Kodi Community Forum
Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience? (/showthread.php?tid=202924)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience? - User 231261 - 2014-10-03

Ever heard of the OSO model?

I see this as a layered solution.
1 DSP and hardware layer
2 media transport protocol and codec layer
3 playback engine layer
4 service aggregation and presentation layer

Now xbmc/kodi in my perception is layer 4 with an ambition in layer 3. Temporarily using layer 3 from the owners of layer 1 until such time the layer 3 ambition is achieve does not seem so stupid to me.

RE: Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience? - nickr - 2014-10-03

(2014-10-03, 07:58)Willem55 Wrote: Ever heard of the OSO model?

I see this as a layered solution.
1 DSP and hardware layer
2 media transport protocol and codec layer
3 playback engine layer
4 service aggregation and presentation layer

Now xbmc/kodi in my perception is layer 4 with an ambition in layer 3. Temporarily using layer 3 from the owners of layer 1 until such time the layer 3 ambition is achieve does not seem so stupid to me.

Given your change of subject, I sniff a concession on the trademark issue LOL.

RE: Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience? - User 231261 - 2014-10-03

(2014-10-03, 07:50)nickr Wrote: 1986 University of Canterbury - and been in practice ever since.

And what you say about FOSS excluding trademark law is just bollocks. Ask Redhat.

As a lawyer you should read better. "excludes a lot of" does not equal excludes.
Redhat is not FOSS as it is not Free, but anyone can still bundle and give Redhat for free with their box... they just need to pay Redhat some royalties.

But the trademark law is irrelevant to the issue as this is about alterations to a product to serve a third parties objective which is copyright not trademark.

no concession just a chance to get back on topic.... which you should have taken

Oh yeah in your selective quoting technique you skipped the part where xbmc is used by the forkers which is not part of the whole trademark thingy..

RE: Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience? - nickr - 2014-10-03

LOL.

now I sniff a consession

RE: Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience? - Milhouse - 2014-10-03

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone has ever seen Willem55 and jacintech.fire in the same room together...

(2014-10-03, 08:15)Willem55 Wrote: now I sniff a consession

No but I do call pax - no point in it any longer, we have both made our points. PMed you too.

(2014-10-03, 08:20)Milhouse Wrote: I'm beginning to wonder if anyone has ever seen Willem55 and jacintech.fire in the same room together...

Don't be naughty...

OK pace...
Good PM thanks...

RE: Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience? - shomari - 2014-10-03

(2014-10-03, 07:22)nickr Wrote: To enlarge, a trademark is quite different to copyright. Kodi is still open source, which means anyone can take the source, modify it and release PROVIDED they provide the source code.

Period, end of story.

You get it now, bluesmanuk?

This is what I meant when I mentioned a 'philosophical notion'; that while it's a matter of law speaking in a vanilla sense, there are some that disregard the law based on 'getting the best experience for end users now' and other such cop-outs as we've seen posted in this thread. And others, such as myself, that prefer compliant distros with releases that follow the intended FOSS development course - fork, pull & merge, etc.

What's humorous is the intentionally obtuse suppositions used by some posters under the guise of 'curiosity' or devil's advocate to mask what ultimately is nothing more than anti FOSS sentiment.

Some under the guise of 'curiosity' or devil's advocate is nothing more than anti sentiment.....?

Now this is the point where a friend would advise you to take a holiday... relax... recreate..

RE: Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience? - User 182116 - 2014-10-03

(2014-10-03, 07:22)nickr Wrote: To enlarge, a trademark is quite different to copyright. Kodi is still open source, which means anyone can take the source, modify it and release PROVIDED they provide the source code.

However the trademark means that no one can market something as "kodi" without a licence form the foundation.

An example: Redhat is a commercial linux solutions provider. As it is built on the linux kernel and other open source code, people are free to change it, distribute it, etc. However they are not able to use the Redhat name. Hence CentOS - 100% compatible, uses the same source, given away free, but can't call itself Redhat.

Thank you for the clarification.

(2014-10-03, 13:59)shomari Wrote:

Period, end of story.

You get it now, bluesmanuk?

This is what I meant when I mentioned a 'philosophical notion'; that while it's a matter of law speaking in a vanilla sense, there are some that disregard the law based on 'getting the best experience for end users now' and other such cop-outs as we've seen posted in this thread. And others, such as myself, that prefer compliant distros with releases that follow the intended FOSS development course - fork, pull & merge, etc.

What's humorous is the intentionally obtuse suppositions used by some posters under the guise of 'curiosity' or devil's advocate to mask what ultimately is nothing more than anti FOSS sentiment.

You still failed to miss the key point that I mentioned but there is little point in trying to explain, so I won't.

RE: Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience? - Ned Scott - 2014-10-03

(2014-10-03, 07:26)Willem55 Wrote: Word of advice... Don't burn money on lawyers as that will cost a hundred times the money that using payed developers would cost to solve this issue.

We are represented by the Software Freedom Law Center at no cost to us.

RE: Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience? - shomari - 2014-10-03

(2014-10-03, 14:18)Willem55 Wrote: Some under the guise of 'curiosity' or devil's advocate is nothing more than anti sentiment.....?

Now this is the point where a friend would advise you to take a holiday... relax... recreate..

I'm fine. Nothing to relax about, but nice bout of projection there.

(2014-10-03, 13:59)shomari Wrote: What's humorous is the intentionally obtuse suppositions used by some posters under the guise of 'curiosity' or devil's advocate to mask what ultimately is nothing more than anti FOSS sentiment.

RE: Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience? - falonso1 - 2014-10-04

I have been using XBMC for a long time on Windows and got now an Anroid Mini PC (Rikomagic MK902 II) based on the RK3288 chip.

My main entertainement system in my living Room is a very expensive HTPC based on x86 (with best hardware for HTPC), I payed 3 years ago around 1000 Euros for the hardware. It was expensive because of the best components to that time (very silent fans and power supply etc etc.

I bought the android device to connect it to my TV in my bedroom and have some, lets say, cheap entertainement system there.

To my surprise I dont seee any difference in video and sound quality to the mutch expensive HTPC. I would say its even faster and silent as no fans are needed. but I see that there are some minor (for me important) bugs on Helix related to this Android Box (I posted it on the Android thread) .

I would suggest the XBMC developers to priorize development on Android box as this is realy a device that most people can effort due to the low price.

It seems that David wins here against goliathWink

RE: Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience? - nickr - 2014-10-04

Disagree.

Dislike android for a media PC.

By all means develop for it, but not by prioritising over development on other platforms.