Kodi Community Forum
Feature Request: Ability to Turn off Sorting for UPnP/DLNA sources - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Feature Request: Ability to Turn off Sorting for UPnP/DLNA sources (/showthread.php?tid=204103)

Feature Request: Ability to Turn off Sorting for UPnP/DLNA sources - smitbret - 2014-09-11

I have my library organized and served across my network via a UPnP/DLNA server (In this case, Mezzmo). When I pull up the playlists from the server, XBMC reorders them based on choices like Title, Duration, Rating, MPAA Rating, etc. If the lists are already sorted from the server, this often messes the predetermined order up.

For instance, The Dark Knight Collection (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises). I have them sorted as a set on my UPnP server via <sorttitle> as
Batman Begins <DarkKnightCollection01>
The Dark Knight <DarkKnightCollection02>
The Dark Knight Rises <DarkKnightCollection03>

So, they should show up as a set in the order in the Ds for Dark Knight.

Because of the size of my library I like to have Rolodex style setup where each movie is automatically placed into their respective folder according to the first letter of its <sorttitle>, so all three of the Dark Knight Movies appear in the 'D' folder as a set, in order, from Batman Begins to The Dark Knight Rises. But XBMC insists on re-sorting them according to their title so I end up with this in the D folder:

Batman Begins
Dallas Buyer's Club
Daredevil
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
etc.

Die Hard is another good Example. I would like them all to show up in the D folder in order under the DieHardCollection flag:

Die Hard <DieHard01>
Die Hard 2 <DieHard02>
Die Hard With a Vengeance <DieHard03>
Live Free or Die Hard <DieHard04>
A Good Day to Die Hard <DieHard05>

But what I end up with is:

Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Die Hard With a Vengeance
Dinner With Schmucks
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
etc.
etc.
Due Date
Dumb & Dumber
A Good Day to Die Hard (I am ignoring A, An, The)
Live Free or Die Hard

It would be incredible if we could have the ability to just shut the sorting off for UPnP in the Settings or with the choice of "None" in the View Options to go along with Title, Duration, Rating, MPAA Rating, Date Added, Play Count, Year

Thanks.

RE: Feature Request: Ability to Turn off Sorting for UPnP/DLNA sources - Fice - 2014-09-11

The real issue seems to be that kodi doesn't send the sorttitle via upnp. Sending that and using it when sorting by title, would fix the issue as well, right?

RE: Feature Request: Ability to Turn off Sorting for UPnP/DLNA sources - smitbret - 2014-09-11

(2014-09-11, 15:48)Fice Wrote: The real issue seems to be that kodi doesn't send the sorttitle via upnp. Sending that and using it when sorting by title, would fix the issue as well, right?

No, it's the opposite.

I use Kodi to playback from the UPNP library created by my server software (Mezzmo). Mezzmo already has the library(s) created, sorted and ordered. When I go to playback, Kodi re-sorts them via whatever selection has been set in View Options, often completely changing the order and nuking the specific arrangement in the first place.

In this case, Kodi is being too smart. If Kodi could dumb it down and just simply parrot the library as sent by Mezzmo (or Plex, Serviio, Tversity, Townky or any other UPnP server software) then that would be great. Just a simple View Option that turns off Kodi's sorting would fix it.

RE: Feature Request: Ability to Turn off Sorting for UPnP/DLNA sources - Ned Scott - 2014-09-12

This sounds like a reasonable request, but I'm scratching my head as to why you would want to use Mezzmo to feed Kodi rather than using Kodi's internal library system.

RE: Feature Request: Ability to Turn off Sorting for UPnP/DLNA sources - smitbret - 2014-09-12

(2014-09-12, 04:13)Ned Scott Wrote: This sounds like a reasonable request, but I'm scratching my head as to why you would want to use Mezzmo to feed Kodi rather than using Kodi's internal library system.

Kodi's system is pretty good, but using Mezzmo on the server allows me to use a centralized system and a consistent library experience on all of my devices in the home. Additionally, Mezzmo's Playlist creation and filtering can do things that I wouldn't expect Kodi to be able to do. I can also control playlist permissions and do things like parental filtering for different locations and devices. Basically I want/need to do things that Kodi doesn't.

Kodi on my HTPCs is so good, that I wouldn't dream of asking it to perform dual duty as a library organizer. It could read DLNA/UPnP metadata a little better and, of course, the sorting issue, but otherwise.... it's nearly perfect.

RE: Feature Request: Ability to Turn off Sorting for UPnP/DLNA sources - jbinkley60 - 2015-10-09

(2014-09-12, 04:27)smitbret Wrote:
(2014-09-12, 04:13)Ned Scott Wrote: This sounds like a reasonable request, but I'm scratching my head as to why you would want to use Mezzmo to feed Kodi rather than using Kodi's internal library system.

Kodi's system is pretty good, but using Mezzmo on the server allows me to use a centralized system and a consistent library experience on all of my devices in the home. Additionally, Mezzmo's Playlist creation and filtering can do things that I wouldn't expect Kodi to be able to do. I can also control playlist permissions and do things like parental filtering for different locations and devices. Basically I want/need to do things that Kodi doesn't.

Kodi on my HTPCs is so good, that I wouldn't dream of asking it to perform dual duty as a library organizer. It could read DLNA/UPnP metadata a little better and, of course, the sorting issue, but otherwise.... it's nearly perfect.

I am somewhat new to Kodi and have the exact same configuration and want to disable Kodi sorting for uPNP for the same reasons. Mezzmo does a spectacular job of managing the videos, indexing, sorting etc. and likewise I want to publish once via Mezzmo and then have various clients all have the same experience. I've searched the Internet and haven't been able to find anything where I could turn off Kodi sorting when accessing a uPNP services or just disabling it altogether, since everything comes from Mezzmo. Is there a solution to this ? I am running Kodi 15.2 RC2.

RE: Feature Request: Ability to Turn off Sorting for UPnP/DLNA sources - smitbret - 2015-10-19

Who do I need to pay and how much for this?

RE: Feature Request: Ability to Turn off Sorting for UPnP/DLNA sources - jbinkley60 - 2015-10-23

Indeed. Where do we send the checks and for how mucb ?

RE: Feature Request: Ability to Turn off Sorting for UPnP/DLNA sources - Dion250 - 2016-05-12

Why has this not been added. Kodi is such a good player but its UPnP is really bad.

It can't resume from UPnP and needs sorting disable as the UPnP server provides all the sorting.

RE: Feature Request: Ability to Turn off Sorting for UPnP/DLNA sources - jbinkley60 - 2016-06-25

To update this topic some of us pushed the Mezzmo folks to write a Kodi uPNP addon which solves the default sort issue, ability to resume (including across clients), full metadata availability and much more. It pretty much makes Kodi the perfect uPNP client now. See http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread.php/8813-Mezzmo-for-Kodi-Add-on-released

RE: Feature Request: Ability to Turn off Sorting for UPnP/DLNA sources - atc98092 - 2018-08-30

This is an older thread, but the original post still describes the issue I am having. I'm not using Kodi as my DLNA library source, as I have had Serviio in use for many years and it does everything I need. Also, my Kodi installation is on a 16GB Nvidia Shield, and there's no practical way for me to connect the half dozen hard drives that contain my media. Since some of my other players (such as Roku boxes) require transcoding for some files, I need the power of a PC. 

I have two categories of media lists that need to have Kodi leave them in the order sent by the server. One is the Recently Added. The most recent added file should be listed first. The other is playlists. I have playlists in both .pls and .m3u format, and the files listed are in an order I desire, not by name or year released or any other typical sort. Since my DLNA server already sends all other lists in alphabetical order, I have no need for any sort function within Kodi.

I'm using 18 beta, and other than this little issue I am having no issues at all, and it provides a great viewing experience on my Shield. While I'm new to Kodi, I have been streaming home media for close to 8 years, and have worked with computers and programming for over 20. I hope I can offer support to others as my knowledge and experience with Kodi grows.

RE: Feature Request: Ability to Turn off Sorting for UPnP/DLNA sources - jbinkley60 - 2019-03-22

I run Mezzmo as my server and it has the ability to presort any way I want and for endpoint which do crazy things like forced alpabetical sorting and similar it offer the ability to insert things into the naming structure to bypass the sorting.  For instance recently added I have Mezzmo sort in descending date / time added to the database which puts the newest at the top.  I use an insert macro of %filenumber% which then sends the name to Kodi as  001 - Newest movie , 002 - Next newest movie etc...  and so Kodi maintains them in order since they start with 001, 002 etc..  I son't know if Serviio has similar capabilities.