Kodi Community Forum
WIP IMVDb Music Video Scraper - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Scrapers (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Thread: WIP IMVDb Music Video Scraper (/showthread.php?tid=205755)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

IMVDb Music Video Scraper - tphoenix - 2014-10-04

IMVDb Music Video Scraper

Current version: 0.6

Scrapes: Artist, Title, Year, Director/s, Thumbnail, Studio, Genre/s, Tag/s, Album (as Artist).

v0.6 (2015-01-16)
- Changed album name to be scraped from artist name instead of track title. This allows for all music videos by an artist to be viewed at once.

v0.5 (2015-01-13)
- Changed source of info back to the API (found a way to get more information out of it).
- Removed support for Genres and Tags (these are not available in the API).
- Added Album data (which is just the song title again).
- Known issues: Possible issue when scraping thumbs that have an accented character in the URL.

v0.4 (2015-01-11)
- Changed source of info to the main site, as there is limited information on the API.
- Added support for Studio (scraped from Production Company).
- Also added Genre and Tag support.

v0.3 (2014-10-09)
- Added ability to scrape thumbnail.

v0.2 (2014-10-09)
- Added ability to scrape director/s.

v0.1 (2014-10-04)
- Beta release: Currently scrapes artist, title, and release year.
I recently stumbled across The Internet Music Video Database, or IMVDb, when looking for some music videos to watch. It seems like a great source of information for music videos in XBMC, so I decided to start putting together a scraper for it. I've only dabbled in bits and pieces of coding before so any help or advice is appreciated.

(2014-10-04, 15:46)tphoenix Wrote: Currently this scraper only retrieves artist, track and year information. I wasn't sure what else to include, or what else can be displayed by XBMC. Some videos have a director listed, or other production companies, and every video seems to have thumbs. Should the scraper also be pulling this information?

I have been testing this with all of my video files in one folder, and your music video files do not have to be in the 'artist - track' naming format. I have been able to scrape videos using their YouTube names (e.g. "David Guetta - Play Hard ft. Ne-Yo, Akon (Official Video)" or "Ariana Grande feat. Big Sean - Right There"). The only video I'm having trouble with at the moment (I haven't tried a huge range though) is "Jessie J, Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj - Bang Bang". Maybe the commas are effecting it? (this now works) The only change the scraper makes to file names at the moment is to replace - and ! with spaces. The - is treated as a minus (excluding search terms) and the ! ends the search string (or something like that. I'm not entirely sure) (the scraper replaces commas, dashes, exclamation marks, and spaces, with %20)

For the most part the scraper is working. If anyone wants to try it out and give me some feedback I would really appreciate it. You can get v0.1 here v0.3 v0.4 here.

Special thanks to pko66 for his how-to on writing media scrapers, budswell for his MMA scraper (I used it as an example/for comparison), UsagiYojimbo for his java tool ScraperEdit, and the folks over at IMVDb.

RE: IMVDb Music Video Scraper - zag - 2014-10-06

Nice! was meaning to suggest this earlier.

Take a look at theaudiodb mvid scraper for references. It should be very similar as they both have a json api.

That scraper returns either a video screenshot, or the album cover as the image.

Also I started collecting the imvdb id's on TADB for the future. Not sure how much use it will be.

I know from working on previous scrapers that removing the ft. and feat. is sometimes useful but if its working without this manipulation then great Smile

Can you get it up on github?

RE: IMVDb Music Video Scraper - tphoenix - 2014-10-09

I went ahead and put it up on github. I haven't used the site before, so hopefully I did it right. Here's the link: https://github.com/tphoenix/imvdb-scraper

I have updated the scraper to version 0.2, adding the ability to scrape director information if available.

I'll have a look into adding thumb support as well.

EDIT: I have thumb support! Updated on github to v0.3.

Now the only concern I have is the way it grabs the director info. Currently it will just grab anyone listed as working on the video under entity_name (this may not always be a director). I haven't seen anything other than a director so far though, but if you do see someone being scraped by mistake let me know.

RE: IMVDb Music Video Scraper - zag - 2014-10-09

Nice one, will try to give it a test this weekend.

I've only ever used:

directors[0]->entity_name

for the director and it seems to work

RE: IMVDb Music Video Scraper - zag - 2014-10-09

Also just a small thing, but could you add this forum thread url and github source url into the addon.xml file?

RE: IMVDb Music Video Scraper - tphoenix - 2014-10-09

I've added the links to the addon.xml file.

Here's part of the music video info page. The scraper looks for entity_name when scraping director info, and I turned on the repeat flag for videos like this one with multiple directors.

Code:
"directors": [
        {
            "position_name": "Director",
            "position_code": "dir",
            "entity_name": "Grady Hall",
            "entity_slug": "grady-hall",
            "entity_id": 59838,
            "position_notes": "",
            "position_id": 59838,
            "entity_url": "http:\/\/imvdb.com\/n\/grady-hall"
        },
        {
            "position_name": "Director",
            "position_code": "dir",
            "entity_name": "Mark Kudsi",
            "entity_slug": "mark-kudsi",
            "entity_id": 59839,
            "position_notes": "",
            "position_id": 59839,
            "entity_url": "http:\/\/imvdb.com\/n\/mark-kudsi"
        }
    ],

Now, if a different position is listed under this it will also get picked up (I assume it will follow the same format but with a different position code), however as I said I haven't seen any as yet.

Now that it scrapes Artist, Title, Year, Director/s and thumbnail, is there anything else that would be good to scrape? The only other info I can see available that might be good is this:
Code:
"release_date_string": "September 5, 2013"

Is that any different/worth having as well as Year?

Thanks for your feedback again, appreciate it.

RE: IMVDb Music Video Scraper - zag - 2014-10-12

Just gave this a test on my complete music video library.

Works well, but I get a lot of duplicate entries when a song is not found, it seems to match the first one of that artist.

RE: IMVDb Music Video Scraper - tphoenix - 2014-10-13

Hmm, I didn't think of that.

If the music video isn't listed on imvdb.com then it must just grab the closest thing (first one from the artist).

I'm guessing there is no possible workaround just using imvdb as the source. Ideally their database would be quite complete, however as open as theaudiodb.com is it may be the better option in this instance.

Hmm...

RE: IMVDb Music Video Scraper - WhiteSpy - 2014-10-13

How do you install or use this scraper?

RE: IMVDb Music Video Scraper - tphoenix - 2014-10-14

If you go here: https://github.com/tphoenix/imvdb-scraper on the right hand side will be a button that says Download ZIP.

Download the zip file, extract it somewhere, copy the folder metadata.musicvideos.imvdb to your XBMC addons folder and restart XBMC. When you add/edit your music video source folder you should be able to choose the IMVDb scraper.

As zag pointed out though, if the music video you are trying to scrape is not listed on the imvdb site then it will not work properly.

RE: IMVDb Music Video Scraper - phil65 - 2014-10-14

Perhaps you could try to extract a clean version of the song title from the filename and compare it with the scraped title to see if it is a proper match.

RE: IMVDb Music Video Scraper - hhtitan72 - 2015-01-07

Thank you for creating this add-on it works really well. However, I recently stumbled upon a problem it doesn't seem to display letters with accents correctly as your presented with a bunch of letters and numbers where the accent should be. As an example the actual track title should be Fierté but your presented with this instead http://i.imgur.com/i7c0DNa.jpg?1

RE: IMVDb Music Video Scraper - Jeroen - 2015-01-09

(2014-10-04, 15:46)tphoenix Wrote: Currently this scraper only retrieves artist, track and year information. I wasn't sure what else to include, or what else can be displayed by XBMC. Some videos have a director listed, or other production companies, and every video seems to have thumbs. Should the scraper also be pulling this information?
It would be great if the scraper could also fetch that additional information. Way back XBMC's music video scrapers pulled this information in at least. It was never really complete, but IMVDb looks promising.

As does your scraper. Best results I have had with music video scrapers in a long time, really nice job!

From a skin perspective, the infolabels available for music videos are:

ListItem.Artist
ListItem.Album
ListItem.Title
ListItem.Studio (this could be used for the record label)
ListItem.Date
ListItem.Duration
ListItem.Writer (could be used for composer if that's available in on IMVDb)
ListItem.Director
ListItem.Plot / LisiItem.PlotOutline (could be used for biography)

I think that's all of them. And most of the above but like:

VideoPlayer.Album (to show the info on the video osd)

Furthermore I experienced the same problem as hhtitan72 with special characters. Instead of the artist name "Sigur Rós" it displays "Sigur R\U00F3S" for me.

Keep it up Smile

RE: IMVDb Music Video Scraper - LongMan - 2015-01-10

@Jeroen

Does ListItem.Date actually work? I have not been able to get it to show the date. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

RE: IMVDb Music Video Scraper - Jeroen - 2015-01-11

(2015-01-10, 22:49)LongMan Wrote: @Jeroen

Does ListItem.Date actually work? I have not been able to get it to show the date. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Yeah, should work. At least it does with tv episodes for example. I don't see why it wouldn't work with music videos, although it is up to the scraper to get the dates and "assign" it to the infolabel.