Kodi Community Forum
Release YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: Release YouTube (IMPORTANT - READ FIRST POST) (/showthread.php?tid=200735)

RE: YouTube (ALPHA 17) - MediaPi - 2014-08-23

(2014-08-22, 18:55)woodside Wrote: Thanks... by the way good job on your plugin.

I have nothing to do with plugin. Bromix is the Dev, he's of on vacation and im confident he knows the solution and will tell when hes back

Edit: nvm seems like you got what you want at the end

RE: YouTube (ALPHA 17) - woodside - 2014-08-23

I'm using the new capability of Gotham to fill a dynamic list with the content tag below. It fills the list and when clicked the videos open and play and everything seems to work fine except the tag $INFO[Player.Title] that is supposed to show the title of the currently playing video, just shows "videoplayback" now. Is that a bug? Thanks.

PHP Code:
<content>plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?path=/root/search&amp;feed=search&amp;search=$INFO[Window(Home).Property(Artist)]</content> 

RE: YouTube (ALPHA 17) - Crowly - 2014-08-26

(2014-08-12, 05:25)loki05 Wrote: after logging in using the google 2step verification, the folders load, but nothing in them except for watch history.

(2014-08-22, 19:51)klikkamongo Wrote: Hi,

I downloaded the Alpha 17 version and logged in with my Google account. The problem is I can only see two menu items, "Search" and "Browse Channels". In the menu items settings all are checked as show. I have tried uncheck all items and recheck again. But still I cant see the menu items. Any idea how I can fix this?

Make an app password: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

A few tips: always look at the last 3-4 pages (or the whole thread if its not to big), its likely others have reported the same issue as you, and a solution may already be posted.
Also check the first post, usually the add-on creator has a list of known issues and possible ways to fix them.

(2014-08-22, 17:52)JasonPell Wrote: <snip> the original plugin, as it has all the web page login, 2 - factor auth, etc all figured out.
Not really. The 2 factor login worked for me before, but now it doesn't, and reading that thread a lot of others have steadily reported problems with login. I fixed mine with following a youtube video showing how to manually create the oauth2_access_token etc (it has been linked a few times in that thread). That add-on doesn't support app passwords, while this does. So when it comes to login i guess its a mixed bag. But if it works fine for you then thats great Smile

Another difference i've noticed is videos flagged as mature, this add-on plays them just fine, while the other is broken. Heres an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdCIcAWPXks (contains a sex scene from the game The Witcher 2)

RE: YouTube (ALPHA 17) - JasonPell - 2014-08-26

You realize app passwords aren't all that secure. They basically make 2 factor auth pointless as they are not limited to a single app. If anyone gets hold of your app password they can access any google web services that support app passwords. Not just YouTube.

If you do some googling you may find app passwords are not as safe as you might think. I will stick with real 2 factor authentication.

This plugin does not provide access to any features of the web site that require a logon so things like purchases will never work.

App passwords don't provide access to logon via web either

RE: YouTube (ALPHA 17) - suku_patel_22 - 2014-08-26

I have an issue here.
When I share a link from my Android device using Yatse, it gives an error and works with the other YouTube addon.

Its a shame that all this effort could not have gone to enhance the other plugin. Maybe fix those logon issues.

The open source community obsession with forking is counter productive.

(2014-08-26, 17:27)suku_patel_22 Wrote: I have an issue here.
When I share a link from my Android device using Yatse, it gives an error and works with the other YouTube addon.

This has already been asked an answered in this thread, browse backwards or use the search functionality

(2014-08-26, 17:32)JasonPell Wrote: Its a shame that all this effort could not have gone to enhance the other plugin. Maybe fix those logon issues.

That was why i posted the link to the youtube-dl module, so the author of this add-on could (perhaps) use that (no need to reinvent the wheel). Info about that has also been posted in the other add-ons thread, if not directly to the module, at least to the post where the request for that to be made its own module is made. Also i have a impression that the other add-on might need some rewriting, which is the reason for this add-ons existence. Also the update frequency of the other add-on has not been great this year (imo). Maybe its easier to start from scratch than try to fix the other one?
About your comment in the other thread that this add-on lack a lot of features, well its marked as "work in progress" and alpha. So i would argue that this should be used for testing only and to give feedback whats working, whats not, and which features we would like to see. Then use the other one as your main YT add-on. When this gets to a complete/stable/release version its up to each of us which we prefer.

RE: YouTube (ALPHA 17) - schumi2004 - 2014-08-26

(2014-08-21, 04:45)MrMarijuano Wrote:
(2014-08-09, 00:50)arithine Wrote:
(2014-08-08, 05:06)MrMarijuano Wrote: thanks for this. Also the repo doesn't show anything for me.

Check to see if "Hide Foreign" is checked, I had the same problem.

Thanks, it worked for me.

If anyone else has this problem, this option is found pressing left at the Add-ons menu (using Confluence skin)

(2014-08-17, 12:57)gott_sei_dank Wrote:
(2014-08-13, 18:44)tinybutstrong Wrote: I don't want more bureaucracy to my life.

Previous "official" Youtube addon is working fine, but I remember to authorize the app somewhat in a google url looooong time ago. Something similar is available for this addon?

I'm confused too, do I need to add an app password for bromix Youtube and that won't affect the original Youtube plugin, never touched 2-step auth before because I set up a separate Google account back in the old merging of accounts days.

(2014-08-17, 14:52)schumi2004 Wrote:
(2014-08-13, 12:42)tinybutstrong Wrote: Login not working for me. I'm using the credentials used in youtube.com (gmail+pass), I don't have 2 step verification enabled. Any suggestion would be good.

Same here. Never used 2-step auth since this is a account for Kodi only.
Original YT addon works perfect though

/edit:
Don't see any login attempt in debug log either.

I didn't really understood the type of account you're using but maybe my experience will help. I had a normal YouTube account before it asked me to merge it to my Google acct., but I rejected the option, so I got an "[email protected]" for my old YT acct. If you haven't set a password for it do this:

In YT, go to the upper right corner, click on your acct. icon, click the gear "YouTube settings", under your acct. name click advanced, then change or add password.

In the add-on just login with your "@pages.plusgoogle.com" and your new password.
Thanks for helping but my situation is different then yours, I do have a gmail.com since merged it.
In the next page someone suggested to create a app pass but that doesn't make sense since i then need to activate 2-step auth.
I can try to reset pass and see if that helps.
Strange things is that it does work on original YT addon and it doesn't in this alpha version.

/edit:
Also going to try to revoke access from YT addon in security settings, maybe there is a conflict since the previous addon was already registered?
https://security.google.com/settings/u/1/security/permissions?hl=en

(2014-08-26, 20:57)Crowly Wrote:
(2014-08-26, 17:27)suku_patel_22 Wrote: I have an issue here.

This has already been asked an answered in this thread, browse backwards or use the search functionality

(2014-08-26, 17:32)JasonPell Wrote: Its a shame that all this effort could not have gone to enhance the other plugin. Maybe fix those logon issues.

That was why i posted the link to the youtube-dl module, so the author of this add-on could (perhaps) use that (no need to reinvent the wheel). Info about that has also been posted in the other add-ons thread, if not directly to the module, at least to the post where the request for that to be made its own module is made. Also i have a impression that the other add-on might need some rewriting, which is the reason for this add-ons existence. Also the update frequency of the other add-on has not been great this year (imo). Maybe its easier to start from scratch than try to fix the other one?
About your comment in the other thread that this add-on lack a lot of features, well its marked as "work in progress" and alpha. So i would argue that this should be used for testing only and to give feedback whats working, whats not, and which features we would like to see. Then use the other one as your main YT add-on. When this gets to a complete/stable/release version its up to each of us which we prefer.

Indeed choice is one of the great boons of open source. I recently dived into the other plugin to add some functionality. And agree it is complicated but I would not say it needs a rewrite merely some cleanup would do.

This new plugin is neater and very impressive. Yet it will never support anything but the api. At least where app passwords are concerned

RE: YouTube (ALPHA 17) - schumi2004 - 2014-08-27

Was playing with several login options/actions and suddenly this error appeared in debug log:

Code:
10:34:12 T:916   ERROR: C:\Users\htpc\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.bromix.youtube\youtube\requests\packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py:730: InsecureRequestWarning: Unverified HTTPS request is being made. Adding certificate verification is strongly advised. See: https://urllib3.readthedocs.org/en/latest/security.html (This warning will only appear once by default.)
                                              InsecureRequestWarning)

RE: YouTube (ALPHA 17) - woodside - 2014-08-28

(2014-08-27, 10:36)schumi2004 Wrote: Was playing with several login options/actions and suddenly this error appeared in debug log:

Code:
10:34:12 T:916   ERROR: C:\Users\htpc\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.bromix.youtube\youtube\requests\packages\urllib3\connectionpool.py:730: InsecureRequestWarning: Unverified HTTPS request is being made. Adding certificate verification is strongly advised. See: https://urllib3.readthedocs.org/en/latest/security.html (This warning will only appear once by default.)
                                              InsecureRequestWarning)

+1

RE: YouTube (ALPHA 17) - Raitsa - 2014-08-28

bromix, sorting search results by duration etc would be a warmly welcomed addition.

RE: YouTube (ALPHA 17) - bromix - 2014-08-31

(2014-08-10, 01:15)arithine Wrote: This just keeps getting better and better, the only recommendation I have is a way to view "saved playlists" that way if I find a playlist I want to come back to while on another device I can quickly continue without having to do a search for it.
I've looked into it but the API of google is missing this feature!?! I tested it on my phone and on the web. This feature exists since feb. this year. So I hope they will update the API to support this great feature. I create an issue (Feature) for this. Thanks for you feedback.

(2014-08-10, 01:17)nickr Wrote: Being able to delete searches from the saved searches list would be good. I have some misspelled ones that are annoying me.
Comes with alpha 18

(2014-08-10, 11:13)MediaPi Wrote: dead on midnight bromix. Smile

thankyou for the update. You wont be able to do anything for this till you come back but on my linux machine theres something weird going on.

when I enter a search, xbmc shows its working then it stops and nothing happens then all of a sudden my search result is shown under "New Search" then it goes to my search. And this has added considerable delay.

If its faster to leave it like it was befre "FIX: Don't update search history before showing the search result"

can you just take the fix out and we dont compromise on speed.

can't bellieve how fast you have added features, its really amazing now. well done. and enjoy your holiday
So updating the search history first and displaying the result after that works better?

(2014-08-10, 14:14)hasselhof Wrote: Thanks for adding option to hide menu items. Works well. Enjoy your break. Thanks
No problem Wink

(2014-08-10, 16:03)mklcf Wrote: Thanks for the great addon, it's really fast!

I would like to request the following feature: an option to view playlists of a certain channel, like you could in the 'old' addon via context menu.

Also a bug perhaps: 'my subscriptions' shows no results, but 'subscriptions' further down the list does show all my channels..
With alpha 17 you can jump via context menu from a video to the channel...there you will see a directory playlists. Maybe there is a better solution for that, but I try to keep the context menu as simple as possible.

(2014-08-10, 21:15)VelvetKevorkian Wrote: I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but new uploads
(e.g. in subscriptions) are sorted only by date, not by time.

I can't reproduce this behavior. I know the "old" addon does that...it only sorts the video by day and by time is total chaos. Can you provide a screenshot?

(2014-08-13, 13:17)dkplayaclub Wrote: enable 2 step verification
2 Step verification has nothing to do with the login problem.

(2014-08-13, 13:39)rodalpho Wrote: Couple of minor feature requests.

1) Sorting. Currently all sorting options are greyed out. Would like to explicitly sort by date, as it appears many results use Youtube's sorting by rating, etc.

2) The "de facto" Youtube addon has "Youtube Suggests", which lists recommended videos under "what to watch" in the Youtube homepage. I find this useful for discovery, would love to get it back.

3) Each view only shows 50 items. Need a "next" item to show more. Particularly on the subscriptions view.

Also the options list video playback up to 1080p, but since Youtube only offers h264 streams up to 720p, they aren't available. Do you have any way to get this working (sounds like it might be impossible)?
1) The problem are the "directories" in XBMC (Kodi). 'Next Page', 'Playlists' and so on will be sorted false. The default sorting is by 'published date'. Maybe someone has an idea so solve this?
2) I look into it Wink
3) My subscriptions (New uploaded videos) in API v2 only provides a max result of 50 (the old addon also in my tests). All other results (search, playlists and so on) should work with 'Next Page'

(2014-08-13, 19:17)amikkwe Wrote: Just wanted to say thank you for your work on this addon. After months of not being able to sign in and use youtube on xbmc and trying every fix imaginable, this one is truly working for me! Great work!!! I would like to request one feature if possible, when in a playlist the ability to play all videos. Thanks again Big Grin
I put it on my todo list Smile thanks for your feedback.

(2014-08-19, 04:43)JasonPell Wrote: Any chance of purchases support?

Even if you can't play them directly, starting the playback in a chrome browser - like the netflixbmc plugin would be cool.

I look into it. I live in germany and i haven't seen this option yet. Is there an example, screenshot or some sort of?

RE: YouTube (ALPHA 17) - bromix - 2014-08-31

(2014-08-19, 19:11)Crowly Wrote: If you're not already doing so, or your solution is better Wink, this might reduce the work load/amount of code a bit: youtube-dl - multi-site playable URL resolver (if you're not already aware of its existence)
Yes I'm aware of it. But it's only for resolving the url for a given video id. Nothing more (+ the signature I already fixed in my code - nothing special).

(2014-08-22, 19:51)klikkamongo Wrote: Hi,

I downloaded the Alpha 17 version and logged in with my Google account. The problem is I can only see two menu items, "Search" and "Browse Channels". In the menu items settings all are checked as show. I have tried uncheck all items and recheck again. But still I cant see the menu items. Any idea how I can fix this?

Please view the first post. There is all described regarding problems with the login.