Kodi Community Forum
SMB shares with Windows Vista does not work - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+--- Forum: First-generation XBOX support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=158)
+--- Thread: SMB shares with Windows Vista does not work (/showthread.php?tid=19092)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

- kraqh3d - 2006-12-11

are you running a recent version of xbmc? the dvd bug was corrected previously. either its returned, or you're running a rather old version of xbmc.

Fixed!! - bodgitostrich - 2006-12-15

After installing the lastest XBMC with the updated smb, i tried this, and it nearly works, i'm running RC1, i can't get it to work with the media sharing, but i can get it to work with everything else, eg. sharing other drives/directories, but the media servers does work, before i tinkered with everything, but the folders did not update for the media sharing, if this makes sense, so i had to unshare the directory, and then share it again, so any new files would show up.

try this link and see what happens, cos it worked for me before...

http://www.modzone.dk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=265

Phil

- SCR512 - 2006-12-16

Actually this might be more relevent to the issue we're seeing on Vista.

http://www.builderau.com.au/blogs/codemonkeybusiness/viewblogpost.htm?p=339270746

I've yet to try this as I am still at work Laugh but this certainly makes more sense then the other reasonings/posts I've seen in this thread.

- bodgitostrich - 2006-12-16

this has already been covered i think... but the main problem seems to be password and user names for shares...

Phil

- didgydont - 2006-12-18

superdj4life Wrote:thanks for the info thats makes a big difference so i guess the next logical question is has anyone tried to use a pre 2.0-2.1 build of XBMC on vista rtm 6.000(any type) to see if the smb problems exist

i have i run an old build to for my dreambox script and it works fine with vista all the new build have tried have errors with vita RTM 6.000 ultimate the latest svn can see the shares but promts for passwords then cant play the folder

- Squuiid - 2006-12-18

He's talking crap, ignore his response. We've all tried it with Vista RTM and the latest SVNs and no joy.

- didgydont - 2006-12-20

Squuiid Wrote:He's talking crap, ignore his response. We've all tried it with Vista RTM and the latest SVNs and no joy.

im not talking crap and it doesnt work with any new builds svn or anything im running : XBMC - XBOX Media Center 1.1.0
Release Date...........02.Feb.2006
Release Size................4x15MB
Release Language.....Multilanguage
Operating System...........M$ XBOX

its a gas giver build work 100% ok
but i also edited group polocies wich still didnt work with any new build

- superdj4life - 2006-12-20

im not talking crap, i may be new to the xbmc effort but i've worked with electronics computers and what ever for some time now and one of the first steps to troubleshooting is isolation of the problem and gathering as much information about the issues as possible. from different svn builds different and
versions on vista the more info the devs have about a problem the more effective the solution will be

- Squuiid - 2006-12-20

Apologies didgydont, must have been having a bad day. Was out of line.
Thanks for your input.

- SpoonsJTD - 2006-12-20

Is the latest samba release now in xbmc svn? I know the whole vista\samba thing has been rehashed in several different threads, but it's hard to follow all the different lines to understand what the problem currently is. Does samba still have bugs with regards to accessing vista?

- elupus - 2006-12-21

yes it still has bugs.

- dave2 - 2006-12-22

I downloaded version 1.1 to see if samba works and it does with no problem, I then tried a few cvs version over the months and they don't.

- elupus - 2006-12-24

huh.. why is this thread in feature suggestion.. odd....

anyway, i've fixed one major error in the vista connectivit. samba made invalid keepalive requests wich broke the connection. the result was that only the initial request after the connection work, next one broke and disconnected itslef. then the above repeated.

it's still not possible to use anon or guest access thou. you have to connect to the server with a username. ie add a username to vista (it doesn't have to be a member of the users group), then set that as default user/password in xbmc.

- mjlapaglia - 2006-12-24

samba's workin fine for me, lastest t3ch build and vista RTM build 6000...

- rimsky82 - 2006-12-25

elupus Wrote:huh.. why is this thread in feature suggestion.. odd....

anyway, i've fixed one major error in the vista connectivit. samba made invalid keepalive requests wich broke the connection. the result was that only the initial request after the connection work, next one broke and disconnected itslef. then the above repeated.

it's still not possible to use anon or guest access thou. you have to connect to the server with a username. ie add a username to vista (it doesn't have to be a member of the users group), then set that as default user/password in xbmc.

Although it still might not be completely bug free, this fixed it enough for me! Thanks elupus, and merry Christmas! Thanks very much!