Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- Numus - 2009-08-19

althekiller Wrote:Nor are we interested in the console scene anymore.
It is very sad that it has come to that.. Since the xbox console is what started it all and still used by many of us... Yes it is limited in hardware support and might be a little ugly, but it is incredibly cheap to mod and still does some amazing stuff for a 733mhz Celeron...
Geeba Wrote:2. its got that dev hated word in it Xbox!
Ya.. stupid xbox media center devs hate the word xbox...

- spiff - 2009-08-19

that's the point. xbox was an attractive piece of hw and far ahead of what you could build yourself at that time as far as price/speed ratio is concerned.

the current line of consoles are utter trash hw, either noisy as feck (360), handicapped beyond hope (ps3) or plain uninteresting (wii).

they're far from cheap compared to dedicated hw you can buy these days and they are locked down making for a pita dev environment, not being able to release binaries and all the crap we left behind. nothing to gain, all to loose. no thanks.

we're not going there again.

- Numus - 2009-08-19

spiff Wrote:that's the point. xbox was an attractive piece of hw and far ahead of what you could build yourself at that time as far as price/speed ratio is concerned.

the current line of consoles are utter trash hw, either noisy as feck (360), handicapped beyond hope (ps3) or plain uninteresting (wii).

they're far from cheap compared to dedicated hw you can buy these days and they are locked down making for a pita dev environment, not being able to release binaries and all the crap we left behind. nothing to gain, all to loose. no thanks.

Its sad microsoft never embrassed the concept of xbmc.. They are so stuck on windows media player and trying to integrate it into everything.. It was a piece of garbage the day they made the concept for it and it is a piece of garbage in its most current form...

- Freddo - 2009-08-19

spiff Wrote:that's the point. xbox was an attractive piece of hw and far ahead of what you could build yourself at that time as far as price/speed ratio is concerned.

Well put, why put so much effort into porting to consoles who take an active interest in making your work impossible.

- TIGuy82 - 2009-09-14

Is mesa3d.org a great help to the development of PS3 port?

Run XBMC for Linux on a PS3? - astfors - 2009-11-14

Hi, im trying to install xbmc to my ps3 unit, and i was wondering what would be the smoothest way to install it? Through installing k-/u-/x-buntu or try to install the XBMC Live from either a usb device or a cd-r disc, directly to the ps3 system?

Cheers! // astfors

- xbs08 - 2009-11-14

Easiest way is to look for ps3 in the forum.

- astfors - 2009-11-14

sorry, but i can´t really agree with you on that, i´ve have tried to search for "ps3" and all i get is guides how to get the Ps3 Bluetooth Remote work with the application/program "lirc". Nothing else, so can you please be kind enough to provide me with the links that you have in your mind?

- jonassw - 2009-11-14

Question is - does it even run properly on a PS3?

As far as I know the PS3 isn't exactly an i386/AMD64 processor?

- sho - 2009-11-14

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40236

- vikjon0 - 2009-11-14

There you go. Then I delete my post

- astfors - 2009-11-14

sho Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40236

Okay, put it that way and i understand that i won´t be able to add xbmc to my ps3 system, but what i can´t understand is why there are so many guides here on the forum to make the Ps3 Bluetooth remote function with the app lirc?

- sho - 2009-11-14

Because bluetooth is a standard and they are generally available?

- astfors - 2009-11-14

sho Wrote:Because bluetooth is a standard and they are generally available?

okey, just a extra device to control the unit with, instead of using a keyboard and mouse? sorry, i can´t see the point in it, if i would be the case.

- madcat - 2009-11-14

The main reason is it a bluetooth remote and people likes to hide their computer in a cupboard. Since bluetooth devices doesn't need a line of sight like a normal infra red remote does, you can happily controlling xbmc without pointing the remote to an infra red sensor!!