Kodi Community Forum
preconfigured kodi before compiling? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+---- Forum: Android Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+---- Thread: preconfigured kodi before compiling? (/showthread.php?tid=217769)

Pages: 1 2 3

preconfigured kodi before compiling? - krzmtl - 2015-02-09

Hey guys,

I have been an xbmc hobbyist for years and only recently have i been playing with android and xbmc.
I am a web develper and integrator.....not a coder.....but i have been teaching myself as much as possible.

i have been trying to create an apk with a preconfigured xbmc.
my own skin, some commonly used plugins, and my own plugin i have built for our internal signage network.

I have searched the forum to no avail....
so i had to figure out a way to do it that i know is the wrong way....but it's the most progress i have gotten so far.

what i have done is download the latest koi....then i used apktool to decompile it (i cant figure out how to compile xbmc and github)

i then had a folder with all the xbmc files.
i added all of my add ons to the add ons folder....
changed up my default loading screens and icons etc.

repacked with apktool....

had it digitally signed with this zip tool (again i ama full newbie to compiling programs)

and what do you know i had an apk....
i installed the apk.....load up screen...perfect.....even was on my own skin....
then teh screen flashes and the skin gets set back to default, and none of my preconfigured settings like "file manager" to my servers internally or th login for the sigage network.

the other odd thing is that every add on or plugin cant be installed or unistalled (install/uninstall is greyed out)

so....

obviously i have done something super wrong....
and i want to throw that knowledge out and start over.

how or where can i learn to take the kodi you guys have.....in its source....add all my stuff to it, and have it create itself as a nice apk that i can install on our 24 screens without manually having to do each one?

thanks in advance, i am at a loss!

Big Grin

lost in the code that i never knew.

RE: preconfigured kodi before compiling? - krzmtl - 2015-02-09

just a follow up...

if there is a way to add or copy a file over to a decompiled apk that used apktool that wil ensure that the file manager and plugin's passwords or what seems like databased setting could be added before again using apk tool to pack i would also do that?

RE: preconfigured kodi before compiling? - krzmtl - 2015-02-09

i did find this....

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=189185&page=2
seemed to go off on a tangent with someone trying to sell some hardware.
so i wasnt exaxctly sure where this settings file is.

and i think setting might get me half way there with my issue.

just to clarify i am using a fork of kodi that i have changed branding on for internal use only.

but then the other issue of What would stop or grey out the uninstall/install buttons under add on information?

RE: preconfigured kodi before compiling? - voguemaster - 2015-02-12

I'm guessing being able to compile a new APK with your new settings and stuff will work, somehow. It might require some code changes into Kodi but I guess it is doable.
But, I don't think that's the real way to go.

We have a guy in our forums (not here..) that provides a simple Kodi installation with skins, addons, etc. He manages to do that by installing the software and then installing his
pre-configured package. Since everything in Kodi (settings, addons, thumbnails, whatever) is located in the user directory it is relatively easy to just unpack a pre-configured package
that has XMLs with all wanted settings, addons, etc.

If you configure Kodi once, just zip the whole content of Kodi's storage dir (you can find in the wiki, if not, post here). When you want to install, just unzip the whole thing to the same place. Essentially, this is what the backup addon does.

For Android though, it would of course be much easier to have this process automated. So, I've created a small Android app to do just that. It is currently set to download the other guy's package I mentioned but of course the project is open source and can be changed. Easy enough and doesn't require a lot of knowledge in Android compilation.
(basically requires the SDK, API level 15, build tools and Android studio).

Look at my GitHub repo:
https://github.com/voguemaster/SettingsDeployer

RE: preconfigured kodi before compiling? - Martijn - 2015-02-12

Nice tool. However, may I point you out that Kodi is trademark and as such may not be used in other application names?
http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Trademark_Policy

Sorry for this but we have to protect it.

RE: preconfigured kodi before compiling? - voguemaster - 2015-02-15

(2015-02-12, 21:07)Martijn Wrote: Nice tool. However, may I point you out that Kodi is trademark and as such may not be used in other application names?
http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Trademark_Policy

Sorry for this but we have to protect it.

Oh ok, not a problem. In that case, based on section 4.4 can I use the name "SettingsDeployer for Kodi" as the app's name?
I'll change the APK build name and package name as well, I don't really mind. I'll tend to that in the coming days.

RE: preconfigured kodi before compiling? - Martijn - 2015-02-15

yeah that sounds better. Thank you Smile
We really don't want to be the bad guy.

RE: preconfigured kodi before compiling? - voguemaster - 2015-02-16

Updated the github repo name, package name, etc. Hope it's good now.
Now I have to actually continue debugging why 14.1 crashes on my Rikomagic MK12 during boot. Technically, right after the splash screen finishes its thing.

RE: preconfigured kodi before compiling? - User 268503 - 2015-06-04

How can i extend the 4 minutes? My package download is really big and 4 minutes is not always enough time for people on slower network connections?

RE: preconfigured kodi before compiling? - User 268503 - 2015-06-04

(2015-02-12, 21:03)voguemaster Wrote: I'm guessing being able to compile a new APK with your new settings and stuff will work, somehow. It might require some code changes into Kodi but I guess it is doable.
But, I don't think that's the real way to go.

We have a guy in our forums (not here..) that provides a simple Kodi installation with skins, addons, etc. He manages to do that by installing the software and then installing his
pre-configured package. Since everything in Kodi (settings, addons, thumbnails, whatever) is located in the user directory it is relatively easy to just unpack a pre-configured package
that has XMLs with all wanted settings, addons, etc.

If you configure Kodi once, just zip the whole content of Kodi's storage dir (you can find in the wiki, if not, post here). When you want to install, just unzip the whole thing to the same place. Essentially, this is what the backup addon does.

For Android though, it would of course be much easier to have this process automated. So, I've created a small Android app to do just that. It is currently set to download the other guy's package I mentioned but of course the project is open source and can be changed. Easy enough and doesn't require a lot of knowledge in Android compilation.
(basically requires the SDK, API level 15, build tools and Android studio).

Look at my GitHub repo:
https://github.com/voguemaster/SettingsDeployer

How can i extend your 4 minute limit in the code? What file or where do i do thaT?

RE: preconfigured kodi before compiling? - Koying - 2015-06-05

What 4 minutes are you talking about?
Is it a "fully loaded" package you have to pay for to extend pass 4 minutes?

RE: preconfigured kodi before compiling? - User 268503 - 2015-06-06

I found it im sorry...i was looking for a way to extend the 4 minute wake lock.

I do have another question though...i created an empty folder. Inside it I put three folders: userdata, addons, and media. Then I zipped it.

Is this the correct file structure your program uses or did i do something wrong because i get extraction errors. Maybe your application is looking for a different file structure? Can you give me what it should really look like? For example: Kodi>Files>Userdata/media/addons. Something like that?

RE: preconfigured kodi before compiling? - User 268503 - 2015-07-12

No answer? I would like to know how to package the zip file...do i put userdata, media, addons, etc. in the root or do i put them inside a folder and then zip that folder up?

RE: preconfigured kodi before compiling? - Martijn - 2015-07-12

Why would you want do this?

RE: preconfigured kodi before compiling? - iwantnzb - 2015-07-13

Hi krzmtl,
I am interested in knowing about your internal signage network plugin. I am trying to do a similar thing in Kodi and was wondering if you would share your plugin here.

Thanks