Kodi Community Forum
Super Turbo settings Raspberry Pi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: Super Turbo settings Raspberry Pi (/showthread.php?tid=199272)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Super Turbo settings Raspberry Pi - MediaPi - 2014-07-04

USEFUL website verified power adapters
http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#Power_adapters

When the foundation layed out the template for settings, that was some time ago. With recent software improvements and more testing time. there should be a new setting. a good PSU has alot do with this but you can atleast give it ago. Also the needs of someone running raspbian are different to the needs of running XBMC. well here are my setting and you'll notice I used core as 550, but I bumped up the other GPU frequencies to play nicely. I have def noticed it abit snappier running core to 550 as apposed to 500. have a go and give your responnse. Also give your own Super Turbo settings

arm_freq=1100
core_freq=550
h264_freq=275
isp_freq=1
v3d_freq=275
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage_sdram=4
over_voltage=8
disable_pvt=1
initial_turbo=60
hdmi_ignore_cec=1
force_turbo=1

Also popcornmix can you answer this question please. From testing there is def a limit to core=600 (any further and it defaults it to 500) but is there a limit to sdram? and if so what is it?

I have run it at 705 successfully (with sdram overvoltage at 8) and it worked but I have no way of testing if that is the speed it is actually running thanks

RE: Super Turbo settings Raspberry Pi - FAMMAR - 2014-07-04

What do you think?..........Should I change something to get better results?

boot_delay=1
disable_splash=1
force_turbo=1
gpu_mem=320
disable_overscan=1
arm_freq=1100
core_freq=550
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage=8
avoid_pwm_pll=1
temp_limit=80
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

RE: Super Turbo settings Raspberry Pi - MediaPi - 2014-07-04

If its working so far then they are good settings. I would add

h264_freq=275
isp_freq=1
v3d_freq=275

(h264 will be exactly half core which is good for arm, I believe)

take out temp_limit (not needed)

I tried to disable splash once to see if it will get faster boot load. I remeber it was a disastrous for some reason. I would take it out

take out avoid_pwm_pll=1 to. I did some testing and if you include this setting. you dont have control over h264, isp, v3d. I believe they stick with just one setting

also not sure why you got boot_delay get rid of that

and include disable_pvt=1

also add initial_turbo=60

force_turbo=1
gpu_mem=320
disable_overscan=1
arm_freq=1100
core_freq=550
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage=8
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
h264_freq=275
isp_freq=1
v3d_freq=275
disable_pvt=1
initial_turbo=60

see how these settings do. You might see improvements because GPU freqencies are playing nicely

I'm surprised your sdram is so high without overclocking sdram. but if its working then no need to bump that up

"I'm surprised your sdram is so high without overclocking sdram. but if its working then no need to bump that up"

So I can safetly try?:

force_turbo=1
gpu_mem=320
disable_overscan=1
arm_freq=1100
core_freq=550
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage_sdram=4
over_voltage=8
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
h264_freq=275
isp_freq=1
v3d_freq=275
disable_pvt=1
initial_turbo=60

RE: Super Turbo settings Raspberry Pi - popcornmix - 2014-07-04

(2014-07-04, 14:33)MediaPi Wrote: disable_pvt=1

Any reason for adding this?
The sdram spec says that sdram refresh needs to be done at a certain rate, and this depends on temperature.
PVT measures the chip temperature periodically (every 2 seconds I think) and adjusts the sdram refresh.

If you disable PVT, then a fixed, more pessamistic refresh is used, so it could hurt performance.

I think the overhead of a high refresh vs a low refresh is about 2%, so probably not noticeable, but I'm interested to know why it was added.

(2014-07-04, 14:41)FAMMAR Wrote: "I'm surprised your sdram is so high without overclocking sdram. but if its working then no need to bump that up"

So I can safetly try?:

force_turbo=1
gpu_mem=320
disable_overscan=1
arm_freq=1100
core_freq=550
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage_sdram=4
over_voltage=8
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
h264_freq=275
isp_freq=1
v3d_freq=275
disable_pvt=1
initial_turbo=60

yes try them and see

(2014-07-04, 14:42)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-07-04, 14:33)MediaPi Wrote: disable_pvt=1

Any reason for adding this?
The sdram spec says that sdram refresh needs to be done at a certain rate, and this depends on temperature.
PVT measures the chip temperature periodically (every 2 seconds I think) and adjusts the sdram refresh.

If you disable PVT, then a fixed, more pessamistic refresh is used, so it could hurt performance.

I think the overhead of a high refresh vs a low refresh is about 2%, so probably not noticeable, but I'm interested to know why it was added.

first a disclaimer. the reasons are based on experience and nothing else. so I'm basically just experiementing and see what worked. but I can get sdram to 705 and if you set pvt to disbale then it worked. if I took it out then it didnt. my logic was that it was overstressing the sdram, but I did not know it could hurt performance. thanks Dom I'll try to take it out and see what happens. Also I used this thread awhile back that gave me the idea

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7696

post 220

Dom I would you mind trying my settings? I want your opinion if you see tangible performance increase. thanks and your the only person that can answer this. is there a limit to sdram?

(2014-07-04, 14:16)MediaPi Wrote: Also popcornmix can you answer this question please. From testing there is def a limit to core=600 (any further and it defaults it to 500) but is there a limit to sdram? and if so what is it?

I think this limit has now gone. I did get a particularly fast Pi and went through the code increasing some of the sanity checks (back in April).
I believe I had:
Code:
arm_freq=1250
core_freq=610
sdram_freq=610
working and actually using those frequencies. I think sdram_freq and core_freq limit is now 750MHz, and arm_freq is 1500MHz.

Fammar add this
over_voltage_sdram=4

if it doesnt work

(2014-07-04, 14:53)MediaPi Wrote: Fammar add this
over_voltage_sdram=4

if it doesnt work

Pi is working...what won't work if it's 4? How can I notice that?

(2014-07-04, 14:52)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-07-04, 14:16)MediaPi Wrote: Also popcornmix can you answer this question please. From testing there is def a limit to core=600 (any further and it defaults it to 500) but is there a limit to sdram? and if so what is it?

I think this limit has now gone. I did get a particularly fast Pi and went through the code increasing some of the sanity checks (back in April).
I believe I had:
Code:
arm_freq=1250
core_freq=610
sdram_freq=610
working and actually using those frequencies. I think sdram_freq and core_freq limit is now 750MHz, and arm_freq is 1500MHz.

OMG that is IMPRESSIVE. wow this is so valuable information. It gives us a perspective on what a Pi can do. ofcourse it depends on each users Pi and what PSU they are using. but even to know that a Pi could theoretically have maximum 1250 arm is a guildline for the upper limit.

thankyou alot of this. and thankyou alot for confirming the upper limit of core and arm limits (although I would say its actually 1250 lol)

I'm real happy with arm=1100 and I think the majority of Pis out there can hit this so I think this should be standard lol

(2014-07-04, 14:55)FAMMAR Wrote:
(2014-07-04, 14:53)MediaPi Wrote: Fammar add this
over_voltage_sdram=4

if it doesnt work

Pi is working...what won't work if it's 4? How can I notice that?

I've got my sdram=600 to but I had to give more power to sdram (over_voltage_sdram=4) otherwise it just froze. If it freezes anytime then add

over_voltage_sdram=4

Personlly the only reason not to add over_voltage_sdram=4 is if your PSU can't provide that voltage and maintain it. but keep those settings.

With these settings, video play's and after 3 minutes it's out and xbmc restarts

force_turbo=1
gpu_mem=320
disable_overscan=1
arm_freq=1100
core_freq=550
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage_sdram=4
over_voltage=8
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
h264_freq=275
isp_freq=1
v3d_freq=275
disable_pvt=1
initial_turbo=60

(2014-07-04, 16:27)FAMMAR Wrote: With these settings, video play's and after 3 minutes it's out and xbmc restarts

Remember that the only guaranteed overclock is using stock frequencies.
Now most Pi's do overclock well, but it depends on the specific characteristics of the silicon on your specific Pi, and the quality of the power supply.

In my experience with a decent power supply, most Pi's will do (with overvolt) arm_freq=1000, core_freq=500, sdram_freq=500.

Once you move beyond that, the number of Pi's that handle "super turbo" overclocks does reduce.
If you see crashes or reboots, you've got to gradually lower the numbers and try again, until it is as stable as running with no overclock.

The only reason I believe its restarting is because your charger is dropping below the minim 5v. Thats because you added over_voltage sdram=4 take that out.

The settings I gave arnt much different to yours. If the h264 or v3d are the culprits it would just hang and not restart. take out

over_voltage_sdram=4

or even reduce it to 2

the settings I gave are not much different to the ones you had.

and popcornmix is the guy that actually knows what hes on about and makes the software for the Pi LOL. so my knowledge is like primary school standard and his is a PHD.

Edit. I just re read your post if your playing a video and your having problems it could be to do with h264 being to high. but i've not had it reboot on me. I would recommend to try to get rid of the over voltage and if that doesn't work then keep the setting you had

With these settings again, no problems:

force_turbo=1
gpu_mem=320
disable_overscan=1
arm_freq=1100
core_freq=550
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage=8
avoid_pwm_pll=1
temp_limit=80
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

RE: Super Turbo settings Raspberry Pi - da-anda - 2014-07-05

is there a reason why you use force_turbo? I always had the impression that the dynamic overclocking was acting pretty quick and I personally can sleep a bit better when I know that I'm not constantly stressing the CPU to it's max