Kodi Community Forum
Vero OSMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Vero OSMC (/showthread.php?tid=209785)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Vero OSMC - Soli - 2015-04-05

Take it easy my fellow elves. My post was in support of the project (espescially the non Vero part) but I understand the complaints of paying customers too.

RE: Vero OSMC - MediaPi - 2015-04-05

@ miappa go ahead, I recommend you call it OSMC, I don't really want anything to do with Vero or OSMC for a while, this thread has to much negativity for my liking

RE: Vero OSMC - Koying - 2015-04-05

Not sure why you'd want to discuss pure OSMC in the Kodi forums, though. That's what the OSMC forums are made for...
The OS part is, well, the OS, and it would be like talking about generic Windows or Android, and the MC part is a fork in which the Team is not involved.

RE: Vero OSMC - miappa - 2015-04-05

Fair enough, and you´re right, bring it to the OSMC forum then.
But again; not sure why the only thread discussing OSMC (and a big part of it) is the thread discussing Vero.
I personally don´t have one.... that said, I really shouldn´t be in here, except for OSMC I know very little about the matter.

Well, I don't know myself why OSMC came into the picture. This is the Kodi hardware forum, so I am only concerned about the Vero hardware.

That explains why I'm a bit virulent, as, put it the way you want, it's basically http://www.solid-run.com/product/cubox-i2/ , which, power supply, wifi+bluetooth and sdcard with OE included, amounts to a grand total of $99, or exactly half the price of a Vero.

So, from a pure Kodi perspective, the Team more-or-less agree that paying $100 just to replace OE with OSMC is a bit of a rip-off Wink

RE: Vero OSMC - DBMandrake - 2015-04-05

(2015-04-05, 14:38)Koying Wrote: Well, I don't know myself why OSMC came into the picture. This is the Kodi hardware forum, so I am only concerned about the Vero hardware.

That explains why I'm a bit virulent, as, put it the way you want, it's basically http://www.solid-run.com/product/cubox-i2/ , which, power supply, wifi+bluetooth and sdcard with OE included, amounts to a grand total of $99, or exactly half the price of a Vero.

So, from a pure Kodi perspective, the Team more-or-less agree that paying $100 just to replace OE with OSMC is a bit of a rip-off Wink
Koying,

What you say doesn't ring true. What difference is it to team Kodi which hardware platforms are supported and how much they cost ?

Why are you so concerned and upset that a Vero is more expensive than a Cubox-i ? If you are looking at it impartially as a member of team Kodi, whose intentions should be to see Kodi well supported by as many hardware platforms as possible thus growing the entire Kodi ecosystem your concern makes no sense.

If Vero's are too expensive then not many people will buy them and more people will buy alternatives - the market will sort itself out. How does that hurt Team Kodi ?

If on the other hand you are directly involved in OpenElec (I don't know if you are) then you need to declare your conflict of interest at the outset rather than speaking for "Team Kodi".

RE: Vero OSMC - fritsch - 2015-04-05

(2015-04-05, 16:17)DBMandrake Wrote:
(2015-04-05, 14:38)Koying Wrote: Well, I don't know myself why OSMC came into the picture. This is the Kodi hardware forum, so I am only concerned about the Vero hardware.

Koying,

What you say doesn't ring true. What difference is it to team Kodi which hardware platforms are supported and how much they cost ?

Why are you so concerned and upset that a Vero is more expensive than a Cubox-i ? If you are looking at it impartially as a member of team Kodi, whose intentions should be to see Kodi well supported by as many hardware platforms as possible thus growing the entire Kodi ecosystem your concern makes no sense.

If Vero's are too expensive then not many people will buy them and more people will buy alternatives - the market will sort itself out. How does that hurt Team Kodi ?

If on the other hand you are directly involved in OpenElec (I don't know if you are) then you need to declare your conflict of interest at the outset rather than speaking for "Team Kodi".

Now, I slowly get a bit mad. Koying is not, not at all, but without koying you could not even boot(!) kodi on your vero. But I am. I am maintaining OpenELEC's x64 (vdpau and vaapi, radeon, intel nucs) since several years. I ported the imx patches from v15 to helix and made sam aware that those are needed and ping him every time I find something that improves kodi on the vero (because of the users that blindly invested 200 dollars) ... this thread has absolutely nothing to do with OpenELEC.

Though some questions arrise. Back in January, months before the first vero, I documented, made public and informed vero folks of all the shortcomings the hardware has, which are not fixable in software. So the cubox's hw state (hw limitations to say, see the first pages of this thread)) and sw wise (no support from the binary blob folks ... non upstream kernel patches and so on) is very well known since months ... this is the point I don't get. Why making this a flagship device, when those are 100% known ... and furthermore why choosing the GC880, when nobody, really nobody ever tested, implemented kodi on this chip ... with a dev team that never did any IMX commit anywhere, that did not even know, that 23.976 fps content in combination with dts-hd won't work, cause of the wrong video / audio clock.

These things I'd like to discuss, not the old talk about OE is bad, osmc is better. The goal is: how can one achieve that the vero won't go into history as absolutely nightmare, which was obsolete (hw wise) since its release and never had marginally that kodi support that a Raspberry Pi currently has ....

(2015-04-05, 16:17)DBMandrake Wrote: If on the other hand you are directly involved in OpenElec (I don't know if you are) then you need to declare your conflict of interest at the outset rather than speaking for "Team Kodi".
FWIW, I'm absolutely not. I happened to participate in the initial imx import, so I'm interested in the subject, but I always built on-device from a pure jessie. Never used OE, Geexbox or OSMC on it (nor on any device, actually).

I just, as an individual in the Kodi hardware forum, speak my mind regarding the Vero, and obviously price matters, like every Kodi hardware. It just happen that the Team agrees on the subject.

(2015-04-05, 16:17)DBMandrake Wrote: ...to see Kodi well supported by as many hardware platforms as possible thus growing the entire Kodi ecosystem your concern makes no sense.
Well, there is exactly 0 (zero) mention of Kodi on the Vero homepage, not a credit, not a "thanks", so I don't think you can honestly say you participate in the spreading of Kodi Wink

(2015-04-05, 16:17)DBMandrake Wrote: If Vero's are too expensive then not many people will buy them and more people will buy alternatives - the market will sort itself out.
Indeed. And what I do is exactly tell people that there are cheaper alternatives.

If they want to pay $100 just for OSMC, I just want to be sure they do it in perfect knowledge.
Even so, I'd advise them to just give you the $100 and buy at least a Cubox I2ex or CuboxTV Wink

RE: Vero OSMC - Verouser - 2015-04-05

A couple of pictures of the Hardware in Vero.

RE: Vero OSMC - Dilligaf - 2015-04-05

(2015-04-05, 16:52)Koying Wrote: It just happen that the Team agrees on the subject.

Now this brings up a very good question. I have personally seen open hostility from Kodi team members towards Raspbmc way before there was any mention of Vero. What is the forum policy/position on its team members comments? I have always thought that as a team member their words/conversation reflected on the team as a whole and as such they should remain impartial and be held to a higher standard than a regular forum user.

WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL TEAM KODI POSITION ON RASPBMC/OSMC??

(2015-04-05, 17:08)Verouser Wrote: A couple of pictures of the Hardware in Vero.

Come one, this is not a good joke:

No fake images, please.

(2015-04-05, 17:13)Dilligaf Wrote: What is the forum policy/position on its team members comments?

There is none. We are a loose free bunch.

(2015-04-05, 17:13)Dilligaf Wrote: I have always thought that as a team member their words/conversation reflected on the team as a whole and as such they should remain impartial and be held to a higher standard than a regular forum user.

Yeah, right Wink

(2015-04-05, 17:13)Dilligaf Wrote: WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL TEAM KODI POSITION ON RASPBMC/OSMC??

There is none (officially).

RE: Vero OSMC - Verouser - 2015-04-05

(2015-04-05, 17:21)fritsch Wrote:
(2015-04-05, 17:08)Verouser Wrote: A couple of pictures of the Hardware in Vero.

Come one, this is not a good joke:

No fake images, please.

They are not fake, Why would i take it apart and post fake pictures. It is a SolidRun Product inside.

It's a cubox with different firmware ... (I still believed that there is something special in there)

(2015-04-05, 17:31)Verouser Wrote: They are not fake, Why would i take it apart and post fake pictures. It is a SolidRun Product inside.

That was a joke vs. the everlasting denial that Vero is NOT a Cubox Wink