Kodi Community Forum
Bug Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Music Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=263)
+--- Thread: Bug Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi (/showthread.php?tid=198149)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - steve1977 - 2015-03-25

This all appears so complicated to me. When "overwrite tag" is disabled, there is clearly a bug as spelled out in the opening post and supported by screen shots. There is a clear use case of people not wantint to enable "overwrite tag" with the simplest being that they have spent a lot of time tagging and now no longer want to scrape additional information.

Any idea why this is clear cannot be resolved and what it is hard to get consensus that this is even a bug?

RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - Rouzax - 2015-03-25

(2015-03-25, 03:56)steve1977 Wrote: This all appears so complicated to me. When "overwrite tag" is disabled, there is clearly a bug as spelled out in the opening post and supported by screen shots. There is a clear use case of people not wantint to enable "overwrite tag" with the simplest being that they have spent a lot of time tagging and now no longer want to scrape additional information.

Any idea why this is clear cannot be resolved and what it is hard to get consensus that this is even a bug?

I agree, i've been battling this since the introduction of MBID's in XBMC/Kodi which is almost a year ago.
In that time I've created 2 trac tickets one of which was just closed and the other one is still open without any feedback or comment.

RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - scott967 - 2015-03-25

(2015-03-25, 03:56)steve1977 Wrote: This all appears so complicated to me. When "overwrite tag" is disabled, there is clearly a bug as spelled out in the opening post and supported by screen shots. There is a clear use case of people not wantint to enable "overwrite tag" with the simplest being that they have spent a lot of time tagging and now no longer want to scrape additional information.

Yes we get that's a bug, the proplem is understanding the requirement so the does't create more problems than it solves. The core issue is users want to see the performers for a song to be listed as credited on the release, including various qualifiers like "featured", various connectves like "&" or"and", and possibly aliases. But for searching or viewing artists, they may want the artist listed differently.

One approach is to have a more robust parser for the artist tag, that can accept more variations. But undoubtedly users will still find fault in that they will have to ensure the artst tag conforms to some syntax. The MB solution is to create a new tag that effectvely repeats the artst tag but is restricted in format to make parsing trivial. This is also viable, but requires a new tag.

What I was suggesting is it might be possiple to get this to work by just changing how the MBID artist tag is used. The idea being to avoid creating a complex parser or new tag.

scott s.

RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - steve1977 - 2015-03-26

Thanks, fully under stood what you are saying and makes sense. Let me share my thoughts.

1) As a first step, I would suggest just to remove scanning the MBID. "Basic" users just want to see the perfomers for a slong to be listed as credited on the release, including qualfifiers such as "featured". A "basic" user will not mind having the artists listed separately when searching the artist view. This is the as feature-rich as ITunes and basically all other music clients are, so this should be the basic feature of Kodi as well. Everything beyond is "just" icing on the cake. So ideally, the first step would be just reach this status by solving the "bug" caused by the "MBID" (in other words, disable scanning the MBID until a solution is found).

2) For the advcanced users (like myself), we are also excited to have the full advanced features that you are describing above. They want the artist displayed as credited on the release, but be able to see the individual artists in artist view. For these users, MBZ/Picard have introduced a new tag "artists" and also provides the "MBID". Using the "MBID" still requires to download additional information, which is against the logic of Kodi being able to just use "local information". That's where the need to support the "artists" tag (and potentially albumartists tag) comes from. It appears to be the only way to only use local information to reach the desired advanced functionality. This feature in any case should be "optional". I will be using it, but the majority of users will be happy just to have the "Itunes-functionality" described in (1).

What do you think?

RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - Maaarv - 2015-03-31

just wanted to tell that I'm so happy that I found this thread.

I'm facing the exact same problem and hope that this can be fixed soon.

Spend so much time tagging my music with picard and since I upgraded to Kodi there are those bugged entries.

At least now I know that its not just me Smile

RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - DarkAllMan - 2015-03-31

Same here......... Please fix it!

RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - pit_bull - 2015-03-31

I have same problems and furthermore, my kodi installation keep crashing when I update music library, always with White Zombie - La Sexorcisto Devil Music or Verve Remixed Compilations, I had to move them to another location to not have this problem...

But I understand that maybe there are more important things to do currently Wink

Regards and keep working like always Tongue

RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - Maaarv - 2015-04-08

any news on this or on the ticket? Sad

RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - Rouzax - 2015-04-13

Nope, nothing new on the ticket.

RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - steve1977 - 2015-04-19

Really hope someone can pick this up. I believe the solution can be as easy as ignoring the MBID tags or at least having an option to do so.

Any chance a developer can look into this? This thread shows that I am clearly not the only one facing this issue.

All, would suggest you also pile on the bug report: http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/15761

Thanks!!!

RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - Rouzax - 2015-04-24

Can the people who have this issue please check to see if the file supplied here: http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/15761#comment:8 behaves in the same way with the duplicate artists?

RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - scott967 - 2015-04-24

It works, though this is a special case where albumartist=Various Artists. In this example there is a single Artist tag and two MB Artist IDs. The scraper used the MBIDs to retrieve data from MB (ResolveIDToUrl). With "override tags" off, Kodi entered the song artist in MyMusic db as "artist / artist" (entered twice with separator). Two artists were added, "artist" with the first MBID, and the same "artist" with the second MBID.

Note that if you remove the MBArtistIDs from the tags, the scraper instead parses the artist tag (CreateArtistSearchUrl). Using that, plus "override tags" on, you get pretty close to the right results (except no artist entry for the Feat. artist Years & Years).

scott s.

RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - steve1977 - 2015-04-25

@scott967 - thanks for your elaborations. What you describe is the status quo (bug)? And provided file by Rouzaux allows to replicate it?

Is there a way to solve it besides removing the MBArtist ID? Removing the IDs from my tags is rather time-consuming and enabling "override tags" in Picard would wipe out my albumart. Also some other players make use of the MBID, so I would like to keep it.

For me, the easiest solution would be to have an option in Kodi (or in advancedsetting) not to parse the MBIDs. It should be disabled by default to avoid what all these many people in this thread are experiencing.

What do you think?

RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - Rouzax - 2015-04-25

Here is a royalty free MP3 from http://www.bensound.com/royalty-free-music/track/cute

Tagged as:
Various Artists - Hed Kandi: Miami 2015
And as:
Mark Ronson - Uptown Special

With these settings:

Also the same songs tagged with id v2.3

With these settings:

Download Link

Please feel free to test with these.
If anything else is needed let me know.

RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - steve1977 - 2015-04-29

Any progress? Anything I can do?