Kodi Community Forum
Release YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: Release YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) (/showthread.php?tid=200735)

RE: YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - J876 - 2016-03-09

(2016-03-09, 20:13)7007h4k32 Wrote: Yes, I read the sticky at the beginning of the post!

Everyone's responses to my comment is helping me to understand the situation better. My question about "Team Kodi" is based on the fact that Youtube, as well as dozens of other plugins, are referred to as "Official Kodi Addons". And then this designation is followed by the disclaimer, "Although this is the official Kodi repository we take no liability for any of these Add-ons written by 3rd parties. We are not responsible for their content or application. Any problems please post in the forum thread or contact the foundation".

It seems to me that you cannot have it both ways: it is "official" yet Kodi accepts no responsibility. I guess what this means is that an addon has to "pass muster" before being admitted to the repository, but that is as far as it goes.

Thanks to Team Kodi for providing a dynamic framework for accessing content which is open source!

What about other "Official" repositories like the ones the Linux distributions have?

The majority of the software written by people and companies on those repositories are not supported by the OS maker. They do some testing, but
not to the level that the persons who wrote the software has to do.

The Kodi Official Repository is the same. The addon maker needs to be contacted to get support first.

RE: YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - 7007h4k32 - 2016-03-10

OK. Good answers everyone. I don't have enough experience here to see and to click on the "Thank You" button, so thank you anyhow!

~James

RE: YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - jdf76 - 2016-03-10

Ahh thx for the info, didnt know that

(2016-03-09, 23:20)rodalpho Wrote: Actually, I believe Bromix developed this addon from scratch. There was a previous "official" YouTube addon, but it used a different codebase. So when that developer stepped away, his addon was abandoned and Bromix took over.

And yes, thanks to everybody working on it! I did not mean to diminish your help in any way.

RE: YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - jdf76 - 2016-03-10

(2016-03-09, 23:31)J876 Wrote: What about other "Official" repositories like the ones the Linux distributions have?

The majority of the software written by people and companies on those repositories are not supported by the OS maker. They do some testing, but
not to the level that the persons who wrote the software has to do.

The Kodi Official Repository is the same. The addon maker needs to be contacted to get support first.

I'll be honest, i don't know how other repo's work. The one thing I like about kodi is that the software does exactly what it's supposed to be and is updated all the time. I found myself using it all the time which is why i donated to the project.

Jeff

RE: YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - DjDiabolik - 2016-03-10

(2016-03-09, 05:02)misty01 Wrote: @DjDiabolik:

I am not going to explain the entire code change, only the basic concept.

CUT CUT.

I do not quote your full reply at this point.......... it's all clearly... but at this point i thinks there's present a bug.... the current login_client.py it's:

Code:
'youtube-for-kodi-16': {
            'system': 'Jarvis',
            'key': '%s' % api_key,
            'id': '%s.apps.googleusercontent.com' % api_id,
            'secret': '%s' % api_secret

At this point the id it's -> youtube.api.id (picked from setting.xml) + '.apps.gooogleusercontent.com'

It's not wrong put the % api_id after the apps.googleuser parts ??

Or in phyton if you want to "add" two variables will need to order at reverse order ?

RE: YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - misty01 - 2016-03-10

(2016-03-10, 02:06)DjDiabolik Wrote:
(2016-03-09, 05:02)misty01 Wrote: @DjDiabolik:

I am not going to explain the entire code change, only the basic concept.

CUT CUT.

I do not quote your full reply at this point.......... it's all clearly... but at this point i thinks there's present a bug.... the current login_client.py it's:

Code:
'youtube-for-kodi-16': {
            'system': 'Jarvis',
            'key': '%s' % api_key,
            'id': '%s.apps.googleusercontent.com' % api_id,
            'secret': '%s' % api_secret

At this point the id it's -> youtube.api.id (picked from setting.xml) + '.apps.gooogleusercontent.com'

It's not wrong put the % api_id after the apps.googleuser parts ??

Or in phyton if you want to "add" two variables will need to order at reverse order ?

It is working correctly or everybody would be complaining loudly about it. Wink

If you have python installed on your computer, you can type in my examples and see for yourself that it is working correctly.

It might be good if you had further knowledge about Formatting Strings.

You can also download this python book (pdf): http://www2.ncssm.edu/~cs/ebooks/LearnPythonTheHardWay.pdf to learn python or use as a reference.

You can do it a couple ways, but 2nd way has other advantages over 1st way.

Code:
1st way:

a001 = "abcdefgh"
a002 = "ijklmnopq"
a003 = "rstuvwxyz"

print a001
>>> abcdefgh
print a001 + a002
>>> abcdefghijklmnopq
print a001 + a002 + a003
>>> abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

2nd way:

a001 = "abcdefgh"
a002 = "ijklmnopq"
a003 = "rstuvwxyz"

print "%s" % a001
>>> abcdefgh
print "%s%s" % (a001, a002)
>>> abcdefghijklmnopq
print "%s%s%s" % (a001, a002, a003)
>>> abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

RE: YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - Julipo - 2016-03-10

Will be some of the fixed versions added to the official repo? Or we will need to install manually one of the fixed versions?

RE: YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - *Spider* - 2016-03-10

(2016-03-10, 16:05)Julipo Wrote: Will be some of the fixed versions added to the official repo? Or we will need to install manually one of the fixed versions?

Yes and yes if you don't want a broken YouTube viewing experience.

RE: YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - amcfarla - 2016-03-10

(2016-03-06, 11:41)Kolifanes Wrote: @misty01
https://github.com/Kolifanes/plugin.video.youtube/releases/tag/5.1.20.4
Done

We have only one key is from Google. YouTube TV. But appreciate your solution.

@Kolifanes appreciate your work on keeping the Youtube add up to date. I had one question, I was wondering where does your own API keys get stored when you enter them? Since I have four Kodi media centers in my house as opposed to entering my API code on every media center, I could just copy that file to the other media centers and my API code would be on the machine without having to enter the painful api code entry for each one via the onscreen keyboard. Thank you again for working on this addon.

RE: YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - misty01 - 2016-03-10

@amcfarla

kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.youtube/settings.xml

RE: YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - amcfarla - 2016-03-10

(2016-03-10, 18:42)misty01 Wrote: @amcfarla

kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.youtube/settings.xml

Cool, thanks for the info @misty01

RE: YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - mark112887 - 2016-03-11

disregard

RE: YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - Tecoberg - 2016-03-11

Hi bromix,

That a really pity you stop to maintaining the youtube addon. It is very important to kodi and to use O.S. like OPENELEC (I use it).

Maybe is a better idea stop to maintaining et a Vimeo addon and take youtube addon maintaing back because it is a great way to bring more users to that plataform.

I'd like to help but I know nothing how to build such addon.

If you can help me understand how it words may I try to make a fork or help you to bring back this important addon.

Best regards,

Tecoberg

RE: YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - *Spider* - 2016-03-11

@Tecoberg

Bromix has moved on with his life and is not going to be your programming instructor.

"IMPORTANT
Because of private reasons I'll stop maintaining the addons at the end of this year (2015). Please fork the projects from GitHub or rewrite them completely. But I haven't the time or motivation anymore to do so, because other things in life got more important for me in the past 2 month."

RE: YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - Fludizz - 2016-03-11

Just as a minor suggestion... would it be an idea to update the plugin provider string:
Code:
<addon id="plugin.video.youtube" name="YouTube" version="5.1.20.4" provider-name="bromix">

I'm not suggesting removing bromix his name from the plugin (Credit where credit is due and such), but more to update it to the current maintainer(s) for clarity sake.
Any thoughts?