Kodi Community Forum
Choppy Video in New Version - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+--- Forum: First-generation XBOX support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=158)
+--- Thread: Choppy Video in New Version (/showthread.php?tid=20358)

Pages: 1 2

- ywuw2486 - 2006-06-07

i just updated my xbmc from a t3ch version in march to today's t3ch 666 version (06/06/06). first let me say that i was very pleased to see that xbmc is now caching the icons. browsing is lightning fast now. and the mc360 skin is amazing.

however, when i go to play a movie it takes forever (30 seconds) to load (a message about odml avi and 2 superblocks appears) and when it finaly starts to play the buffer struggles to fill and never quite gets over 30%. any motion empties out and i get tons of dropped frames. if there is a scene with very little motion the system seems to recover momentarily, but then destabilizes when any motion returns.

i backgraded to the march version that i had and when i play a video file it loads instantly and the buffer goes up imediatly to 80+% and doesn't budge. playback is flawless.

i downloaded and tried a few releases from april and may. early april releases don't seem to have the problem. as soon as i move to a version that has the new icon cache feature the system has the same poor video buffer performance.

all of my movie collection is encoded using xvid and files are interleaved with the 5.1 ac3 or dts track.

i read in the "known issues.txt" file that movies that start ok and get choppy afterwards my suffer from some kind of improper interleaving, but this but was in the known issues text for the realeases that work fine, so i don't think it is an interleaving issue (that and i don't want to re process all 900 movies in my collection). the known issues txt recomends that you turn off the cache in the video osd, but that makes it worse.

i seached through the settings, and tried varous things, but nothing changes. i searched the forums but there doesn't appear to be anything related to this issue.

any ideas would be helpfull. thanks in advance.

- spiff - 2006-06-07

i would be surprised if it was related to the icon caching.

have a look at the mplayer.dll cvs history, that might give u a clue and is a much more likely cause of the problem.

for instance, you can try an old mplayer.dll with a newer xbmc.

- ywuw2486 - 2006-06-07

ok, i tried an older version of mplayer.dll from a build that i know worked, and the problem persists. i tried replacing the entire mplayer folder under the system directory, still no change. i agree that the problem itself has nothing to do with the icon caching. i guess the good news is that it doesn't appear to be a problem with mplayer itself, rather a system variable that is being passed to mplayer from xbmc.

could it have anything do do with this message:

avi:odml:building odml index (2 superindex..

it appears for almost 20 seconds before the movie plays regardless of which mplayer i copied into place.

ok, i tried something. i cleaned off the version on the box and put a fresh copy of the 666 t3ch build on the box and tried playing a file. the player resorted to the mplayer (default) player and the problem is the same, but then i tried the "play with" option under the white button and told it to go with the dvd player instead and everything was great.

aside from the simple fix which would be for me to use "dvdplayer" exclusivly from now on what else could be the problem?

edit: also dvd player doesn't alow skipping around in the file, so there must be a way to resolve the confilct that mplayer is having. would it help if i posted a sample of the video i'm using for people to try in their players?

- pike - 2006-06-07

that mediafile doesnt seem to have a valid index, thats why mplayer is attempting a rebuild. there's no way to seek in an avi file without said index

- ywuw2486 - 2006-06-07

so it builds that index every time it plays the file? or is this a problem with the way that i muxed the file? and if so why is it only manifiesting itself now?

i've been encoding, muxing, and watching like this for 2 years and it has been flawless up untill now.

i've read through the change log for the time surrounding the change and can't find anything signifigant (to video at least) that has changed between the march and may versions. may seems to be the time when it first manifested this issue.

- ywuw2486 - 2006-06-08

anyone who is using a current version of xbmc

can you please post what types of codecs and interleaving methods you are using that are working with the current version?

- ywuw2486 - 2006-06-09

heres a new development....

it isn't just my movies. the buffer colapses under quicktime trailers from apple too.

someone else has to have had this problem

i have a 1.6 box with the t3ch 666 build and mplayer 060420

please help.

- ywuw2486 - 2006-06-09

are there settings that xbmc saves in the "game save" area that would affect playback from version to version like this?

- edoyle - 2006-06-10

this is also happening to me as well. i switched from a very old software to this one. i am really nre to this i just wanted to let you know i feel the pain. if i find anything i will input some more.

ok i played around with the res as per another post. i switched it from 1080 to 720 and most seem to work. i have a show that is 1.4 gig that doesnt work. goes black like it is reading and then does nothing. if i switch player i get some sound and no video on the same file. is there any defaults i should be running? sorry if it is right in front of me but again i am new.

- ywuw2486 - 2006-06-10

my box is using the default video hookup, so i don't have the option of changing the screen res.

this is a link to a clip of the opening section batman begins.
it's encoded using xvid and then muxed using avimux 1.16.11 with the dd5.1 soundtrack.

http://67.169.253.59:81/files/sample.avi

my system chokes on this clip because of the amount of motion. but it handles it just fine with version releases before the end of april.

please download it and see if your systems handle it using any version after the begining of may.

post your results and ideas here.

- andyd - 2006-06-11

i'm having the same probs. some vids work ok and some chug so much that its unwatchable. vids play just fine on my pc and on older versions of xbmc

- Caldor - 2006-06-11

one immediate thing i see in the sample is that your toolset is ancient. your muxing tool in particular is old - avimuxgui. fixes since = happyness. same with virtualdub and your video encoder codecs.

imho opinion packed bitstream isnt necessary and may cause conflicts with some hardware players. its a strange mix of anaomorphic and resolution with the sample - i'm not sure if the eventual aspect ratio is correct to the source.

thanks for the sample i'll post test results soon

- Caldor - 2006-06-11

there is no playback problem with that sample, including smb. this is on todays cvs compile.

your problem is elsewhere - setup, bandwidth etcetc

- ywuw2486 - 2006-06-11

thank you everyone for your attention to this issue....

Quote:your problem is elsewhere - setup, bandwidth etcetc

could you elaborate on what elements of setup you think might influance playback, becasue as far as bandwidth the server has a gigabit nic on cat5e to a gigabit switch and then out cat5e to the box.

i generaly attempt to use the most default setup possible, so that there isn't alot to chage from update to update.

if the sample is playing smoothly from an smb share to your box could you post your settings?

Quote:your muxing tool in particular is old - avimuxgui. fixes since = happyness.

by this do you mean that a software update might fix this?

edit: also, why would streamed content such as apple quicktime movies suffer from this problem in this release? i tested several trailers and they all choked, and then i reloaded the box with an older version and the same trailers tested fine.

- Caldor - 2006-06-11

with setup, i have the following relevant settings:

no filters, no smoothing, no post processing. i do upscaling but in xbmc thats done in hardware at no peformance penalty. i run the default cache settings. i use hardware overlay render method but i also ran the hq pixel shader method on your sample.

with your network config your right - shouldnt be an issue unless your server is not punching through the data onto the network.

as your existing sample plys fine on my pc and xbmc - upgrading your tools wont help for this specific item but i know in particular avimuxgui had a number of fixes, as well as new trellis quantization in xvid and other goodies i think will help generally with your encodes.

if you describe your exact settings i could mimic them to see if it replicates?

however before we do that - do you know how to do a clean build? the xbmc manual has details on that. things can go south without clean builds - you will need though to reset your configuration items after deleting old setups.