Kodi Community Forum
Best Current Box - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Best Current Box (/showthread.php?tid=203891)

Pages: 1 2

Best Current Box - Nitrous - 2014-09-08

I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows on my home PC and run XBMC on there. I'm planning on getting a home theatre box for my TV to replace my ATV3.

My current thoughts after some research are Minix X8-H and Armada Mach 8. I'm open to options and thinking of capping the cost around $200 as I think that should be enough.

I know the Minix Neo Z64 is coming out but it doesn't look like it has any better specs than what is already out there.

Thoughts/opinions to point me in the right direction? Looking for something that will be worry free once setup but okay with doing some mods to it to get it there at the beginning.

Thank you

RE: Best Current Box - Ned Scott - 2014-09-08

Chromebox, NUC, Brix, ECS LIVA, or various other Celeron-based mini PCs (or miniITX builds) can be had for under $200. Some can be had for $150 or less. I would forget about any of the ARM/Android boxes and get something Celeron-based if you are in the $200 shopping bracket.

RE: Best Current Box - Nitrous - 2014-09-08

A quick look at those options they sound good. I'll have to see if I can find some good guides of what others have done. Open to spending a bit more if the increase really justifies it.

RE: Best Current Box - nmsaraujo - 2014-09-08

Well, I am also looking for some hardware, to replace my asus e-450 deluxe.

I am in doubt about NUC i3 and NUC i5....

I will use it, mostly for live tv.

Any recomendattions?

Regards.

RE: Best Current Box - noggin - 2014-09-08

For Live TV you probably want something with decent de-interlacing. I'd aim for something with a Haswell Celeron 2955U (Brix, Chromebox etc.) rather than a Baytrail Celeron (N2820 etc.) as the Haswell has higher quality de-interlacing. The new VAAPI de-interlacing builds that fritsch and fernetmenta have developed for the Intel GPUs are delivering Motion Compensated 2x hardware de-interlacing with around 20% CPU or less on each core on a Haswell 2955U Chromebox.

The Chromebox is a great little XBMC platform (particularly if you use a Bluetooth remote), and Matt Devo's script for replacing the BIOS/Firmware should you need to is very straightforward (caveats - your mileage may vary and some people have issues running the installation stuff if they aren't using standard keyboards and HDMI displays). You do have to take the box to bits to remove the "Write Protect" screw in most (all?) cases - but this is no more complex than installing RAM or an mSata/M2 drive in a barebones box like the NUC or Brix.

An i3 or i5 NUC will do a brilliant job, and allow you to do pretty much everything with software decoding, but may well be more than you need and more than you want to spend.

RE: Best Current Box - FernetMenta - 2014-09-08

Don't forget to mention Zotac Zbox CI520 (Intel i3) which is fanless.

RE: Best Current Box - c0mm0n - 2014-09-08

The Zotac ZBOX CI320 nano should be enough. Slightly more powerful than the Chromebox according to cpubenchs, fanless, cheap...

RE: Best Current Box - noggin - 2014-09-08

(2014-09-08, 12:06)c0mm0n Wrote: The Zotac ZBOX CI320 nano should be enough. Slightly more powerful than the Chromebox according to cpubenchs, fanless, cheap...

Though the CI320 is based on a Baytrail Celeron N2930 rather than the Haswell Celeron 2955U in the Chromebox so has the weaker GPU (based on Sandy/IvyBridge) with only 4 EUs, compared to the 10EUs in the Haswell GPU in the 2955U. AIUI this can have an impact on scaling quality if you watch SD content.

The N2930 is likely also to max out with Motion Adaptive hardware deinterlacing rather than the Motion Compensated deinterlacing that the Haswell chips have - which is a factor if you watch 1080i Live TV (though not if your HD Live TV is 720p) when the new VAAPI hardware de-interlacing builds start appearing. (I'm running with MCDI on my 2955U and love it. Neither CPU core goes much over 20%) For many people Motion Adaptive may be more than good enough though.

The Baytrails are a great solution if you are predominantly watching 1080p or 720p content - but the Haswell may be a better bet if you watch interlaced content and/or SD stuff and are a stickler for picture quality.

RE: Best Current Box - FernetMenta - 2014-09-08

Those 4EU GPUs have a problem with high quality upscaling too.

RE: Best Current Box - c0mm0n - 2014-09-08

Oops sorry, thanks noggin for putting it right.

I've joined the MCDI thanks to your tips, very impressive performance...

RE: Best Current Box - fritsch - 2014-09-08

As of now: there is only madi for bt, mcdi is not even advertized by the driver.

RE: Best Current Box - vrienduinen - 2014-09-08

I am considering a ZBOX BI320 with a 2957U Haswell
2957U supports Wireless Display (WiDi) as well as Quick Sync
Available barebones for $120 or with Windows 8.1, 2GB of RAM, and 64GB SSD for $220

RE: Best Current Box - Nitrous - 2014-09-09

Doing some research it looks like Asus Chromebox would be a great option with OpenELEC.

A few questions though:
- Are there good airmouse options out there? Looking for something ideally the size of a normal controller with a full keyboard on the back and regular air mouse functionality? Will want the mouse to be able to boot the device and put it in sleep mode like a normal controller.
- I would have thought it would have spdif output for audio. If HDMI runs to the TV for optical output what are you doing for audio? 3.5mm jack into RCA cables running to receiver audio input? (seems like a bad option)
- Will be used for XBMC (with addons like 1channel, icefilms and mashup, live tv) and streaming from local NAS. Will a Celeron processor be enough or will I need an i3? I'd rather get what I need from the beginning than have regrets of only getting the Celeron version.

Or would a NUC be a better option for what I want?

Thanks everyone for all of the replies! Very helpful with pointing me in the right direction

RE: Best Current Box - noggin - 2014-09-09

(2014-09-09, 07:39)Nitrous Wrote: - I would have thought it would have spdif output for audio. If HDMI runs to the TV for optical output what are you doing for audio? 3.5mm jack into RCA cables running to receiver audio input? (seems like a bad option)

A lot of us have migrated to HDMI amps, particularly those of us who want HD Audio (DTS HD, Dolby True HD) bitstreamed over HDMI from our HTPCs and Blu-ray players. I only have one Toslink source in my home setup (a Sky HD satellite receiver that only outputs 2.0 PCM over HDMI, and requires the Toslink output to be used for Dolby 5.1) - everything else is HDMI (Blu-ray, HTPC, Games consoles etc.)

There are various options for audio if your amp doesn't support HDMI. You can get some third party splitters that will derive a Toslin feed from an HDMI output (though these may only work reliably with 2.0 PCM audio and not give you 5.1 Dolby/DTS) or you can use an external USB sound device with Toslink output (which is likely to be fine with DD/DTS). I think the latter is usually a better option - but is "another box" to worry about. Many external USB audio chipsets have Linux support.

RE: Best Current Box - Stereodude - 2014-09-09

(2014-09-09, 07:39)Nitrous Wrote: - I would have thought it would have spdif output for audio. If HDMI runs to the TV for optical output what are you doing for audio? 3.5mm jack into RCA cables running to receiver audio input? (seems like a bad option)
I bought a USB to SPDIF converter on ebay. It uses a CM6631A chip which is an Asynchronous USB audio device (low jitter) that supports up to 32-bit 192kHz playback. It worked with OpenELEC without any fussing.