Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- natethomas - 2010-01-27

northern Wrote:So my question to you guys that now this shit in and out would then be: does this mean that I can finally start hoping yet again for the brilliant XBMC on my ps3 ?

Yes, the moment you or someone else starts coding it. I wish you the best!

XBMC for the PS3 - JackieBrown - 2010-03-29

Just kidding.

To all those who complained about this : They are removing linux support from the non-slim ps3 models so I think we can all be glad the xbmc devs didn't waste their time on this (even if that reason for due to not having access to the gpu and full memeory.)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/

- paul - 2010-03-29

It still won't stop people asking for itWink

- lazybones - 2010-04-02

People will not stop asking because of stuff like this:

Prolific hacker releases PlayStation exploit
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01/27/playstation_exploit_released/

Hacker pledges to re-enable Linux on PS3
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/03/31/ps3_hacker_fights_back/

Still totally useless until someone develops tools that enable acceleration for hacked applications and a way to load them.

- revengesrage - 2010-04-05

What compelled you to start a thread like this. Get real there will be no xbmc on ps3 even with linux running on it.
and Why the HELL are we talking about PS3, We should be talking about xbox 360 which has been completely Hacked Jtag ring a bell anyone!

- JackieBrown - 2010-04-05

revengesrage Wrote:What compelled you to start a thread like this. Get real there will be no xbmc on ps3 even with linux running on it.
and Why the HELL are we talking about PS3, We should be talking about xbox 360 which has been completely Hacked Jtag ring a bell anyone!

You are funny Laugh

- Montellese - 2010-04-05

revengesrage Wrote:What compelled you to start a thread like this. Get real there will be no xbmc on ps3 even with linux running on it.

Did you actually just read the thread title and posted this or did you also read what JackieBrown wrote in the first post? Wink

- lazybones - 2010-04-08

GeoHot has been able to restore the Other OS option after Sony removed it
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/07/geohot-brings-back-other-os-support-with-ps3-3-21oo-custom-firmw/

Still not a platform I own or am interested in.... Still costs more than a 360 or several other options. The only reason the first XBOX was a great platform was that for its size as a MCP it was also much cheaper than any other MCP at the time.

XBMC running on PS3 - madshaun1984 - 2010-05-14

Quote:Question: Can I run XBMC on PS3, Wii, Xbox360, or a set-top-box based on Sigma Design chip today?
Answer: No, you can't!

Example; just because XBMC runs on Linux and Linux runs on the PS3, by no means implies that XBMC for Linux works on the PS3. It doesn't, deal with it!

Today XBMC for Linux only support x86 CPUs (which the PS3/Wii/Xbox360 doesn't have), and more importantly XBMC Media Center GUI engine REQUIRES real hardware 3D acceleration (which is something that is not available under Linux on the PS3/Wii/Xbox360). These are just the most blaring problems, and there are many other hindering things as well, PLEASE JUST SEARCH THESE FORUMS!

If you think we're wrong and believe that XBMC can in fact run on the PS3/Wii/Xbox360 , then you are more than welcome to prove us wrong. XBMC is open source software after all and we would love to see your source code patches for this. However, we don't need updates on library 'X' that supplies 'Y' feature on the PS3/Wii/Xbox360. We don't want to hear your speculation and theories, (that is, unless you are an experienced C/C++ programmer and submit them with source code patches of course ).

All and any posts about XBMC on PS3/Wii/Xbox360 from this point forward can and most likely will be deleted or locked unless they're accompanied by source code patches.

All of the above goes ten fold for the Xbox 360 game console. If you want to try to port XBMC to XNA, then please just go ahead and fork the XBMC source code, as there wouldn't likely be much interchangeable code.

UPDATE: Yes we know that XBMC for Linux now compiles and runs on PowerPC and ARM processor-architecture, but again no, that still does not mean that XBMC for Linux will work on PS3, Wii, Xbox360, or a set-top-box based on Sigma Design chip today! It only means the XBMC source code is endian neutral now.

^ original post here

My proof that it can be done on a ps3 via OtherOS, its slow for the moment, but can be sped up by contributing to the mesa3d cell-driver project (I made this vid after succesfully compiling and launching xbmc on my ps3 today)

Proof:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnhcZGw7z3I

Time to support it as a viable port maybe?

- sho - 2010-05-14

Now all you have to do is get 3D acceleration working and we are golden!

- althekiller - 2010-05-14

madshaun1984 Wrote:^ original post here

My proof that it can be done on a ps3 via OtherOS, its slow for the moment, but can be sped up by contributing to the mesa3d cell-driver project (I made this vid after succesfully compiling and launching xbmc on my ps3 today)

Proof:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnhcZGw7z3I

Congrats, you've caught up with the xbox360 guys.

Quote:Time to support it as a viable port maybe?

No, especially with otheros being removed from official firmware.

We aren't up for the cat and mouse game anymore. Feel free to do your own thing of course.

- topfs2 - 2010-05-14

if you read developers posts you'll see that we have never stated that by not start, we have only stated that since there exist no graphic acceleration it will run but be dog slow. We don't define "working" to be 1-2 fps.

- madshaun1984 - 2010-05-15

topfs2 Wrote:if you read developers posts you'll see that we have never stated that by not start, we have only stated that since there exist no graphic acceleration it will run but be dog slow. We don't define "working" to be 1-2 fps.

There is a way to get 3d acceleration going for the ps3, the mesa3d cell-driver is potentially more than capable of doing the job, it just needs some work doing to it before it is usefull enough to do what we want.

Also I asked a few months ago, for help with getting xbmc installed on the ps3, via the IRC, and got basically told it could not be done, there are posts all over this site that say it cant be done, yet I have it installed, (all be it a little slow).

I have shown that the ps3 is a very viable option as even without any patching or hardware 3d acceleration, it still runs at a semi decent speed (its slow yeah, but not the 1-2 frames per second mentioned) I'm sure with some refinement and some patching this can be improved upon, to at least get emulation working via xbmc on the ps3 at a good speed for the time being till a driver is available).

The other reason my install is so slow, is the fact I installed it onto a usb hdd, and not the ps3's internal hdd, (I dont like to give up my space for the GameOS to linux so have never formatted my ps3 to create an otheros partition).

I think its sad to see a team that have created a much loved program, to give up before they have even tried. I can only hope that theres are others out there like me, that want to see xbmc running at a decent speed on the ps3 who havent given up hope.

- gabbott - 2010-05-15

madshaun1984 Wrote:There is a way to get 3d acceleration going for the ps3, the mesa3d cell-driver is potentially more than capable of doing the job, it just needs some work doing to it before it is usefull enough to do what we want.

Also I asked a few months ago, for help with getting xbmc installed on the ps3, via the IRC, and got basically told it could not be done, there are posts all over this site that say it cant be done, yet I have it installed, (all be it a little slow).

I have shown that the ps3 is a very viable option as even without any patching or hardware 3d acceleration, it still runs at a semi decent speed (its slow yeah, but not the 1-2 frames per second mentioned) I'm sure with some refinement and some patching this can be improved upon, to at least get emulation working via xbmc on the ps3 at a good speed for the time being till a driver is available).

The other reason my install is so slow, is the fact I installed it onto a usb hdd, and not the ps3's internal hdd, (I dont like to give up my space for the GameOS to linux so have never formatted my ps3 to create an otheros partition).

I think its sad to see a team that have created a much loved program, to give up before they have even tried. I can only hope that theres are others out there like me, that want to see xbmc running at a decent speed on the ps3 who havent given up hope.

The beauty of open source, get a team together and have at it.

The developers have already expressed they don't have interest in porting xbmc to any more gaming platforms.

- GregoryRasputin - 2010-05-15

No offense to the great XBMC team, who i have a lot of respect for, but i think you should search else where for help madshaun1984, as clearly the team don't have the capabilities or understanding of the PS3 platform.

Its just a damn shame that the ones who brought XBMC to the Xbox, PC and Mac are afraid to tackle the PS3 Sad