Kodi Community Forum
Dolby atmos - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Dolby atmos (/showthread.php?tid=204687)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Dolby atmos - dwalme - 2014-12-29

Yes. According to his post here. Someone asked if Atmos was discarded when bitstreaming and he said Atmos is only discarded when decoding. However it is passed when bitstreaming.

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1695746&postcount=18158

RE: Dolby atmos - jjd-uk - 2014-12-30

Interesting, I don't see anything specific about ATMOS added in the commit history for LAV filters on github, so I'm wondering if we unknowingly have ATMOS bitstreaming capability via one of the recent ffmpeg updates (which LAV filters would also have).

When you see ATMOS lit on AVR is there anyway of telling what exactly you are getting? as no one on the Team has any ATMOS capable kit to do testing.

RE: Dolby atmos - dwalme - 2014-12-30

(2014-12-30, 01:27)jjd-uk Wrote: Interesting, I don't see anything specific about ATMOS added in the commit history for LAV filters on github, so I'm wondering if we unknowingly have ATMOS bitstreaming capability via one of the recent ffmpeg updates (which LAV filters would also have).

When you see ATMOS lit on AVR is there anyway of telling what exactly you are getting? as no one on the Team has any ATMOS capable kit to do testing.

I tested with both my HTPC running Fedora 21 with Kodi v14 and my Lenovo Windows laptop with built-in Intel graphics with MPC-HC & LAV. I only played with this for a few minutes before I had to do something else. Both setups my AVR shows Atmos/TrueHD as the audio stream with Transformers 4. When playing a regular TrueHD movie the avr only shows TrueHD.

I don't have enough experience with Atmos yet to determine the difference between the TrueHD core and Atmos extensions. My AVR is required to be in Dolby Surround mode in order to decode Atmos. So even if it is only getting the TrueHD stream Dolby Surround will use all speakers just like Atmos would. Only difference is the AVR will show Atmos on the display when decoding Atmos.

RE: Dolby atmos - dwalme - 2014-12-30

Ok I tested it a bit more. For both Kodi and Lav there is the same audio coming through the heights speakers and my AVR is reporting my 5.1.2 audio setup correctly.

What I do not know is if Dolby Surround is putting the audio in the height speakers or if it is the Atmos extension. There isn't much audio there. At this point I'd believe either way. There has to be a way to get a more definitive answer.

I need a standard blu-ray player in order to test. I've never needed one. I might just pick one up to do a quick comparison.

RE: Dolby atmos - tjf21 - 2014-12-30

I have just tested Kodi Helix - Dolby Atmos pass through works. Windows 8.1, AMD HDMI and Denon X5200W.

Tomas

Hmm this is very strange as I've been assured by one of the audio devs that true Atmos passthrough is not possible, are you guys sure it's not just the TrueHD portion with the Atmos flagging still intact? Not how you would test unless there is someone with a full Atmos setup with all necessary speakers and blu-ray player to compare against.

RE: Dolby atmos - Batiatus - 2014-12-30

Sounds like Atmos is making some headway. Now my question from before.... is there a way to flag Atmos movies either through header metadata or by some naming convention? Reason being I'd like to first have all (3, so far) Atmos movies show Atmos audio format icons as well as be able to create a playlist for only Atmos movies.

I've been looking but so far not found an real info on this.

Those saying Atmos is lit on their AVR's I'd be interested in seeing Debug Logs of you playing stuff to try and understand what's going on.

(2014-12-30, 15:27)Batiatus Wrote: Sounds like Atmos is making some headway. Now my question from before.... is there a way to flag Atmos movies either through header metadata or by some naming convention? Reason being I'd like to first have all (3, so far) Atmos movies show Atmos audio format icons as well as be able to create a playlist for only Atmos movies.

Media flagging is dependent on ffmpeg recognising the Atmos stream.

RE: Dolby atmos - dwalme - 2014-12-31

(2014-12-30, 15:29)jjd-uk Wrote: Those saying Atmos is lit on their AVR's I'd be interested in seeing Debug Logs of you playing stuff to try and understand what's going on.

Just let me know what you need. I am willing to help. I should be able to do some more testing in a couple days.

I bought a standard Blu-ray player that can bitstream TrueHD (which should include TrueHD extensions such as Atmos). It will be here tomorrow night.

I can compare exact parts in Transformers 4 and Expendables 3 to determine if streaming Atmos from the standalone player is equal or greater to what is coming out of Kodi and Lav.

RE: Dolby atmos - Batiatus - 2014-12-31

(2014-12-30, 15:32)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2014-12-30, 15:27)Batiatus Wrote: Sounds like Atmos is making some headway. Now my question from before.... is there a way to flag Atmos movies either through header metadata or by some naming convention? Reason being I'd like to first have all (3, so far) Atmos movies show Atmos audio format icons as well as be able to create a playlist for only Atmos movies.

Media flagging is dependent on ffmpeg recognising the Atmos stream.

Could it not also be done by naming convention in the file name? That's how Kodi knows my file is a DVD, Blu-ray or 3D Blu-ray. It's all in the file name. I could have Transformers Age of Extinction Bluray 3DBD Atmos (2014).mkv or something.

RE: Dolby atmos - dwalme - 2014-12-31

(2014-12-31, 04:32)Batiatus Wrote: Could it not also be done by naming convention in the file name? That's how Kodi knows my file is a DVD, Blu-ray or 3D Blu-ray. It's all in the file name. I could have Transformers Age of Extinction Bluray 3DBD Atmos (2014).mkv or something.

I'd hate to rely on that. Simply because humans make mistakes. It's much better to pull that data from the files themselves.

RE: Dolby atmos - Batiatus - 2014-12-31

(2014-12-31, 05:25)dwalme Wrote:
(2014-12-31, 04:32)Batiatus Wrote: Could it not also be done by naming convention in the file name? That's how Kodi knows my file is a DVD, Blu-ray or 3D Blu-ray. It's all in the file name. I could have Transformers Age of Extinction Bluray 3DBD Atmos (2014).mkv or something.

I'd hate to rely on that. Simply because humans make mistakes. It's much better to pull that data from the files themselves.

For sure, but are we at that point yet?

Thus far there's no data that denotes if a file is 3D yet. Sad that a cheapo blu-ray player can display frame pakced 3D and stream Dolby Atmos but my $1000 specifically built HTPC can't do either. Sad

RE: Dolby atmos - tjf21 - 2014-12-31

(2014-12-30, 15:25)jjd-uk Wrote: Hmm this is very strange as I've been assured by one of the audio devs that true Atmos passthrough is not possible, are you guys sure it's not just the TrueHD portion with the Atmos flagging still intact? Not how you would test unless there is someone with a full Atmos setup with all necessary speakers and blu-ray player to compare against.

Yes, I am getting definitely full Dolby Atmos out of my receivers - the best indicators are downloadable Dolby Atmos trailers here: http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/

I can switch DD TrueHD vs Dolby Atmos decoding on my receiver (on the fly) and the former sounds flatter while Atmos clearly adds the height dimension to the sound.

RE: Dolby atmos - tjf21 - 2014-12-31

And link to logs: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=388274