Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - navigates - 2014-05-23

(2014-05-23, 22:01)reaven Wrote: another splash screen if anyone is interested

splash.png

Now I like this. Was looking for something like this. Smile

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Bray90820 - 2014-05-23

So i can't seem to get ServerWMC working when i select a channel all it does is say working and then stops same with the recordings

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - sspectre - 2014-05-23

(2014-05-23, 22:01)reaven Wrote: another splash screen if anyone is interested

splash.png

Nice! Added to the wiki.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - batenoy - 2014-05-23

Does anyone know how to get the context menu button to work on a Harmony remote using the Ortek VRC-1100 profile? I've got everything else up and running smoothly, but can't seem to get the context menu to work.

Thanks in advance!

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - drew_willy - 2014-05-23

(2014-05-23, 14:33)Apothis Wrote:
(2014-05-23, 14:11)RustyTongueRing Wrote: Thank you very much. This helps greatly.

I guess that leaves me with another question regarding audio specifically. You have said that HD audio does not work "but with DTS-MA it will extract core DTS track, with True-HD you will get stereo." I am not at all well-versed with HD audio formats or serious receiver/speaker setups (I still think 5.1 surround sound in itself is amazing). Suppose I have a 2.1 soundbar to which I connect the Fire TV via HDMI. I have previously had no trouble getting the soundbar to play audio from files containing DTS and Dolby Digital audio. Will I be able to get 2.1 audio when XBMC on the Fire TV attempts to play a video with DTS-MA or True-HD audio? From what you've written above, I think the answer is yes, but I am not sure. Also, seeing that my HTPC plays the same file in XBMC just fine, producing audio via 3.5mm aux line to 2.1 computer speakers*, I strongly suspect the audio will play fine on the soundbar via HDMI, but just checking with somebody who obviously knows a lot more about all the audio stuff than I do.

*I know, my audio setup is super lame, but it is all I can afford now; it works at present. Later in the year, when my budget allows, I would like to step up my 2.1 computer speaker setup to a true 5.1 setup. But getting info on that would probably require a whole other thread...

I'm curious about this as well, because I will have a similar setup with similar formats and not well versed with all the different audio formats. Haven't really played anything other than tv shows, and haven't had much time to test much else. Thanks in advance, been following this thread for a while and have learned a lot in the process.

I'm not sure what the actual question is here, as you messed up the quotes. But to put it simply, if doing HDMI audio passthrough, to a device that at least supports AC3/DTS, then those formats will be decoded on the receiving device. If your source material contains DTS-MA, then as the firetv cant ouput that, it will fall back to the DTS core track exactly as if the source was DTS, rather than DTS-MA, and the original answer applies. If the source material is TrueHD, then again the firetv cant output that, but in this case it will output a Stereo only track over the HDMI, when your receiving device will then do whatever it normally does with stereo material.

Apothis,

I agree that RustyTongueRing screwed up the quotes, but if you go back to my post #2769 that he is quoting, you can discern what I originally wrote and what RustyTongueRing added.

As to your confusion over what the original question was, well... the sentence that ended with a question mark. I hate to be that guy, but, even granting the quoting problems above, it seems to me you directly answered the question. Based on your reply, am I correct in thinking that the earlier poster who was having problems with a DTS-MA file (badnaam, or something like that) really wasn't experiencing a difficulty based on limitations of the Fire TV, so much as he was having problems as a result of audio settings in xbmc? That is what nickr suggested was the problem earlier, I think. So badnaam, and any others attempting to play DTS-MA audio, should have success simply by adjusting their audio settings as nickr has said. Right?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Trevis - 2014-05-24

(2014-05-23, 17:15)jjhtpc Wrote: I have a very similar setup with Windows 7 and serverWMC with an Ceton Infinitv4. I have not experienced these problems, but I have had a few scenarios where wtv files would kick off audio but no video. I found that neither libstage or mediacodec worked very well so I just turned on hardware acceleration and turned off both mediacodec and libstage. After doing that everything has been working as expected.

Hey, so as soon as i got home i went into XBMC and just took a wild guess and disabled libstage and now i can play all of the WTV that didn't work yesterday. One thing that i did notice though is that with MediaCodec being the only selected option that whenever i play WTV files that the progress bar is wrong. Time remaining, never displays farther out than the current playback time. For example once it's a minute in it says 1:00/1:00, five minutes in 5:00/5:00. LibStage doesn't do that, it reports the remaining length properly. I guess i'll stick with MediaCodec for now though since i'd rather have everything play more than having accurate time remaining.

Once i had it all working i did go ahead and upgrade to the latest beta. Seems to function the same. LibStage wont play select WTV files but shows accurate time remaining, MediaCodec plays all of the WTVs that i've tried but never has accurate time remaining.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - exit - 2014-05-24

For those having audio sync issues, I moved from stable Gotham 13.0 to the 13.1 beta 2 today and that fixed the need to offset the audio ahead by 0.025 seconds. Seems like stuff is in sync now without any audio offset adjustments.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - mediumdry - 2014-05-24

(2014-05-23, 22:02)pmcd Wrote: The normal volume doesn't work but the volume amplification does lower and raise the volume. I posted the xml file somewhere in this thread. It's identical to the Ouya issue.

I missed the <up>volampup</up> and <down>volampdown</down> workaround, I'll update my keyboard.xml, thanks!

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - jocala - 2014-05-24

Very nice splash.png !

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - navigates - 2014-05-24

(2014-05-24, 00:46)exit Wrote: For those having audio sync issues, I moved from stable Gotham 13.0 to the 13.1 beta 2 today and that fixed the need to offset the audio ahead by 0.025 seconds. Seems like stuff is in sync now without any audio offset adjustments.

I'm gonna have to check this out. Thanks. Good to know.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - jjhtpc - 2014-05-24

(2014-05-24, 00:40)Trevis Wrote:
(2014-05-23, 17:15)jjhtpc Wrote: I have a very similar setup with Windows 7 and serverWMC with an Ceton Infinitv4. I have not experienced these problems, but I have had a few scenarios where wtv files would kick off audio but no video. I found that neither libstage or mediacodec worked very well so I just turned on hardware acceleration and turned off both mediacodec and libstage. After doing that everything has been working as expected.

Hey, so as soon as i got home i went into XBMC and just took a wild guess and disabled libstage and now i can play all of the WTV that didn't work yesterday. One thing that i did notice though is that with MediaCodec being the only selected option that whenever i play WTV files that the progress bar is wrong. Time remaining, never displays farther out than the current playback time. For example once it's a minute in it says 1:00/1:00, five minutes in 5:00/5:00. LibStage doesn't do that, it reports the remaining length properly. I guess i'll stick with MediaCodec for now though since i'd rather have everything play more than having accurate time remaining.

Once i had it all working i did go ahead and upgrade to the latest beta. Seems to function the same. LibStage wont play select WTV files but shows accurate time remaining, MediaCodec plays all of the WTVs that i've tried but never has accurate time remaining.
I'll have to look at the time remaining. I know someone mentioned that having both libstage and mediacodec would be like having no h/w acceleration, but that is the only way my setup is working. If I have libstage certain files won't pay. If just mediacodec I get random crashes. If I disable both everything works perfect including 15 mbts blue ray rips from handbrake. If I turn off h/w everything is stuttering.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - josefwells - 2014-05-24

Found a quirk this week. If your internet connection goes down and you have a PIN on your ftv, it becomes a paperweight.. Well I suppose if you autolaunch xbmc.. But mine is llamaed onto another app.

PIN verification requires internet, so while my internet was down, so was my fire TV. My local LAN was fine, but I couldn't launch xbmc to utilize it.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - RustyTongueRing - 2014-05-24

(2014-05-23, 23:41)drew_willy Wrote:
(2014-05-23, 14:33)Apothis Wrote:
(2014-05-23, 14:11)RustyTongueRing Wrote: Thank you very much. This helps greatly.

I guess that leaves me with another question regarding audio specifically. You have said that HD audio does not work "but with DTS-MA it will extract core DTS track, with True-HD you will get stereo." I am not at all well-versed with HD audio formats or serious receiver/speaker setups (I still think 5.1 surround sound in itself is amazing). Suppose I have a 2.1 soundbar to which I connect the Fire TV via HDMI. I have previously had no trouble getting the soundbar to play audio from files containing DTS and Dolby Digital audio. Will I be able to get 2.1 audio when XBMC on the Fire TV attempts to play a video with DTS-MA or True-HD audio? From what you've written above, I think the answer is yes, but I am not sure. Also, seeing that my HTPC plays the same file in XBMC just fine, producing audio via 3.5mm aux line to 2.1 computer speakers*, I strongly suspect the audio will play fine on the soundbar via HDMI, but just checking with somebody who obviously knows a lot more about all the audio stuff than I do.

*I know, my audio setup is super lame, but it is all I can afford now; it works at present. Later in the year, when my budget allows, I would like to step up my 2.1 computer speaker setup to a true 5.1 setup. But getting info on that would probably require a whole other thread...

I'm curious about this as well, because I will have a similar setup with similar formats and not well versed with all the different audio formats. Haven't really played anything other than tv shows, and haven't had much time to test much else. Thanks in advance, been following this thread for a while and have learned a lot in the process.

I'm not sure what the actual question is here, as you messed up the quotes. But to put it simply, if doing HDMI audio passthrough, to a device that at least supports AC3/DTS, then those formats will be decoded on the receiving device. If your source material contains DTS-MA, then as the firetv cant ouput that, it will fall back to the DTS core track exactly as if the source was DTS, rather than DTS-MA, and the original answer applies. If the source material is TrueHD, then again the firetv cant output that, but in this case it will output a Stereo only track over the HDMI, when your receiving device will then do whatever it normally does with stereo material.

Apothis,

I agree that RustyTongueRing screwed up the quotes, but if you go back to my post #2769 that he is quoting, you can discern what I originally wrote and what RustyTongueRing added.

As to your confusion over what the original question was, well... the sentence that ended with a question mark. I hate to be that guy, but, even granting the quoting problems above, it seems to me you directly answered the question. Based on your reply, am I correct in thinking that the earlier poster who was having problems with a DTS-MA file (badnaam, or something like that) really wasn't experiencing a difficulty based on limitations of the Fire TV, so much as he was having problems as a result of audio settings in xbmc? That is what nickr suggested was the problem earlier, I think. So badnaam, and any others attempting to play DTS-MA audio, should have success simply by adjusting their audio settings as nickr has said. Right?

Yes I messed up the quotes, and for that I apologize. It will be the last time I tried to edit a response on my phone...it has been slow at work.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the response and clarification regarding these jumbled up quotes. Basically what I see is that it will play the audio, it just won't necessarily be original format/quality - that's what I needed to know. Again, sorry for any confusion I may have caused with the quotes.

Cheers!

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - RustyTongueRing - 2014-05-24

(2014-05-24, 01:47)navigates Wrote:
(2014-05-24, 00:46)exit Wrote: For those having audio sync issues, I moved from stable Gotham 13.0 to the 13.1 beta 2 today and that fixed the need to offset the audio ahead by 0.025 seconds. Seems like stuff is in sync now without any audio offset adjustments.

I'm gonna have to check this out. Thanks. Good to know.

I can also confirm this. Switched just now, played several tv shows, and they were all in sync with no offset.

Thanks for the heads-up.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - CuriousG - 2014-05-24

Can anyone confirm that the forward and backward remote keys for the FTV don't work by default unless you have a custom keyboard.xml that has the appropriate changes to forward and backward? I tested my keyboard.xml with SPMC 12.4.2 and that works just like Gotham releases which also requires custom keymaps.

I figure this should be added to the wiki and/or removed from the known issues.