Kodi Community Forum
SMB shares with Windows Vista does not work - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+--- Forum: First-generation XBOX support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=158)
+--- Thread: SMB shares with Windows Vista does not work (/showthread.php?tid=19092)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

- jmarshall - 2006-11-28

SVN has a fix, yes. Whether or not it fixes it or not is another story. Please update and test.

- elupus - 2006-11-28

it helps in some issues. thou the policies fix seem to be required still. ( use search and you will find )

- fdrzrich - 2006-11-28

Quick update...updated to latest SVN build on both xboxs...on one i could see the SMB network but not get anything to play, on the other I could not see the workgroup.

However for those struggling with this I have found that by using UPnP you can access 99% of your files - basically anything recognised by WMP will show up. You can view by Folder too which is good for those whose collections aren't tagged fully! The only vids it hasn't picked up are .mov ones I think.... Havent checked for audio files missing as most of mine are .mp3....

Hope that helps some people!

- rimsky82 - 2006-11-28

I gave up and switched over to ccxgui. After I edited the db to get all of my thumbs back, it looked and worked the same except that it might be a hair slower to get the movie started. I've already killed myself over changing a thousand settings in Vista and not getting anywhere.Rolleyes

- Squuiid - 2006-11-28

It's being worked on it seems!

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1598749&group_id=87054&atid=581838

Looks like they're pretty close to fixing. Big Grin

Having the same problems :/ - mindtrip - 2006-11-30

rimsky82 Wrote:That doesn't work either. I still get access on exactly every other file, and the files I do get access to, I have to press twice to play. The first time I see all of the prep stuff, like caching and whatever, and then the second time it plays.

I've tried so many different things I'm about to explode.

A hair off-topic, if I switch to ccxgui, is there a way to edit the database so I have all of my thumbs and info without re-querying? I have over 200 movies...

I'd still like to figure out this samba thing. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Yeah, this has been a problem for me aswell. Just upgraded to a build from 28.11.06 and still no luck even tho the changes.txt says:

Quote:20-11-2006 update: libsmbclient updated to 3.0.23d version ( should contain vista fixes )

- CompKing - 2006-11-30

Bangel: You reported success on SMB via Vista. Are you using 2.01 or an earlier version prior to the samba upgrade in XBMC?

- CompKing - 2006-11-30

If you report success, please let us know if you are using XBMC 2.01 or an older version of XBMC with the old SAMBA code. Months ago when Vista was first in Beta (I was on the testing team), I was able to get the old XBMC to work with Vista with the secpol changes, without a hitch. The focus at this point is getting the latest XBMC working with Vista.

Thanks

- Squuiid - 2006-11-30

Hi CompKing, thank you very much for your efforts on this, we really appreciate your time.
Here's my two cents:

I think XBMC must be made to work with Vista at it's default security settings, i.e the changes must be implemented into XBMC code, not made to work by tweaking of Vista's security policies. Don't you agree?

I know this is just the start of testing, and we're trying to figure out what the issue is, but I really think the ultimate goal is to change XBMC to work with Vista, not the other way around.
Not only would some users find changing their security policy daunting but it could also cause interoperability and possible security problems elsewhere in the OS. i.e on your home workgroup/domain.

Thanks again Smile

- elupus - 2006-12-01

that is absolutly so, but before that we have to know what the issue is. don't think any dev has a vista machine to test with.

Getting SMB working on default Vista security - CompKing - 2006-12-01

1stly.. Lets get it working, then lets see if that is feasable.

If I remember correctly, on the prior XBMC SMB version, I still had to tweak the security settings. Though some of the defaults has changed in Vista since the earlier betas, it is possible that Vista didn't leave any holes open for anonymous logon. Time will tell

- Squuiid - 2006-12-01

CompKing Wrote:1stly.. Lets get it working, then lets see if that is feasable.

Absolutely! Don't get me wrong. Was just a thought.
Once again, thanks for all your work. Wink

- rimsky82 - 2006-12-01

Yes! Thank you HUGELY for getting this worked out.

- superdj4life - 2006-12-02

first off thanks to everyone working to find a solution on this problem.

ok to begin I'm running the 11/29/06 svn build with the smb updates.
pc running vitsa RTM 6.00 i'ved tried every change i can find in the gp editor
and secpol. I also have ethereal and xbmc debug files available to anyone who wants them.

when i acces my smb network i get the same errors everyone else gets and when i correlate the xbmc errors in ethereal it always produces the same error s

when authenticating smb login it returns STATUS_MORE_PROCESSING_REQUIRED error

when choosing a FILE it returns
STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

and when accessing a DIRECTORY it returns
NT_STATUS_NOT_A_DIRECTORY

- elupus - 2006-12-02

that etherreal log would be nice to have a look at.