Kodi Community Forum
Dolby atmos - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Dolby atmos (/showthread.php?tid=204687)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Dolby atmos - DAlba - 2015-01-07

Thanks for your help. Still can't get to to passthrough dolby atmos. Tried media portal too and I have Lav Audio 0.63.0.

I really hope the developers of Kodi release true dolby atmos support soon.

RE: Dolby atmos - Anssi - 2015-01-07

@DAlba, just to check, you tested the same video file with Kodi and the external media player, and it works with the external media player but not with Kodi?

If so, can you provide a clip of the media file or its name? You can private message me it.

I have MKV blu-ray rips of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers Age of Extinction, and Expendables 3 but unfortunately they are too large to send. Not sure how to do just a clip. I suppose we can try an Atmos trailer from here: http://www.demo-world.eu/download-2d-trailers-crf/?file=hd_dolby_atmos_amaze_lossless-DWEU.m2ts&pic=hd_dolby_atmos_amaze.jpg

When played from my Dune Smart D1 media player my Denon receiver shows Dolby Atmos on it's display and I get ceiling speaker sounds.
When played in Gotham I got no sound at all
When played in Kodi I get sound but receiver only shows as True HD and no sound from ceiling speakers.

I am going to try the atmos trailer MTS file from demo-world and I will report back.

Just confirmed the same happens with atmos trailer from demo-world.

RE: Dolby atmos - Anssi - 2015-01-08

OK, thanks, I'll see if I can investigate if there is a difference between the bitstreaming of Kodi and my blu-ray player with the demo-world sample.

RE: Dolby atmos - DAlba - 2015-01-09

I'm not sure what I did but now I'm getting Atmos from both Kodi and MediaPortal. Guess it was user error beforeSmile

RE: Dolby atmos - dwalme - 2015-01-09

At least we are all getting consistent results now. Thank you for posting back.

RE: Dolby atmos - MadScientist - 2015-01-09

Great stuff. Let's hope DTS-X just works as well (when the hardware materialises).

RE: Dolby atmos - Batiatus - 2015-01-09

So Kodi is outputting Atmos? Excellent! Now we just need a way to flag files that are Atmos tracks. I don't mind having to use naming tags to do this. Where do we ask to have this implemented?

RE: Dolby atmos - jjd-uk - 2015-01-09

I still believe we are missing a proper parser in ffmpeg to be able to properly identify these streams, as currently they are identified as TrueHD within Kodi.

RE: Dolby atmos - Batiatus - 2015-01-09

(2015-01-09, 20:50)jjd-uk Wrote: I still believe we are missing a proper parser in ffmpeg to be able to properly identify these streams, as currently they are identified as TrueHD within Kodi.

I get that. So in the mean time (and in between time) we could use a naming tag similar to those used to identify DVD or Blu-ray when naming the file that will flag the audio format at Dolby Atmos.None of my Blu-rays geta blu-ray icon without me adding Blu-ray to the file and folder name. I don't mind adding Atmos to that convention. so far it's only 3 movies I have anyways.

RE: Dolby atmos - baldrick - 2015-01-16

Can confirm Atmos now is working from nightly Kodi Smile

But I do get an 1/10 sec dropout every 90 sec, don't know if it's related to Atmos or not

Edit: have checked and the dropout only happens on Atmos materials.

RE: Dolby atmos - C.Taylor - 2015-01-21

This might be a "you already know the answer" question but.... Atmos is always going to be built on a 7.1 bed, correct? Not a 5.1 or any other number of channels, regardless the home set-up you might have?

I'm asking because I've been working to include Atmos audio codec labels into a modded skin and I'm thinking of using just an atmos logo rather than a logo with number of channels listed. If they are all 7.1 it's more about the 3D sound field than number of channels. I think?

RE: Dolby atmos - sialivi - 2015-01-21

(2015-01-21, 05:53)C.Taylor Wrote: This might be a "you already know the answer" question but.... Atmos is always going to be built on a 7.1 bed, correct? Not a 5.1 or any other number of channels, regardless the home set-up you might have?

I'm asking because I've been working to include Atmos audio codec labels into a modded skin and I'm thinking of using just an atmos logo rather than a logo with number of channels listed. If they are all 7.1 it's more about the 3D sound field than number of channels. I think?

There is no such thing as a 5.1 or 7.1 Atmos track. Atmos is object based, not channel based. It's mixed in realtime to however many speakers you happen to have.

RE: Dolby atmos - C.Taylor - 2015-01-21

(2015-01-21, 07:33)sialivi Wrote:
(2015-01-21, 05:53)C.Taylor Wrote: This might be a "you already know the answer" question but.... Atmos is always going to be built on a 7.1 bed, correct? Not a 5.1 or any other number of channels, regardless the home set-up you might have?

There is no such thing as a 5.1 or 7.1 Atmos track. Atmos is object based, not channel based. It's mixed in realtime to however many speakers you happen to have.

I know, but (so far) Atmos enabled Blu-rays are TrueHD 7.1 beds and show as that unless you are using Atmos enabled gear. So my question is do those who are into Atmos think a stricktly Atmos icon is better than an Atmos 7.1 icon? I think the former, just seeing what others think.