Kodi Community Forum
Vero OSMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Vero OSMC (/showthread.php?tid=209785)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Vero OSMC - zaphod24 - 2015-03-24

So it looks like there is one positive review and one so-so review. The positive review appears to be for local content and iTunes movies trailers, both of which are most likely not interlaced.

My experience with the similar Cubox-i2 device was also positive for that kind of content. I also use kodi to watch live tv using the mythtv plugin, and there is where issues occurred deinterlacing interlaced tv content. Several kodi developers made significant progress on deinterlacing but in some cases my Cubox just could not keep up. Their feedback was that the i4 device did better.

I also saw issues with the IR receiver range, needing to manually set the network speed to 100mb and sometimes high temperatures when kodi was idle and not playing content.

I would love to hear more about live tv and deinterlacing performance as that is what got me to try the rpi2 when it came out. It would be great to try osmc on my Cubox and put it back into use.

RE: Vero OSMC - MediaPi - 2015-03-24

4 months in and vero team haven't managed to have a video demonstration of their consumer product... I do recall Sam promising on twitter, hell have one in a week... Months ago. If your really confident in your product why not let the product do the talking... Maybe then you won't have as much criticism

RE: Vero OSMC - jazzbo - 2015-03-24

(2015-03-24, 16:38)zaphod24 Wrote: I would love to hear more about live tv and deinterlacing performance as that is what got me to try the rpi2 when it came out. It would be great to try osmc on my Cubox and put it back into use.

Yeah I'm curious in this as well. Are there plans to release OSMC images so that cubox-i or cubox-tv owners can try it on their hardware as well?

I see in the commit logs that it looks like the recent interlacing patches are in OSMC too and at least with the distribution I use those haven't made it into a release yet. (I only have on a couple interlaced files in my library and have no interest in live tv, but I'd still be curious to try it.)

RE: Vero OSMC - fritsch - 2015-03-25

I have no idea about the osmc images. I ported all the IMX rework from v15 to helix and also shared them with sam - cause in my eyes user(!) is important - no matter which brand here and there. User(!) should get the best.

So - I only have a working OpenELEC version, sorry for that - but I don't know howto build osmc for a normal cubox, you can try that code, really only if you like from: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55728161/OpenELEC-imx6.arm-devel-20150322143813-r20133-g890c4cc.tar

Osmc has since I made that image (only with the video stuff in mind) improved a lot. I see libcec patches and more, which should increase user experience. So, please - don't use that image to show one is "superior" than the other ... I don't care.

Have fun with testing. I am also happy to edit that post and link an OSMC image - it runs the same video code anyways.

Kodi sources: https://github.com/fritsch/xbmc/commits/imx-rebase-pr

RE: Vero OSMC - thebertster - 2015-03-25

Well I'm going to post a little review here for what it's worth as this thread seems to be the most active at the moment.

I have been running RaspBMC on my Pi for quite some time and I donated to the project. When Vero was announced, it sounded like a significant improvement over the Pi and I actually purchased three, one for myself and two as gifts for friends.

I was mildly annoyed at the failure to deliver in the promised timescale while my money was sitting in someone else's bank account.

In any case, all three Veros were delivered this week and here are my initial thoughts:

The unit itself looks very neat. Everything was included in the box, including power supply and HDMI cable. I am pretty disappointed with the quality of the remote control. It may look nice in the photos, but the build quality is poor and it looks and feels very cheap indeed. I appreciate it was designed to a budget, but it's still significantly lower quality than I was expecting.

The Vero so far has played all content I've chucked at it without any issues. I can't complain about that...but then the same content also played perfectly well on the Raspberry Pi.

What is massively disappointing is the performance of the Kodi GUI. After playing with it today, I would say it feels slower and clunkier than RaspBMC on my Pi (on default RaspBMC overclocking settings). Even with the "optimised" OSMC skin (which I really dislike by the way) the GUI is hardly the snappy and smooth interface the developer would have you believe; when I switch to my preferred skin (Bello), and with the same skin settings as I use on the Pi (with animations and fanart backgrounds disabled), it definitely feels slower and clunkier. I was expecting a significant improvement from the higher spec Vero (and having paid significantly more for the privilege).

But at the moment, by far the worst issue is the operation of the remote. It is terrible. Often, button presses do not register. Intermittently, the whole system goes bananas as if hundreds of repeat button presses are processed. Now I did have a similar issue in RaspBMC which was resolved with an option in RaspBMC settings to suppress infrared repeats, but no such option seems to exist here. I could obviously tinker around in advancedsettings.xml, but I shouldn't be having to do that with something that is supposed to be an "out of the box" experience.

In addition, OSMC has crashed multiple times while doing nothing more than navigating through the menus. RaspBMC does the same very rarely (maybe once every few weeks) - OSMC has crashed four times in the last hour.

I have checked with my friend whose Vero arrived yesterday and he is having exactly the same issues with the performance and the remote.

In summary, I can't fault the video playback of the device, but otherwise I am disappointed and right now I'm regretting making the purchase - just not the improvement over the Pi that I was led to expect.

RE: Vero OSMC - Karnagious - 2015-03-25

Havent heard of OSMC crashing at all. Do you have logs?

Did you run an update? That might resolve gui stickiness too.

The skin isnt finished, let alone optimised, at the moment. What other skins did you try?

RE: Vero OSMC - jazzbo - 2015-03-26

(2015-03-25, 21:10)fritsch Wrote: So - I only have a working OpenELEC version, sorry for that - but I don't know howto build osmc for a normal cubox, you can try that code, really only if you like from: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55728161/OpenELEC-imx6.arm-devel-20150322143813-r20133-g890c4cc.tar

This should probably go in a separate thread for iMX6 machines which aren't the vero -- but I tried this version on my cubox-i4, and I was impressed. I tried a couple 1080i files that previously I couldn't deinterlace without skipping or dropping frames, and this played them just fine.

Really impressed in fact. Thank you for providing this.

Hopefully we get an OSMC image for non-vero iMX6 soon and I can try that too.

RE: Vero OSMC - samburrows - 2015-03-26

(2015-03-25, 22:05)thebertster Wrote: What is massively disappointing is the performance of the Kodi GUI. After playing with it today, I would say it feels slower and clunkier than RaspBMC on my Pi (on default RaspBMC overclocking settings). Even with the "optimised" OSMC skin (which I really dislike by the way) the GUI is hardly the snappy and smooth interface the developer would have you believe; when I switch to my preferred skin (Bello), and with the same skin settings as I use on the Pi (with animations and fanart backgrounds disabled), it definitely feels slower and clunkier. I was expecting a significant improvement from the higher spec Vero (and having paid significantly more for the privilege).

This is my overwhelming takeaway too so far. After a few days of using it now I am convinced that loading video and launching add-ons are pretty quick - but the GUI needs a massive performance boost.

RE: Vero OSMC - wrxtasy - 2015-03-26

Is Overclocking possible on the Vero like it is on the OSMC distribution running on the RPi ?
The Overclock settings should be in the MY OSMC menu if it is possible. It may help the GUI a wee bit.

Also how is 24p (23.976fps) video playback, and does Vero / OSMC switch the TV's refresh rates for perfectly synced video ?
The setting for this is: OSMC > Settings > Video > Playback > Adjust display refresh rate to match video > On start/stop

RE: Vero OSMC - fritsch - 2015-03-26

- It can't do 23.976 fps. The hw is not able to do so. 24.0, 50, 60 is available.
- Vero is already shipping with a maximized clock

From my pov, I think it's the DirtyRegion Method 1. Set that to 3 and set the nofliptimeout to the defaults completely in a custom advancedsettings.xml

Right. So the best really is a 3:2 pulldown for 23.976fps video.

And for those Newbs that want to know what fritsch has just detailed for speeding up the OSMC GUI a bit, its all detailed in the Kodi Wiki:

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_dirty_regions

RE: Vero OSMC - fritsch - 2015-03-26

3:2 pull down won't work. As there is also no 59.94 mode. It needs speed up to 24.0 and then displayed at 60hz. Or it's played at 24 hz. Which means, 32 ms of dts-hd, truehd needs to be dropped every some minute (roughly).

Edit: You get better sync with resample enabled and passthrough disabled anyways. So with the dts-hd master decoder in place (see ffmpeg or millhouse builds), you can enjouy 7.1 in full quality, be it lossless decoded truehd or dts-hd.

Ah yes, just be reading more about 3:2 and the required 59.94Hz.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

RE: Vero OSMC - techespaces - 2015-03-26

This device seems to be very big disappointment :S and very limited

RE: Vero OSMC - Koying - 2015-03-29

Looks like there is an explanation for the "slower than RPI1B" syndrome.
It seems to be the provided remote not behaving, currently.