Kodi Community Forum
QUARTZ - Gotham - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Quartz (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=141)
+---- Thread: QUARTZ - Gotham (/showthread.php?tid=206346)

- Simian - 2011-06-08

If you're still interested in feature requests...

It would be nice if the XBMC logo displayed on the home screen could be a per-item image. i.e. When Movies is selected, it could be "XBMC" with a film reel or cine camera, or whatever.

As creating this sort of thing is difficult and time consuming (well I find it is), perhaps just the ability to have a custom image or overlay per item would be useful.

I know Quartz is meant to be a simple skin, but I think a little bit of extra decoration on the home screen would add to it's look and usability (at least for my pre-school kids...)

Cheers,

Simon.

- pecinko - 2011-06-08

Simian Wrote:I know Quartz is meant to be a simple skin, but I think a little bit of extra decoration on the home screen would add to it's look and usability (at least for my pre-school kids...)

Cool, I'm always interested in this kind of suggestions.

Making suitable graphics could be a little challenging for me, though :-)

- pecinko - 2011-06-08

sceaga Wrote:I prefer the 2nd glossy button style.

I'm glad we have an agreement here :-)) 2:2 if I'm counting correctly. It looks like we need a third one :-)

- pecinko - 2011-06-08

Shoesy Wrote:I guess the first step is to get a section in the skin specific forum - to that end please go add your support to this thread-

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=812831#post812831

TBH - most of the discussion in this thread shouldnt really be had in this way as this is the developers section, so it would be really great to get a proper place to chat about Quartz and everyone's own ways of modding this great flexible skin!

Thanks again for your support guys. Unfortunately I can not promise I'll be able to support this skin in the way XBMC expects. I'll try to but I really can't make a promise.

This was meant primarily as a skin for my family and only afterwards decided to make it available for others too. I don't want to disappoint you, just trying to be frank - keeping skin alive for my family is one thing, while supporting XBMC community is something entirely different.

For example - I use only Infolist view and my boys Fanart. Further, I use it for movies and tvshows and couple of addons :-) I don't use it on ATV2 - I have one but I use it for testing only as I have buffering problems (and you just don't need to care about some stuff if you don't care about skin being able to run smoothly on ATV2).

I just wanted a quick, nice and non distracting skin which is intuitive and easy to use - I don't need to have 'skilled skinner' degree. I'm glad if you have a similar taste and like to use it. So, let's just talk here until we get banished by the devs or mods :-)

- Doraemonn - 2011-06-08

pecinko Wrote:For example - I use only Infolist view and my boys Fanart. Further, I use it for movies and tvshows and couple of addons :-) I don't use it on ATV2 - I have one but I use it for testing only as I have buffering problems (and you just don't need to care about some stuff if you don't care about skin being able to run smoothly on ATV2).

I guess it's somewhat ironic then that your skin is just about the best ATV2 skin out there in terms of performance.

I'll be damned.

- Simian - 2011-06-08

pecinko Wrote:Cool, I'm always interested in this kind of suggestions.

Making suitable graphics could be a little challenging for me, though :-)

You and me both.

Quartz offers a combination of two things that no other skin seems to: simplicity and useful customization. Not only can I add a "children's" section to tv and film, but my gf can see it, and navigate to it without help. Now he's had a bit of practice, my 3yo son can now get from the home screen to peppa pig, and without having to scroll past reams of unsuitable content.

Personally I think it deserves a wider audience, and some input from a decent artist Smile

Once you're finished with the current update, I think it would be worthwhile getting it in the skins section of the forum, and maybe some other people would be interested in doing some work on it. Perhaps you could release it on a "bug fixes but no feature requests, unless you can implement them yourself" basis (given a stable code base, I'd be happy to learn how skinning xbmc works and add the per menu custom graphics option).

Simon.

- Shoesy - 2011-06-09

There are plenty of forgotten skins floating about in the main skins section that arnt half of what Quartz is. Get next release out, get promoting- that's what I say.

Still - ultimately your call P.

- ubuntuf4n - 2011-06-09

This skin is very fast, especially it works flawlessly on older slower machines.
Furthermore the simple UI is easy to use and works well.

Suggestions :
*Status Indicator while changing the Aspect-Ratio (pressing Enter while in Video-OSD) is N/A
*Video Info, pressing 'C' while in Video-OSD is N/A.

But all in all, a great skin, which response even better than confluence.

Cheers

- Pete7 - 2011-06-09

Is there an indicator somewhere that shows how fast the search is going in videos? 2x,4x,8x,etc.

- pecinko - 2011-06-09

Pete7 Wrote:Is there an indicator somewhere that shows how fast the search is going in videos? 2x,4x,8x,etc.

There's an indicator in left part of the bar, but it only differentiates between RW/FW (2 triangles) and everything else (2,4,8,16.. are shown as 3 triangles).

- pecinko - 2011-06-09

ubuntuf4n Wrote:Suggestions :
*Status Indicator while changing the Aspect-Ratio (pressing Enter while in Video-OSD) is N/A
*Video Info, pressing 'C' while in Video-OSD is N/A.

This should be easy to fix. It seams as XBMC maps those key functions to control IDs not functions, although I haven't seen it documented in wiki. I'll take a look at Confluence.

- pecinko - 2011-06-09

Simian Wrote:Personally I think it deserves a wider audience, and some input from a decent artist Smile

Should I read this as: it's very functional but ugly? ;-)

Quote:Once you're finished with the current update, I think it would be worthwhile getting it in the skins section of the forum, and maybe some other people would be interested in doing some work on it.

On a more serious note: People are welcome to join the project at any time. Shoesy and Baswazz already helped with graphics.

- pecinko - 2011-06-09

Doraemonn Wrote:I guess it's somewhat ironic then that your skin is just about the best ATV2 skin out there in terms of performance.

Not quite:-) It runs well on iPad and iPhone too (not really usable as controls are small) and I have no means of testing in on touch device myself.

My opinion is that a skin should should look good, but must be snappy and easy to use on any device. At least that's what I'm trying to achieve.

- Doraemonn - 2011-06-09

pecinko Wrote:Not quite:-) It runs well on iPad and iPhone too (not really usable as controls are small) and I have no means of testing in on touch device myself.

My opinion is that a skin should should look good, but must be snappy and easy to use on any device. At least that's what I'm trying to achieve.

You certainly are. All I meant was to compliment you on the fact that, without even trying, you have created the ideal ATV2 skin. It's quick, it's pretty, and it's highly functional.

I'd love to see how good you could make it if you actually TRIED to optimise it for the ATV2 Wink

- pecinko - 2011-06-09

Simian Wrote:t would be nice if the XBMC logo displayed on the home screen could be a per-item image. i.e. When Movies is selected, it could be "XBMC" with a film reel or cine camera, or whatever.

Just trying how it would look like :-)

It would probably look better as a fullscreen. And we would witness the birth of just another Aeon like skin :-)

Image Image