Kodi Community Forum
Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions (/showthread.php?tid=207004)

RE: Latest VidOn Box Impressions - BORIStheBLADE - 2014-10-22

Thanks for the write up! For that price it does sound like a decent option for consumers not shooting for the stars..

RE: Latest VidOn Box Impressions - movie78 - 2014-10-22

(2014-10-22, 14:50)hdmkv Wrote: Some pics...

Don't want to embed rest, so links:
- Image 2
- Image 3
- Image 4
- Image 5
- Image 6
- Image 7
- Image 8
- Image 9
- Image 10
- Image 11
- Image 12

The images are not loading up for me.

RE: Latest VidOn Box Impressions - hdmkv - 2014-10-22

Weird; I just uploaded to imgbur and copy/pasted the direct links. Pics not working for anyone else? I can post to my Photobucket a/c later.

RE: Latest VidOn Box Impressions - Wolly - 2014-10-22

Pics work for me Smile

(2014-10-22, 17:42)hdmkv Wrote: Weird; I just uploaded to imgbur and copy/pasted the direct links. Pics not working for anyone else? I can post to my Photobucket a/c later.

I am using Google Chrome.
Sorry I think my company is blocking the link..

RE: Latest VidOn Box Impressions - Wolly - 2014-10-22

Quote:And in the latest update, we have improved the user experience, you can update the software to get better experience.
I did my testing last night (just before my first post above). There's already a newer firmware/software?

The factory version indeed has some UI bugs, but we fixed in the later versions. However, when you update VMC to 0010 and reboot the box, you don't need to select the language again, so you may not see the changes.

And now we are going to release the new version of SDK and VMC very soon, you can read the topic from our forum http://forum.vidon.me/index.php?/topic/688-vidon-box-sdk-update-preview/

RE: Latest VidOn Box Impressions - halfelite - 2014-10-22

(2014-10-22, 15:15)hdmkv Wrote: jjd-uk, yes, tried both THD & DTS-MA 7.1. I'll do some more testing later today via VidOn media center and their XBMC app. Re: my Denon 1913 AVR, 'Info' button isn't showing 5.1 or 7.1; will play around to see if I can get better audio details.

mlknez, I only have 2 channel FLAC files, but I can test photos for you.

movie78, no, I'll try that setting in pic you posted.

If you cant get more audio information goto http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php download the DTS HD-Master Audio Sound Check 7.1 (Lossless) / Dolby TrueHD Channel Check (Lossless) it will sound each speaker in sequence. Then you can make sure you are getting all outputs. They are what I use to test 7.1 loseless on all my players I get

How noticeable is the dropped frames with no 23.976 is it as bad as the old 1186 players with the judder at every 42 seconds?

Okay, did some more testing... there was a new SDK/firmware update, so did that first. After reboot, no more VidOn Media Center (VMC) launcher. Goes to following two-tab view (apps/settings):

I personally prefer this as XBMC is my jukebox of choice anyway, but I wonder if the VMC will return in a future update. Wolly? If so, I say make it optional.

Now I did extensive 3D testing, and unfortunately, 3D does not work! Tried about a dozen different 3D BD ISO's (main movie only rips and full rips w/menus). As there's no VMC now, I did all testing via VidOn XBMC. Whether I chose menu or selected by correct 3D playlist, the playback was always 2D. As suggested by movie78 in the previous page, I tried setting 'Blu-rays' to '3D playback', but that just output everything as faux top/bottom format.

Again, as there's no VMC anymore, after XBMC, I tried the file manager app and tried playing 3D ISO's that way. The box gives you 3 player choices ('Video Player', 'XBMC' and another whose name I forget). XBMC takes you to XBMC with the same results as above, while other two don't play the ISO.

With the latest SDK/firmware, playback quality seems to have improved a little. I watched about 15 minutes of 'The Dark Knight Rises' BD rip (MKV) toward the end, and it played smoothly and audio appeared to be in synch. Here and there, I see ever-so-slight lip-synch issues, but issue quickly disappears after about a minute or if you skip ahead a chapter. I specifically tried TDKR as it exhibits the green pixellated streaks issue on Amazon Fire TV (along with 'Bedtime Stories' and a couple other H.264 MKV BD rips). No such issues on VidOn.

Next, I tested a VC-1 title with 7.1 LPCM: '3:10 to Yuma'. Smooth playback and LPCM output fine. You only get a very brief pause/hiccup when you skip forward/back chapters, but then VidOn box resumes smooth playback right away.

Re: HD audio, as my AVR won't show whether 5.1 or 7.1, I tried halfelite's suggestion above. I already had several TrueHD 7.1 and DTS-MA 7.1 audio test files, and 7.1 does indeed seem to work. Also, the dropped frames with no 23.976 isn't that noticeable, but I really need to watch a whole movie over the weekend and see.

Finally, for now, I tested Netflix and two Android games. Oh, Google Play Store now works with the latest firmware. Signing into Netflix is impossible w/o a keboard/mouse (see pic). VidOn box wouldn't recognize my Logitech K400 wireless keyboard, so tried Hausbell Mini H7, which worked fine. Netflix works fine, obviously designed for tablets and output capped at 480p, but not VidOn's fault, but Netflix. Quality is so-so, with some macroblocking visible on a 133" screen (again, as obviously designed for tablets).

For games, I tried 'Riptide GP2' and 'Beach Buggy Racing'. 'Riptide' wouldn't load (spinning circle forever) or just crash. 'Beach Buggy' did work. With my Hausbell keyboard I was able to start the game, but had no way to actually play it. I have a Microsoft Xbox360 remote I'll try later, but maybe an Android game controller is necessary.

Some additional pics (not already linked above):
http://i.imgur.com/1SLVZHo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/db0xxmI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/i3JJB8x.jpg

Main issue for VidOn to fix: 3D, 3D and 3D! Smile

This is unbelievable,how can the claim something which doesn't even work on the release.
It state on their website that it does support Bluray 3D ISO Frame Packed.
Unless they don't understand the meaning of Frame Packed 3D and they OU or SBS are the same as Frame Packed.

HDMKV

Do you think the KdLinks A200 could be the next option?

Don't know; hopefully Wolly will explain... hope they meant 3D rendered as 3D, not that 3D plays, but as 2D.

Not sure I'll try KDLinks A200 at $200. Pricey to experiment, although if you get it from Amazon, you can likely return it hassle-free.

There's also a Hi-Media Q5 for $160. See here.

For now, Mede8er X3D will remain my trusty, dedicated 2D and 3D box. Does it all and well (just no XBMC and apps/games).

(2014-10-22, 22:51)hdmkv Wrote: Don't know; hopefully Wolly will explain... hope they meant 3D rendered as 3D, not that 3D plays, but as 2D.

Not sure I'll try KDLinks A200 at $200. Pricey to experiment, although if you get it from Amazon, you can likely return it hassle-free.

There's also a Hi-Media Q5 for $160. See here.

For now, Mede8er X3D will remain my trusty, dedicated 2D and 3D box. Does it all and well (just no XBMC and apps/games).

I saw the Himedia Q5 looks promising,but i think this might have the problem as any Android media player.

What Mede8er version do you have?

Yep, that's what I'm starting to think as well. At least with VidOn, it's the first Android box I know of that does hd audio. Now we need 3D as 3D and we'd be (almost) all set. Still need 23.976 (in addition to 24), but can wait on that.

RE: Latest VidOn Box Impressions - Roby77 - 2014-10-23

I think that i will jump also this gen of android box

Some claims in the product page linux support and we know that rk it's not interested in linux
no official fork
Not all box guarantee audio passthrough
no auto framerate
no 23,976
uncertain video quality
4k 60p ??

some boxes are expensive like nuc

bah (imho)

RE: Latest VidOn Box Impressions - hdmkv - 2014-10-23

I hear ya. The potential is there, just not fully realized yet. Movie78, I'm using Mede8er 600X3D, a terrific 3D media player.

RE: Latest VidOn Box Impressions - Wolly - 2014-10-23

In our testing room, 3D blu-ray iso plays well, I wear the 3D glasses, the 3D effect is good. But our source contains all content not only main title, don't know if it's the reason why you cannot get 3D. I will ask our developers about this matter.

And We have announced in our forum that the new SDK update will include a simple version of VMC, because it's more stable and most XBMC lovers like a simple launcher. The full function version is still available for all users, but if you want the full function one you need to download it and install it manually. We will update the download links on our forum later. So stay tuned.