Kodi Community Forum
Google Nexus Player - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Google Nexus Player (/showthread.php?tid=206515)

Google Nexus Player - kenelbow - 2014-11-10

(2014-11-09, 00:36)drewg Wrote: I'm basically looking for a small, low-power embedded xbmc box that can replace my HD300 when it dies. I really don't want to go back to a media PC by the TV. Given the Nexus player's horrific 1080i support, it is apparently not a viable option. How does the FireTV handle 1080i mpeg2?

Thanks!

Drew

I use the fire tv and mythtv backend for pvr and it works reasonably well. With mediacodec disabled and libstagefright enabled I can watch both 720p and 1080i recordings without any frame drops. Deinterlacing doesn't work on 1080i video unfortunately, but it isn't very noticeable on a 1080p TV.

RE: Google Nexus Player - drewg - 2014-11-10

(2014-11-10, 14:26)kenelbow Wrote:
(2014-11-09, 00:36)drewg Wrote: I'm basically looking for a small, low-power embedded xbmc box that can replace my HD300 when it dies. I really don't want to go back to a media PC by the TV. Given the Nexus player's horrific 1080i support, it is apparently not a viable option. How does the FireTV handle 1080i mpeg2?

Thanks!

Drew

I use the fire tv and mythtv backend for pvr and it works reasonably well. With mediacodec disabled and libstagefright enabled I can watch both 720p and 1080i recordings without any frame drops. Deinterlacing doesn't work on 1080i video unfortunately, but it isn't very noticeable on a 1080p TV.

Ugh, that's unfortunate. You might not notice a lack of deinterlacing, but I sure do Sad

Drew

RE: Google Nexus Player - giant25 - 2014-11-10

(2014-11-10, 16:30)drewg Wrote:
(2014-11-10, 14:26)kenelbow Wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

I notice the interlacing as well. In fact, I returned my Amazon Fire TV because my mpeg2 TV recordings couldn't be properly deinterlaced. I thought you could deinterlace with mediacodec enabled only. Does this work or does it get choppy like the Fire TV did?
Ugh, that's unfortunate. You might not notice a lack of deinterlacing, but I sure do Sad

Drew

RE: Google Nexus Player - drewg - 2014-11-10

(2014-11-10, 20:17)giant25 Wrote: I notice the interlacing as well. In fact, I returned my Amazon Fire TV because my mpeg2 TV recordings couldn't be properly deinterlaced. I thought you could deinterlace with mediacodec enabled only. Does this work or does it get choppy like the Fire TV did?

I also have an ADT-1, and I could never get deinterlacing working on it either.

When deinterlace is enabled, the video is surgy / choppy. However, it does not seem to be using all 4 cores like it was when mediacodec was enabled, so maybe there is some headroom.

Is there a good reference somewhere as to the differences between mediacodec, stagefright, and pure software? When there is no hw accel path, do stagefright & mediacodec fall back to s/w their own s/w decoding? Do they use the same s/w decoder you get when you disable stagefright & mediacodec? Do they use some Android OS provided s/w decoder?

Is there a way to specify mediacodec for some media types, and stagefright for others?

RE: Google Nexus Player - Belic - 2014-11-10

Can this player handle streaming from nas(1080p, 8gb file) over wifi?

RE: Google Nexus Player - drewg - 2014-11-11

(2014-11-10, 23:10)Belic Wrote: Can this player handle streaming from nas(1080p, 8gb file) over wifi?

"sort of": To get decent reception near my TV from my AP in my house, I need an external antenna on whatever wireless device is in use.

if I move the nexus player to a totally impractical location on top of a bookshelf, connected to the TV using a very long HDMI cable, then I can stream via its internal wifi.

If I put the nexus near my TV in a nice looking way, then no, its reception is too weak, and there are too many things between the wifi AP and the nexus.

The wifi reception that I get from this box is roughly the same as reception on a phone/tablet. The big problem is that there is no external antenna & to get decent reception near my TV from my AP in my house, I need an external antenna. I actually have the nexus plugged into a wireless bridge via a USB wired ethernet connection. The wireless bridge has really big antennas, and gets a solid connection.

Drew

RE: Google Nexus Player - Topken - 2014-11-11

(2014-11-11, 00:25)drewg Wrote:
(2014-11-10, 23:10)Belic Wrote: Can this player handle streaming from nas(1080p, 8gb file) over wifi?

"sort of": To get decent reception near my TV from my AP in my house, I need an external antenna on whatever wireless device is in use.

if I move the nexus player to a totally impractical location on top of a bookshelf, connected to the TV using a very long HDMI cable, then I can stream via its internal wifi.

If I put the nexus near my TV in a nice looking way, then no, its reception is too weak, and there are too many things between the wifi AP and the nexus.

The wifi reception that I get from this box is roughly the same as reception on a phone/tablet. The big problem is that there is no external antenna & to get decent reception near my TV from my AP in my house, I need an external antenna. I actually have the nexus plugged into a wireless bridge via a USB wired ethernet connection. The wireless bridge has really big antennas, and gets a solid connection.

Drew

To get around the wifi problems you can use a Ethernet dongle. http://www.androidcentral.com/about-nexus-player-and-usb-support

(2014-11-11, 01:38)Topken Wrote:
(2014-11-11, 00:25)drewg Wrote: I actually have the nexus plugged into a wireless bridge via a USB wired ethernet connection.

To get around the wifi problems you can use a Ethernet dongle. http://www.androidcentral.com/about-nexus-player-and-usb-support

Yes, that's the USB wired ethernet connection I mentioned above.

Drew

RE: Google Nexus Player - mystico2014 - 2014-11-11

Hi I would like to become a tester to try xbmc on the nexus player can anybody guide me to get it intsalled in my player I know there will be hcups because it is just a test I would like to know how to install x86 apk on the player either through sideloading or any other way. also is it possible to install chrome browser on the player?

RE: Google Nexus Player - nickr - 2014-11-11

Here you go, searched nexus on the wiki and look what I found!!

http://kodi.wiki/view/Nexus_Player

LOL I should have clicked down and read that whole wiki page. It is currently empty!! Sorry for the sarcasm.

(2014-11-11, 08:48)mystico2014 Wrote: Hi I would like to become a tester to try xbmc on the nexus player can anybody guide me to get it intsalled in my player I know there will be hcups because it is just a test I would like to know how to install x86 apk on the player either through sideloading or any other way. also is it possible to install chrome browser on the player?

What I did:

- installed the command line adb (android debug bridge)
- downloaded latest kodi nightly for intel from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/android/x86/
- connected via adb to the nexus player:
adb connect IP_ADDRESS_OF_NEXUS_PLAYER:4321, eg "adb connect 192.168.200.201:4321"
- installed the apk via "adb install kodi-20141111-109f9b2-master-x86.apk"

I *might* have had to follow some menu entry in the settings of the nexus player to allow 3rd party apps. I don't remember.

There are instructions a few pages back from somebody who did it in a more gui friendly way.

RE: Google Nexus Player - trancen - 2014-11-12

Is there away to bring up the CONTEXT menu? I know like on the Apple TV it's holding down the MENU,

Anyway or hasn't been added for the Nexus Player?

RE: Google Nexus Player - ehabalbizri - 2014-11-13

excuse me guys, I didn't read all of the previous comments here
I have xbmc 12 "i guess" running on Ouya, and I want to upgrade to a newer android system
I'm really interested in this device. should I get one for Kodi, or is it early because kodi is still in beta for the nexus?

any suggestions?

thanks a lot

RE: Google Nexus Player - teki4u - 2014-11-14

Here is a recent review by Lon Seidman showing off xbmc, emulators and more on the nexus player:

http://youtu.be/dy_iBJEAQgE

RE: Google Nexus Player - McGoogley - 2014-11-15

Everyone seems thoroughly underwhelmed by this product. Is it time to draw a line through it?