Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - ukyank - 2014-04-28

If this has been answered I apologize for missing it. Has anyone found a way for the Fire to go to sleep when xbmc is running (but not being used obviously) thanks.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - underworld123 - 2014-04-28

(2014-04-28, 00:18)ukyank Wrote: If this has been answered I apologize for missing it. Has anyone found a way for the Fire to go to sleep when xbmc is running (but not being used obviously) thanks.

I thought Fire TV automatically goes off to sleep, if it is idle (even when XBMC is running).

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - ukyank - 2014-04-28

(2014-04-28, 00:58)underworld123 Wrote:
(2014-04-28, 00:18)ukyank Wrote: If this has been answered I apologize for missing it. Has anyone found a way for the Fire to go to sleep when xbmc is running (but not being used obviously) thanks.

I thought Fire TV automatically goes off to sleep, if it is idle (even when XBMC is running).

Hmmmm.... I'll have to double check as I've been away for a week & haven't been using the thing, but I swore it would only sleep for me if I was out of xbmc

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - DiegoMejia - 2014-04-28

(2014-04-28, 00:58)underworld123 Wrote:

Fire TV won't go to sleep if xbmc is currently displayed. The reason I said displayed is because you can launch xbmc and hit the home key on the fire remote and xbmc would still be running in the background even though you are in the fire launcher. If you do this the fire TV will go the sleep, if xbmc is opened and in focus the fire TV won't go to sleep

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Senaxx - 2014-04-28

It seems there is a way to root the FireTV already, only the exploit is currently still private. After it's rooted would it be possible to create it an xbmc only box? (running minimal core and on top of that XBMC) Or atleast edit the main menu so you can have your own shortcut to launch xbmc as an application instead of a sideloaded app.

Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - ilovemymac - 2014-04-28

Why would you not want the benefits of the other stuff the box offers?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - DiegoMejia - 2014-04-28

(2014-04-28, 02:26)Senaxx Wrote: It seems there is a way to root the FireTV already, only the exploit is currently still private. After it's rooted would it be possible to create it an xbmc only box? (running minimal core and on top of that XBMC) Or atleast edit the main menu so you can have your own shortcut to launch xbmc as an application instead of a sideloaded app.

the reason i purchased the fire tv was for the amazon content (i'm a prime memeber)

honestly if you want just an xbmc box you should look into an OUYA and install spmc on it. They have full root, overclocked SOC, xbmc, unlocked bootloader and CM roms..

Actually I think straight Xbmc box minix x7 mini. Better processor and double the ram of the ouya.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Scott R - 2014-04-28

Well, I pretty much bought the Fire TV to see what could be accomplished with it via Plex and/or XBMC. That, and Netflix. Amazon Prime would be used for movie rentals (as an alternative to using iTunes movie rentals on my ATV), but I honestly didn't get it for Amazon Prime free TV/movies (even though I'm an Amazon Prime subscriber) because the content seems to be really, really weak on that front (better than nothing, but not good enough to justify canceling my Netflix streaming subscription).

So, what do the Ouya or Minix x7 offer that makes them a better box than the Fire TV for XBMC? It looks like the Minix costs $40 more. Can either do high-bitrate VC-1 or 24fps?

Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Canucker - 2014-04-28

(2014-04-28, 03:04)Scott R Wrote: Well, I pretty much bought the Fire TV to see what could be accomplished with it via Plex and/or XBMC. That, and Netflix. Amazon Prime would be used for movie rentals (as an alternative to using iTunes movie rentals on my ATV), but I honestly didn't get it for Amazon Prime free TV/movies (even though I'm an Amazon Prime subscriber) because the content seems to be really, really weak on that front (better than nothing, but not good enough to justify canceling my Netflix streaming subscription).

So, what do the Ouya or Minix x7 offer that makes them a better box than the Fire TV for XBMC? It looks like the Minix costs $40 more. Can either do high-bitrate VC-1 or 24fps?

Fire tv > minix x7 > ouya

Minix x7 mini same price. The z7 is 16gb and has external antenna for better wifi and Bluetooth. If you root x7 and custom rom it's a great box. But for just Xbmc fire TV works great. Other then the captcha issues

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - tennisbgc - 2014-04-28

(2014-04-28, 02:26)Senaxx Wrote: It seems there is a way to root the FireTV already, only the exploit is currently still private. After it's rooted would it be possible to create it an xbmc only box? (running minimal core and on top of that XBMC) Or atleast edit the main menu so you can have your own shortcut to launch xbmc as an application instead of a sideloaded app.
If you just want xbmc I'd wait for the new pivos boxes, the base model should be available pretty soon,there going to use a custom build of xbmc that will boot into and it can do vc-1.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - claydavis - 2014-04-28

I want it to play local content. Not sure if rooting it helps or not. i know about plex but id really like to avoid using data hence local playback.

Re: RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - LazerBlue - 2014-04-28

(2014-04-28, 05:16)claydavis Wrote:

I want it to play local content. Not sure if rooting it helps or not. i know about plex but id really like to avoid using data hence local playback.

Installing xbmc will give you content to local content if it's on the network.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - nero12 - 2014-04-28

Ever since I installed SPMC, I occasionally get out of SPMC and go
back to the Amazon home menu and then when I try to get back into SPMC
(using "Launch Application"), I see a black screen with nothing. In this
case, what I have to do is "go back out -> Force Stop SPMC -> Relaunch
application". Before installing your version of SPMC, this did not happen.
And this has happening frequently now (though not 100%).

Below is the SPMC version currently showing up in my System Info:

*SPMC Version*: XBMC 12.4-SPMC Git: 20140409-940f0d5 (Compiled: Apr 11 2014)

Has anyone else experienced this problem ? Do we have a fix for this ? i notice it says 12.4.2 is that a newer version ?