to get folder.jpg to work in file mode and in some cases library.

In Files MUSIC you cant name something like

Prince & The Revolution

needs to be named

Prince and The Revolution.

and automatically the folder.jpg is loaded end of story. (was already working in library mode though).

Some other albums also need to have comas/full stops in filename like Gwen stefani - Love. Angel. Music. Baby. otherwise without the periods/comas, the folder.jpg is not loaded (was already working in library mode though).

Both of these examples doesn't matter what tags have in them or how it says in musicbrainz so ya not a tagging issue because you are in filemode.

For Bon jovi Gold, the tags STATUS had to be changed from bootleg to Official and then folder.jpg it worked in both file and library version, despite via xbmc you cant load the album info via scraper. so universal scraper is doing DOH!! bothe because of alsbum status and because it cant loaded via info even though it exists for musicbrainz picard and other tagging tools.
So, in conclusion xbmc file-mode need to rethink how names dont have to be having periods (.) or comas (,) and that the & vs and shouldn't matter and vs and versus, and furthermore that album status in via scraper shouldn't influence if the folder.jpg is loaded or not. (Thats Universal scraper btw)

Only had to wast hours to find out that the fodler.jpg loading/not loading is related to something totally non related and in the end its xbmc being awkward.

so idk what the problems are but its a mix of xbmc and universal scraper issues, and its by pure luck that I tried literally everything. idk if jmarshallnz or someone else may be interested in fixing this but there it is.

RE: folder.jpg in filemode/library wont display consistently. art is cached. - jmarshall - 2014-03-15

The only thing I can think of is that there's some weirdness with URL encoding that is done in some cases where it shouldn't be and vice-versa. This wouldn't particularly surprise me, as there were code changes in this area not too long ago.

What I'd need is some clear guidelines of exactly what system you're operating and exactly how to reproduce it. That might be:

1. Download this .zip file.
2. Unzip to a smb:// server of your choice.
3. Scan into library using XYZ settings.
4. Observe issue when you go to A, B, C.

i.e. make it as easy as possible for me (or others) to reproduce and it'll make it way quicker for us to get it fixed. ATM everything works for the files/folders etc. that I have.

Cheers,
Jonathan

RE: folder.jpg in filemode/library wont display consistently. art is cached. - un1versal - 2014-03-19

Ya, this "bug" is floating around and having read now others in github and forums, I have chased it all the way to Textures13.db into paths table which stores for some reason obsolete paths, maybe I took wrong turn when chasing it, but clearly something odd is happening in the paths table and these invalid paths are never cleared by any methods (which I think is part of problem) and I started getting some results when weeding out these stale/invalid paths out.

After I just nuked the textures.db all thumbs for everything were loaded again, except then for some other library items like artists thumbs (have to do each manually) and other art for movies etc, now, its back to refreshing each one manually.

And no its all cached already, its just not loading at all in some cases.

I cant pin it down to duplication but clearly Im not alone.