Kodi Community Forum
Req Dynamic Range Compression Audio - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Req Dynamic Range Compression Audio (/showthread.php?tid=196313)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Dynamic Range Compression Audio - dymas - 2016-07-21

Why are the people asking for this (volume amplification) to be implemented for music sources as well, constantly ignored? I can't use any music add-ons (radio...) in the evening because of this.

Makes you wonder why this hasn't been done way back. It's not possible via dsp yet.

RE: Dynamic Range Compression Audio - Ned Scott - 2016-07-21

They're not being ignored. The music player is very different from the video player. Any fix/addition requires a non-trivial amount of work. Very few people even understands enough of how Kodi works to do this.

You make me wonder if critical thinking is a lost art.

RE: Dynamic Range Compression Audio - FernetMenta - 2016-07-21

(2016-07-21, 09:49)Ned Scott Wrote: The music player is very different from the video player. Any fix/addition requires a non-trivial amount of work

In regard to the requested feature, it is just the UI part that is missing.

Which I presume is still a non-trivial amount of work. Otherwise it would have been added by now.

(2016-07-21, 11:33)Ned Scott Wrote: Which I presume is still a non-trivial amount of work. Otherwise it would have been added by now.

Considering your development capabilities even a single line of code change is non-trivial. For someone with a little more skills I estimate 1-2 hours for adding the dialog. More or less a copy/paste from video player related artefacts.

I'm not talking about myself. I don't know how to program, nor do I ever wish to know. Save your childish insults. It's still a non-trivial effort or else it would have happened by now.

(2016-07-21, 12:02)Ned Scott Wrote: I'm not talking about myself. I don't know how to program, nor do I ever wish to know. Save your childish insults. It's still a non-trivial effort or else it would have happened by now.

Stop your uneducated posts. You know nothing about development and can't give any judgement on whether something is trivial or not. Neither you know if some dev has been interested in implementing it nor the reason why it hasn't been done so for.

Don't forget that you are not part of team Kodi. Stop pretending that you have any insights.

Oh, I'm sorry, I must have missed the PR?

If I ever were to say to a user "This would be easy to add", knowing full well that a dev specifically said that, you would yell at me all the same. You are only looking for an excuse to try and dismiss me in public. You are going out of your way to go into threads I am already involved in to start fights. That's really pathetic.

RE: Dynamic Range Compression Audio - dymas - 2016-07-21

I read the thread, this issue was raised two or three times and never spawned any response. Made me wonder why, as it seems (to me) like an nontrivial feature.

No reason to fight over this

Dynamic Range Compression Audio - ksooo - 2016-07-21

In opensource projects without paid members, things are not prioritized via end user value, business value, whatever criteria. It is all about attracting at least one developer to implement something. Personal interest of a spare time developer can really very differ from professional project demands. ;-)

I for myself implement the things first for which I see value for myself, family, friends, because I do not have enough spare time to implement more. Not nice, but this is the way it works.

(2016-07-21, 16:04)dymas Wrote: I read the thread, this issue was raised two or three times and never spawned any response. Made me wonder why, as it seems (to me) like an nontrivial feature.

No reason to fight over this

It is important that the community has a clear view about the effort and level of complexity of a new feature. A complex feature most likely never gets picked up by an unexperienced developer. But a rather simple feature that can be implemented in a reasonable amount of time could attract devs who may want to get familiar with the code base of Kodi.
Again, this particular feature is rather trivial. It's all there but the UI part that can be copied.

Dynamic Range Compression Audio - ksooo - 2016-07-21

Absolutely, as I said: it's all about *attracting* a developer. ;-)

RE: Dynamic Range Compression Audio - Jon130 - 2016-11-02

I too would really love a modification or plugin for the video player that limits the dynamic audio range so that I can hear the dialog and not have to jump for the remote to turn down the REALLY LOUD MUSIC AND EXPLOSIONS.

So, if someone was willing to develop this, how much are we really talking about money-wise? It seems like there are enough interested people interested to fund this.

RE: Dynamic Range Compression Audio - mrsfixit - 2016-11-07

(2016-11-02, 08:15)Jon130 Wrote: I too would really love a modification or plugin for the video player that limits the dynamic audio range so that I can hear the dialog and not have to jump for the remote to turn down the REALLY LOUD MUSIC AND EXPLOSIONS.

So, if someone was willing to develop this, how much are we really talking about money-wise? It seems like there are enough interested people interested to fund this.

^^^THIS^^^

Oh dear God, yes. I would love something like this.

I play my stuff on a Raspberry Pi, and listen with wireless headphones. I hate it when I can barely hear the dialog and then an explosion or some other loud noise just about shatters my eardrums.

No wonder I have tinnitus... :-[

I've been getting by using the "poor man's" dynamic range compressor. I set the audio to -10, then the volume amplification to +25.

The recommended setting is -20 and +30, but for me I find the first settings to be a little better.

It isn't perfect, but for those files with crazy dynamic range it helps.

But a DRC plugin would be a godsend...

RE: Dynamic Range Compression Audio - operat0r - 2018-12-04

https://www.flickr.com/photos/freeload101/32295932938
Code:
<a href="https://github.com/gotbletu/shownotes/blob/master/pulseaudio-dynamic-range-compression.md" rel="noreferrer nofollow">github.com/gotbletu/shownotes/blob/master/pulseaudio-dyna...</a>

# AS THE LIMITED USER FOR KODI NOT ROOT !  find the device to add  Loudness Equalizer aka Pulseaudio Dynamic Range Compression (LADSPA swh-plugins) Dynamic range compression (DRC) or simply compression reduces the volume of loud sounds or amplifies quiet sounds by narrowing or "compressing" 

plex@plex:~$ pacmd list-sinks | awk '/index/ || /name:/ || /alsa.card_name/ || /device.description/'

index: 0
        name: 
                alsa.card_name = "HDA NVidia"
                device.description = "GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI 2)"
    index: 1
        name: 
                alsa.card_name = "HDA Intel PCH"
                device.description = "Built-in Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958)"
  * index: 2
        name: 
                device.description = "LADSPA Plugin SC4 on GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI 2)"

set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo-extra1

## load ladspa module
.ifexists module-ladspa-sink.so
.nofail
# mono
# load-module module-ladspa-sink sink_name=compressor-mono plugin=sc4m_1916 label=sc4m control=1,1.5,401,-30,20,5,12
# stereo
load-module module-ladspa-sink sink_name=compressor-stereo plugin=sc4_1882 label=sc4 control=1,1.5,401,-30,20,5,12
.fail
.endif

# set our custom compressor audio as default
set-default-sink compressor-stereo

## restart pulseaudio
$ pulseaudio --kill && pulseaudio -vvvvvv --start

Pavucontrol

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=typM_AQUzi4" rel="noreferrer nofollow">www.youtube.com/watch?v=typM_AQUzi4</a> 

#load-module module-suspend-on-idle