Kodi Community Forum
Google Nexus Player - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Google Nexus Player (/showthread.php?tid=206515)

RE: Google Nexus Player - Gmjh - 2015-11-18

(2015-11-18, 05:05)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes there is and its up to Google to fix it in the Firmware itself. You need to voice your request with them, it has nothing to do with Kodi.

This is very unlikely to happen when you have competing devices from Amazon and Apple that also do not support 24p video sync.

Ok thanks. I'm still amazed that hardly anyone seems bothered by the literally unavoidable video stutter on all of these devices. I can't even start trying to find an alternative to the np or fire tv box that might play 24fps properly as hardly any devices will also play Netflix in hd (another gripe) which is a must for me.

On a related note, do you or anyone know why all tv broadcasts will play all tv shows and all movies without any stutter and yet trying to find a media player that will do the same thing from a stored media file is a ridiculously difficult nigh on impossibility? Thanks very much.

RE: Google Nexus Player - wrxtasy - 2015-11-18

(2015-11-18, 05:17)Gmjh Wrote: I can't even start trying to find an alternative to the np or fire tv box that might play 24fps properly as hardly any devices will also play Netflix in hd (another gripe) which is a must for me.
Solution: Automatic 24p mode selection for HD Netflix = WeTek Core Smile
or manual 24p mode selection for HD Netflix = nVIDIA Shield (confirmation needed !)

These are the only two.

RE: Google Nexus Player - wesk05 - 2015-11-18

(2015-11-18, 07:05)wrxtasy Wrote: or manual 24p mode selection for HD Netflix = nVIDIA Shield (confirmation needed !)

On firmware 2.0 and later, you can manually select 1080 23.976Hz or 4K 23.976Hz on nVIDIA SHIELD for HD or 4K UHD Netflix. You can also set 23.976Hz mode using TVHz app on the SHIELD. 4K UHD Netflix will be output as 10-bit YCbCr 4:2:0 Rec. 2020 on the SHIELD.

RE: Google Nexus Player - Hiphopopotamus - 2015-11-18

Yep, setting the Shield to 23.976 for Netflix is a glorious thing.

RE: Google Nexus Player - Vimes - 2015-11-18

(2015-11-18, 07:05)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-11-18, 05:17)Gmjh Wrote: I can't even start trying to find an alternative to the np or fire tv box that might play 24fps properly as hardly any devices will also play Netflix in hd (another gripe) which is a must for me.
Solution: Automatic 24p mode selection for HD Netflix = WeTek Core Smile
or manual 24p mode selection for HD Netflix = nVIDIA Shield (confirmation needed !)

These are the only two.

But the Wetek Core is not available, so it is not a solution pre se.

I suspect the Core's release must be any day now.
WeTek have certainly not rushed this to the market like a most Android boxes coming out of Asia with buggy, incomplete Firmware.

RE: Google Nexus Player - Vimes - 2015-11-18

(2015-11-18, 11:32)wrxtasy Wrote: I suspect the Core's release must be any day now.
WeTek have certainly not rushed this to the market like a most Android boxes coming out of Asia with buggy, incomplete Firmware.

I can understand that. But it is not about a rush to the market it is more of watching, with patience, their own count down clock ticking down to launch and then nothing. Unless I have missed it I would have expected an update to their webpage on its aproximate release if they felt confident enough to have pre order discount sales and a countdown timer.

I had asked, but it might have been missed, if they would be the only supplier or do they hope to get it into other retail stores,...? I live in the UK.

Thanks very much for the replies. I don't have any problems with Netflix on the np. Will this wetek player also offer 23.976 for kodi? And did the nvidia shield?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238923&pid=2164040#pid2164040

RE: Google Nexus Player - Dark_Slayer - 2015-11-18

(2015-11-18, 05:17)Gmjh Wrote: Ok thanks. I'm still amazed that hardly anyone seems bothered by the literally unavoidable video stutter on all of these devices. I can't even start trying to find an alternative to the np or fire tv box that might play 24fps properly as hardly any devices will also play Netflix in hd (another gripe) which is a must for me.

On a related note, do you or anyone know why all tv broadcasts will play all tv shows and all movies without any stutter and yet trying to find a media player that will do the same thing from a stored media file is a ridiculously difficult nigh on impossibility? Thanks very much.

Skipping one frame every 40 seconds is not stutter. I've heard all the nonsense in the world related to this, "I'm really sensitive," "I edit video for a living," "my TV is really big," yada yada. Missing one frame per second is noticeable, but you would only notice one every 40 seconds if you stopped watching the content and instead watched for artifacts.

From an academic standpoint, I like 23.976 as well as the next guy. I want it working properly, but every device on the chain has to support it properly as well (avr and display). If you have noticeable stutter every second it's very likely something decoder related and nothing to do with 23.976

Also, for your question, TV broadcasts in the US are 30fps, which syncs up well as a multiple to many popular display refresh rates on TVs sold here, 60hz, 120, 240, etc. They are made to support broadcasts essentially, blu ray is an extra that you have shop for (23.976)

You're right in a way and my wife would certainly agree with youBig Grin I notice a frame drop once every ten minutes or so on kodi with the nexus player. In a way that's even worse than the actual stutter I've had much worse on other devices as it's such a tiny fault it drives me mad that it can't be got rid of. Maybe it shouldn't bother me but it does.

Thanks for answering the other question but I'm still not sure why there's never any frame drops on normal tv broadcasts regardless of which country the show was recorded in. There's no frame drops that I can see in Netflix streaming either.

RE: Google Nexus Player - Kodroid - 2015-11-22

If we want 24p support, we have to open an issue for it on the Android issue tracker and then everybody here has to vote for it.

https://code.google.com/p/android/

RE: Google Nexus Player - wrxtasy - 2015-11-22

(2015-11-18, 14:14)Dark_Slayer Wrote: Skipping one frame every 40 seconds is not stutter. I've heard all the nonsense in the world related to this, "I'm really sensitive," "I edit video for a living," "my TV is really big," yada yada. Missing one frame per second is noticeable, but you would only notice one every 40 seconds if you stopped watching the content and instead watched for artifacts.
Are you sure ?
For starters there is no Skip approx. every 41 seconds or so. This is not an Artifact. An extra video frame is inserted and this causes a very noticeable visual upset or glitch in the video stream. Just remember you are trying to display 23.976fps at 24Hz, so an extra video Frame has to be inserted.

The trouble has been all you Septic Tanks are so used to putting up with 3:2 pulldown judder, you would not know what silky smooth 24p video playback looked like if it jumped up and bit you on the ass ! Wink Wink

RE: Google Nexus Player - Dark_Slayer - 2015-11-22

(2015-11-22, 08:32)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-11-18, 14:14)Dark_Slayer Wrote: Skipping one frame every 40 seconds is not stutter. I've heard all the nonsense in the world related to this, "I'm really sensitive," "I edit video for a living," "my TV is really big," yada yada. Missing one frame per second is noticeable, but you would only notice one every 40 seconds if you stopped watching the content and instead watched for artifacts.
Are you sure ?
For starters there is no Skip approx. every 41 seconds or so. This is not an Artifact. An extra video frame is inserted and this causes a very noticeable visual upset or glitch in the video stream. Just remember you are trying to display 23.976fps at 24Hz, so an extra video Frame has to be inserted.

The trouble has been all you Septic Tanks are so used to putting up with 3:2 pulldown judder, you would not know what silky smooth 24p video playback looked like if it jumped up and bit you on the ass ! Wink Wink
Yes, and playing 23.976 at 24hz results in adding a frame at every 959th frame (approx) to settle up to 960 which works to around one extra frame every 40 seconds. And a frame occurs for a total screen time of around 0.05s

Not only do I stand by everything I said, but I've tested it enough to verify my thoughts. I certainly have a display capable of proper 24p and Intel OE box with proper refresh rate switching.

RE: Google Nexus Player - Gmjh - 2015-11-22

/

The nature of this glitch is still very odd to me. When playing Netflix or any tv stream I don't notice any glitch at all. Nothing. It may well be there but I don't see it. But play a 23.976 file in kodi and it's instantly noticeable.

I've installed the tvhz app and forced the np to show 24hz and it seems to improve things a bit but I can still see the jump.

Also I've read everywhere that having a 60hz tv (which I do) makes the issue much worse as showing 24hz has to involve 3:2 pull down as 60 does not'fit' into 24. I have a feeling that if I had a120hz tv (which does fit into 24hz as it's five times 24) I won't even notice the glitch.