Kodi Community Forum
Google Nexus Player - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Google Nexus Player (/showthread.php?tid=206515)

RE: Google Nexus Player - Koying - 2014-12-25

HDMI-CEC is controlled by the TV remote, and you can substitute the remote by an Harmony, so in this sense yes.

RE: Google Nexus Player - Hiphopopotamus - 2014-12-26

(2014-12-25, 14:40)Koying Wrote: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Hub-Based-Remotes/Asus-Nexus-Player-and-Harmony/td-p/1337271 works for me (at least on ADT-1) with a bluetooth-enabled harmony hub.

I have a Harmony 650, so no bluetooth hub, it can be purchased separately (not in my country though) but I am not spending another $100+ to get the hub just for the NP. Reading a few more posts around the place it seems that standard key inputs don't work with the MCE Keyboard and Harmony arrangement.
As for HDMI CEC, I have always made sure this was turned off as it has been a known source of HDMI sync problems. Even if I turned it on, everything goes through my AVR, so not sure if it would work, and even if it did there is still no "C" keyboard input to bring up the contextual menu.
I have found that I can position the mouse to be in the spot that the first tv show of a season is placed with my particular theme layout, it stays there until the NP is powered off. This does allow the Right Click button to bring up the contextual menu for that one item. I guess this makes it workable for the wife and I can put up with the annoyance of having to move it so I can correct the names of Shows it has indexed incorrectly and other things. Not ideal but something for now.

RE: Google Nexus Player - nickr - 2014-12-26

You can change button mappings, although many TVs don't have a suitable range of buttons.

RE: Google Nexus Player - wrxtasy - 2014-12-26

(2014-12-25, 14:20)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: Has anyone figured out a way to delete items from the library with a Harmony remote? Is there another keyboard I could enter as a device on the Harmony? Is a Flirc my only option?
Firstly in the Harmony software erase the China junk and reprogram the remote as a Microsoft - XBMC device. Make sure every buton is mapped to a command, by adding commands to buttons without ones already pre programmed in the Harmony software.

You may then want to further remap every button with custom keyboard controls either manually or using this via GUI:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=168767

If that does not work and you want this remote to work properly you have to put some work in and customise it as that IR receiver you have is likely masquerading as something else. (See link below)

Deletion of items is: Context © > Manage > Remove from Library

Smile

Edit: this will also help with your right click / remote issues (half way down the page)...
http://ashparnell.com/2013/03/harmony-650-remote-control-and-xbmc

RE: Google Nexus Player - Koying - 2014-12-26

A no-brainer is to buy a flirc, use their harmony profile and you're done Wink

RE: Google Nexus Player - wrxtasy - 2014-12-26

Not quite, I have written about this in a Newbs guide extensively.
Both the XBMC and Flirc profiles in the Harmony Online Software are missing some commands when used with the Harmony One, 650 and others in the IR Harmony product catalogue.

These profiles badly need updating.

RE: Google Nexus Player - Hiphopopotamus - 2014-12-26

I have some reading to do, I am actually pretty happy with where I am now, but if those articles improve then I will do that instead.
What I have done is found that with the SiO2 skin, and it's specific view option for both TV and Movies, it positions the Selection point in the centre right of the screen, while the content scrolls up or down through the selection point. This allows me to position the mouse point in this one position and know that for every screen in Movies and TV, the right click will affect the selected item.
Not sure if I have described that well, I can't find a video that shows it for more than 2 seconds so not helpful.
I will read the articles you posted wrxtasy and see if that can be even better, but so far it is actually doing all I need.

Edit: I entered the Windows XBMC as a device and did a new activity based around these controls, nothing worked, not a single transmission resulted in an action. I had read earlier in regards to my XBMC Keyboard and "C" key desire that only a Microsoft branded IR receiver would work for Microsoft devices, and they are apparently non existent these days. I didn't look any further into it.
My brain is done for today, so I will read those articles in full tomorrow.

RE: Google Nexus Player - robontheweb - 2014-12-26

Hi all,

I installed Kodi (ARM) - Helix (kodi-14.0-Helix-armeabi-v7a) and encounter performance/buffering issues with movie (MKV) files > 5 GB. This issue occurs within the first minute and so on. Files which are less then 5GB seem to run fine. From reading on this forum and other posts on the internet Kodi should be able to play those files without buffering issues.

My Nexus Player is connected via USB -> Ethernet hub (i initialy ran via Wifi). My movies/series are stored on my Synology NAS 213J (latest DSM). I use NFS to connect to my NAS.
Netflix and Youtube seem to run without issues whatsoever, so i don't think the connection is the issue.

I already tried the following:
- Unchecked 'MediaCodec' in the advanced video settings. This results in the following behaviour: when i try to open a file it closed Kodi instead and i am back to the main menu of the Nexus player

Please note that i am new to using Kodi. Am i using the correct version of Kodi? Can i alter something in the advancedsettings.xml? And if so, what settings should i use? Or is there another thing i could try?
Please let me know if i can provide a log-file (and how to get one ).

Thanks in advance for the help.

RE: Google Nexus Player - Wilberry - 2014-12-26

(2014-12-26, 15:02)robontheweb Wrote: Hi all,

I installed Kodi (ARM) - Helix (kodi-14.0-Helix-armeabi-v7a) and encounter performance/buffering issues with movie (MKV) files > 5 GB. This issue occurs within the first minute and so on. Files which are less then 5GB seem to run fine. From reading on this forum and other posts on the internet Kodi should be able to play those files without buffering issues.

My Nexus Player is connected via USB -> Ethernet hub (i initialy ran via Wifi). My movies/series are stored on my Synology NAS 213J (latest DSM). I use NFS to connect to my NAS.
Netflix and Youtube seem to run without issues whatsoever, so i don't think the connection is the issue.

I already tried the following:
- Unchecked 'MediaCodec' in the advanced video settings. This results in the following behaviour: when i try to open a file it closed Kodi instead and i am back to the main menu of the Nexus player

Please note that i am new to using Kodi. Am i using the correct version of Kodi? Can i alter something in the advancedsettings.xml? And if so, what settings should i use? Or is there another thing i could try?
Please let me know if i can provide a log-file (and how to get one ).

Thanks in advance for the help.

I find the x86 version to be faster than the ARM version. I do have issues with Navi-X in both the ARM and x86 version.It's hit and miss, sometimes the links in Nav-X work and more often it kicks out of the Kodi when a link is clicked.

Overall the x86 version seems faster to me and just as stable as the ARM version, so I am sticking with x86 .

RE: Google Nexus Player - JoHasse - 2014-12-27

Are you using the last build posted a few days ago?

RE: Google Nexus Player - wrxtasy - 2014-12-27

(2014-12-26, 19:21)Wilberry Wrote: sometimes the links in Nav-X work and more often it kicks out of the Kodi when a link is clicked.
So using a Add-On thats Kodi forum blacklisted.
One that uses dodgy links, to pirated material and then wondering why something does not work ?
Are you for real mate ?

RE: Google Nexus Player - Hiphopopotamus - 2014-12-27

(2014-12-26, 08:47)wrxtasy Wrote: You may then want to further remap every button with custom keyboard controls either manually or using this via GUI:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=168767

I tried this, and unfortunately it didn't work. Not sure why, I tried to map the TAB command to bring up the Context menu. It did look as if it was successful, there was a command ID number registered against this, so the IR input as successfully received. I exited the Ad-on by selecting save, however it would not actually save it. The button was not re-mapped, and when going back to the Ad-on, it no longer showed the input ID against the Contextual Menu option. A pity, as this would have been the best option, allowing me to use any skin or layout (I do actually like the SiO2 one best though) and also adding the Info button, but this all failed to save.

I am pretty happy with where I am at though.
I do notice if I leave Kodi running, and I have not used it for a few hours, it will not immediately respond to the IR inputs. I find it is best for me to go to the NP home page (this remote command works immediately) and then go back to Kodi.

I read over the IR command post, nope, I am not getting into that, no need and I would't know what I was doing.

RE: Google Nexus Player - Hiphopopotamus - 2014-12-27

(2014-12-25, 12:27)Koying Wrote: Please try this native x86 build and report on stability: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/x86/kodi-20141224-5b3cc1e-pocc++11-x86.apk

I used this tonight and had no crashes. Although it was only an hour of playback, the prior X86 build basically guaranteed to crash after about 20mins of playback.
As JoHasse noted, the X86 version is snappier than the ARM version. I didn't notice it when I switched to the ARM version, but after spending a couple of days doing a ton of navigation through the menus for setup, i noticed it straight away when I loaded this.

RE: Google Nexus Player - Hiphopopotamus - 2014-12-28

While I am getting no crashes with build - kodi-20141224-5b3cc1e-pocc++11-x86.apk I am getting frame drops/staggered playback. It will be fine for a few minutes, then for a little bit it will have the odd stagger. I did have HDMI frame rate match selected, turned that back to resolution (NP Dev setting) and off in Kodi. I tried turning MediaCodec off as a few have, but Kodi would crash every time it started to play something, so it is back on.
I reset all Kodi video settings, still have the issue.

RE: Google Nexus Player - Wilberry - 2014-12-28

(2014-12-27, 03:42)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2014-12-26, 19:21)Wilberry Wrote: sometimes the links in Nav-X work and more often it kicks out of the Kodi when a link is clicked.
So using a Add-On thats Kodi forum blacklisted.
One that uses dodgy links, to pirated material and then wondering why something does not work ?
Are you for real mate ?

Honestly wasn't aware Navi-X was a blacklisted add-on. Its been around for a long time and used by a lot of people. I was just describing my personal experience with the various versions of Kodi. Yes I am for real mate.