Kodi Community Forum
Linux Minix Neo X8-H review - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Linux Minix Neo X8-H review (/showthread.php?tid=196670)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Minix Neo X8-H review "Best XBMC ever" - unicronic - 2014-06-10

(2014-06-10, 10:35)nickr Wrote: You know, 10 bit is not something that the vendor is likely to tout as a feature, or even know exists. Similarly people who do reputable reviews. 10 bit is pretty well a niche (anime fanboy) format, so the only way we will know is when someone buys one and tries it out. Time will tell. Maybe the overall power of the thing will suffice.

I'm actually not all that interested in 10-bit but I am an anime fan. Unfortunately more and more anime is getting encoded in 10-bit so I'm always keeping any eye out for solutions.

RE: Minix Neo X8-H review "Best XBMC ever" - raven7778 - 2014-06-10

Me too fisherman55. I just bought it at geekbuying with the free MINIX NEO M1 Six-Axis Gyroscope 2.4G Wireless Air Mouse and 4 extras gifts for $150 hopefully it was a good buy. ill post a thread after Ive had a chance to play around with it. apparently the first batch was sold so Mine won't be shipped till the 15th of june.

RE: Minix Neo X8-H review "Best XBMC ever" - Phoenex - 2014-06-12

(2014-06-10, 10:37)unicronic Wrote:
(2014-06-10, 10:35)nickr Wrote: You know, 10 bit is not something that the vendor is likely to tout as a feature, or even know exists. Similarly people who do reputable reviews. 10 bit is pretty well a niche (anime fanboy) format, so the only way we will know is when someone buys one and tries it out. Time will tell. Maybe the overall power of the thing will suffice.

I'm actually not all that interested in 10-bit but I am an anime fan. Unfortunately more and more anime is getting encoded in 10-bit so I'm always keeping any eye out for solutions.

There is hope down the road with a new SOC the RK3288 boxes that will be coming out in the next few months.

RE: Minix Neo X8-H review "Best XBMC ever" - PantsOnFire - 2014-06-20

Anyone got the x8h yet? There a few vids up on YouTube of general use, and xbmc is featured a little bit. The mirracast for android screen mirroring looks brilliant. There's one video of it showing an xbmc MINIX special build playing 4k mov file perfectly. Always nice to see :-D

I am keen to see how that system would handle Aeon Nox and all the artworks.

RE: Minix Neo X8-H review "Best XBMC ever" - Churada - 2014-06-20

I ordered one of these a couple of weeks ago and have since had two emails from geek buying that the eta is going to be later, then later again, than advertised when pre-ordering. Latest eta is these coming available at the end of this month then a couple of weeks delivery minimum so not getting my hands on one for a while yet Sad
I choosing to interpret that as that initial sales are good, let hope it meets the hype when it eventually arrives.

RE: Minix Neo X8-H review "Best XBMC ever" - richiebrowns - 2014-06-20

I had one delivered earlier in the week and have so far been very impressed with its speed and xbmc performance. Not had any issues at all playing any content yet.

RE: Minix Neo X8-H review "Best XBMC ever" - hdmkv - 2014-06-20

Do you use hd audio? Is it bitstreaming (passing through) TrueHD and DTS-MA? What about 3D. Does it play MVC MKV and ISO's via XBMC in full (frame-packed) 3D? Thanks.

RE: Minix Neo X8-H review "Best XBMC ever" - jorgefcbastos - 2014-06-20

Enjoying this box a lot. Came from a CX-919 pen and this was a huge upgrade in terms of speed, stability and support / community.

Re: RE: Minix Neo X8-H review "Best XBMC ever" - nickr - 2014-06-20

(2014-06-20, 14:35)hdmkv Wrote: Do you use hd audio? Is it bitstreaming (passing through) TrueHD and DTS-MA? What about 3D. Does it play MVC MKV and ISO's via XBMC in full (frame-packed) 3D? Thanks.

Xbmc does not play mvc at all at present. Xbmc relies on ffmpeg. ffmpeg does not decode mvc.

Frame packed output does work on a branch of xbmc with specific hardware and I think only on windows.

RE: Minix Neo X8-H review "Best XBMC ever" - vprasinos - 2014-06-20

Owner of a Beelink M8 (same as tronsmart vega S82 and minix S8 - minix s8H they use almost same hardware and hence firmware).

Very fast android device with latest firmware from Finless (Freaktab) BUT XBMC still has issues with a lot of files. XMBC uses amcodec for acceleration but amcodec is still immature for this devices featuring the S802/S802-H processor.

If amcodec is selected then there are all sorts of problems with:
- Low and high resolution XviDs (stutter). About 10-20% of my XviD collection plays ok though.
- Picture noise in the form of ringing around objects.
- Washed out colors compared to other XBMC platforms (such as the raspberry pi)
- A lot of 1080p material MUST be played through amcodec for proper playback but has the afformentioned problems.
- If software playback is selected then the above problems go away but can't play properly 1080p.
- No real 1080p@24 kernel.
- Netflix performance lags.

More info for the above issues here and here

The concensus is that they are very capable machines and quite cheap but firmware/amcodec is a long way from perfect. Needs a lot of work from the devs such as Bob finless, oman, Lokie and several others in freaktab but they are trying very hard. My opinion would be to keep an eye at that forum there and see whether it would turn out good or not.

RE: Minix Neo X8-H review "Best XBMC ever" - voip-ninja - 2014-06-20

Android just has too many limitations. No 1080p/24 support and no "match refresh" option are big limitations to a lot of people. Does this box even handle VC1 via hardware decoding? Seems a bit much to claim "best XBMC ever" when it is not a match for any heavier weight XBMC box.

RE: Minix Neo X8-H review "Best XBMC ever" - PantsOnFire - 2014-06-21

Vprasinos, thanks for all this information. I can't his that I'm disappointed to learn it though, terrific shame. I was getting ready to hit buy on this box. The odd framedrop here and there would be liveable, but the other visual issues are a great shame. What those developers are doing is encouraging to hear, there are some very clever ppl out there who I'm sire can make it improved.

RE: Minix Neo X8-H review "Best XBMC ever" - kokap - 2014-06-21

"Best XBMC ever"? Bad joke, I think.
BTW VidOn XBMC supports Blu-ray menu (including BD-Java) and BD3D.ISO in 3D mode - Minix Neo X8 XBMC does NOT have such options.

RE: Minix Neo X8-H review "Best XBMC ever" - kokap - 2014-06-21

(2014-06-20, 14:51)nickr Wrote: Xbmc does not play mvc at all at present. Xbmc relies on ffmpeg. ffmpeg does not decode mvc.

Frame packed output does work on a branch of xbmc with specific hardware and I think only on windows.

You are wrong. VidOn XBMC on VidOn AV200 does support MVC and HDMI 3D Frame Packing. (as well as Blu-ray menu btw).

RE: Minix Neo X8-H review "Best XBMC ever" - nickr - 2014-06-21

Isn't VidOn a fork? I don't think you'll find any of that functionality on XBMC Official?