Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - schwang - 2014-07-09

(2014-07-09, 23:37)RustyTongueRing Wrote:
(2014-07-09, 23:29)schwang Wrote:
(2014-07-09, 23:19)MaxieWagner Wrote: FWIW, I was shocked when my Dad called me and said that he was getting messages that his Fire TV Memory was critically low. With only one app and XBMC installed, I couldn't understand how this could be the case.

Imagine my surprise when he told me that his XBMC app was reading 3.5 GB!

He didn't know what to do and simply did a reinstallation which solved the issue.

How could he have reduced his bloated memory without starting completely over?

I'd just like to know if I'm doing something wrong. I was using xbmc to stream my videos from my PC (ethernet connection). I used the scrapers to get the info for movies and tv shows. Once I had gone through almost all of my shows and movies and made corrections, I started getting the memory errors. Did I do something wrong or is this just what happens in my case? Is the only way to get around this problem to root the device and set it up for external storage?

You don't need root to use the pathsubstitution described a few posted back. The thumbnails collected after scraping will fill it up pretty easily if you have a decent sized library.

The poster used Stickmount which needs the device to be rooted. Unless the pathsub can be set up to go back to my computer's hard drive? Is there anywhere that there might be step by step instructions on how to set this up? I'm still pretty new and I have little experience in doing what was described to me a few posts back. I have no idea where or how to enter the commands the poster provided.

thanks

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - jocala - 2014-07-09

(2014-07-09, 22:45)putnam_press Wrote:
(2014-07-07, 21:09)jocala Wrote: http://jocala.com/adbfire.html

adbFire V1.0 changelog

Fix for OS X Fire TV root

Application home directory change: “adbFire”

Help file additions

LOVE that this app exists, thanks for your work jocala.

Do I need to install any other apps to root or its as simple as pushing the button?

I just ordered the box (here on Friday) and am worried that firmware version will be too high to root Undecided

I just got a new ftv last Thursday and it still had the original pre-51.1.0.2 software, I forget the version. No other software required for root. Just push the button (and run towelroot on the ftv, pressing its "make it rain" button.)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - schwang - 2014-07-10

So, after some investigating, I saw that installing stickmount and foldermount on a rooted aftv will allow me to move the thumbnails from the internal storage over to a mounted hard drive. Did I understand this correctly? The xml method mentioned earlier seems a bit too advanced for me.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - RustyTongueRing - 2014-07-10

(2014-07-09, 23:43)schwang Wrote:
(2014-07-09, 23:37)RustyTongueRing Wrote:
(2014-07-09, 23:29)schwang Wrote: I'd just like to know if I'm doing something wrong. I was using xbmc to stream my videos from my PC (ethernet connection). I used the scrapers to get the info for movies and tv shows. Once I had gone through almost all of my shows and movies and made corrections, I started getting the memory errors. Did I do something wrong or is this just what happens in my case? Is the only way to get around this problem to root the device and set it up for external storage?

You don't need root to use the pathsubstitution described a few posted back. The thumbnails collected after scraping will fill it up pretty easily if you have a decent sized library.

The poster used Stickmount which needs the device to be rooted. Unless the pathsub can be set up to go back to my computer's hard drive? Is there anywhere that there might be step by step instructions on how to set this up? I'm still pretty new and I have little experience in doing what was described to me a few posts back. I have no idea where or how to enter the commands the poster provided.

thanks

You're just telling xbmc where to place thumbnails. To avoid filling up your aftv you can use your network drive on your pc. Create text document and paste the below.

Save as advancedsettings.xml. Place it in /org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/. After I did this it didn't automatically move the thumbnails it just created subfolders, and I had to move artwork manually. Once you get them moved to your new folder you can delete the thumbnail folder on your box to free up that space. This may happen automatically, but it didn't for me.

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>special://Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>PROTOCOL://YOUR_NETWORK_SHARE/xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</to>
  </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - JJ-KwiK - 2014-07-10

(2014-07-10, 00:09)schwang Wrote: So, after some investigating, I saw that installing stickmount and foldermount on a rooted aftv will allow me to move the thumbnails from the internal storage over to a mounted hard drive. Did I understand this correctly? The xml method mentioned earlier seems a bit too advanced for me.
If you're talking about my post, then only stickmount is required.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - gr8m8sam - 2014-07-10

(2014-07-09, 20:43)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-07-09, 20:27)schwang Wrote: I was always under the impression that xbmc used up the internal memory of the aftv. When I had all of my movies and tv shows going through xbmc, after a while, I started getting memory full errors and I had to constantly clear the cache just to run it. The thumbnails are in the folders on my computer, but doesn't xbmc load that stuff up in the internal memory of the aftv to make it come up faster? I swear I read that somewhere, and I think that's what I experienced.

Yes, that's right. Typically local disks are several times faster than network disks, so all artwork is resized and cached locally on first use.
Then you get the faster access times. It can require a few gigs of local storage for a reasonable sized library.

You can force the thumbnail to be located on a network drive (with pathsubstitution), but you will lose some speed.

I have all my local video files on my NAS and my Library setup with a networked MySQL database to store all movie and TV info, thumbs etc. In this case will XBMC still fill the local Thumb cache? Do I need to add the pathsubs setting in advsettings.xml??

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - jocala - 2014-07-10

(2014-07-10, 04:30)gr8m8sam Wrote:
(2014-07-09, 20:43)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-07-09, 20:27)schwang Wrote: I was always under the impression that xbmc used up the internal memory of the aftv. When I had all of my movies and tv shows going through xbmc, after a while, I started getting memory full errors and I had to constantly clear the cache just to run it. The thumbnails are in the folders on my computer, but doesn't xbmc load that stuff up in the internal memory of the aftv to make it come up faster? I swear I read that somewhere, and I think that's what I experienced.

Yes, that's right. Typically local disks are several times faster than network disks, so all artwork is resized and cached locally on first use.
Then you get the faster access times. It can require a few gigs of local storage for a reasonable sized library.

You can force the thumbnail to be located on a network drive (with pathsubstitution), but you will lose some speed.

I have all my local video files on my NAS and my Library setup with a networked MySQL database to store all movie and TV info, thumbs etc. In this case will XBMC still fill the local Thumb cache? Do I need to add the pathsubs setting in advsettings.xml??

MySQL doesn't store graphics, afaik. You'll still need pathsubs.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Ned Scott - 2014-07-10

(2014-07-10, 04:30)gr8m8sam Wrote: I have all my local video files on my NAS and my Library setup with a networked MySQL database to store all movie and TV info, thumbs etc. In this case will XBMC still fill the local Thumb cache? Do I need to add the pathsubs setting in advsettings.xml??

Only if you're running low on internal memory. Otherwise you're just making XBMC a lot slower by using path subs for a network location, and it can cause issues more than one device is accessing the same folder of thumbnails.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Ned Scott - 2014-07-10

Here's a whole page of tips on reducing the internal memory used: HOW-TO:Reduce XBMC disk space usage (wiki)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - heddhunter - 2014-07-10

I want to install an FTP server on my Fire TV. So far I've read that RapFox is a good one, but how do I get the actual apk file? I don't have any android devices (other than the FTV).

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - gr8m8sam - 2014-07-10

(2014-07-10, 05:02)jocala Wrote:
(2014-07-10, 04:30)gr8m8sam Wrote:
(2014-07-09, 20:43)popcornmix Wrote: Yes, that's right. Typically local disks are several times faster than network disks, so all artwork is resized and cached locally on first use.

MySQL doesn't store graphics, afaik. You'll still need pathsubs.

(2014-07-10, 05:11)Ned Scott Wrote: Here's a whole page of tips on reducing the internal memory used: HOW-TO:Reduce XBMC disk space usage (wiki)

Thanks Guys. Much appreciated.

(2014-07-10, 05:17)heddhunter Wrote: I want to install an FTP server on my Fire TV. So far I've read that RapFox is a good one, but how do I get the actual apk file? I don't have any android devices (other than the FTV).

Here you go

http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/?id=com.rapfox.ftpsvr

Cheers!

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - finalheaven - 2014-07-10

(2014-07-09, 18:03)jocala Wrote:
(2014-07-09, 17:19)schwang Wrote: I just have a couple issues with XBMC on the AFTV and I'm wondering if anyone has any solutions:

1) The internal storage space is not adequate for xbmc. Most of my stuff is on external hard drives attached to my computer. With xbmc, it uses the storage of the device to cache all of the artwork and info for my videos, which fills up the aftv in no time. How can you guys be running xbmc this way? (I don't want to root the device if I can help it)

2) I can never seem to get xbmc back up to work properly. It will back up to my computer, but when I choose restore, it never seems to find any files to restore. I've been trying this on different versions of xbmc and still no luck.

I prefer xbmc over Plex, but these are big drawbacks for me.

Any help is appreciated.

I use these lines in advancedsettings.xml

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>special://profile/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>smb://bignas1/media/xbmc/Thumbnails/</to>
  </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

It offloads my thumbnails to my nas.

I can't speak for the addon backup. I use the backup I built into adbFire. It works fine for me.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - jocala - 2014-07-10

(2014-07-10, 05:09)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-07-10, 04:30)gr8m8sam Wrote: I have all my local video files on my NAS and my Library setup with a networked MySQL database to store all movie and TV info, thumbs etc. In this case will XBMC still fill the local Thumb cache? Do I need to add the pathsubs setting in advsettings.xml??

Only if you're running low on internal memory. Otherwise you're just making XBMC a lot slower by using path subs for a network location, and it can cause issues more than one device is accessing the same folder of thumbnails.

That ~ 5Gb on the ftv gets sucked up real quick. My Thumnails folder is 1.5Gb.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - heddhunter - 2014-07-10

How do I enable DTS passthrough? DD is working fine, but DTS just gets turned into stereo PCM. My amp is capable of DTS decoding (it works fine with Raspberry Pi + XBMC, Playstation3)

XBMC 13.1 (June 4 2014)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - schwang - 2014-07-10

Ok, here's my latest bit of frustration. I'm setting up Foldermount on my aftv in order to move the thumbnails to a usb stick so xbmc won't take up all the memory. However, the aftv remote won't navigate the menu for foldermount! So, I have to pull the usb stick and connect my wireless mouse, which allows me to navigate now. However, when I click on assign a destination, it only recognizes the internal sd card because now the usb stick is no longer plugged in! Any suggestions?