Kodi Community Forum
Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue (/showthread.php?tid=219614)

Pages: 1 2

Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue - InfoJunky - 2015-02-26

First Post!

(Please excuse me if this belongs in another section of the form, or if it's already been addressed. I'm on my fourth hour of searching for a clue.)

I have an ASUS Chromebox-M004U running OpenELEC 5.0.2 (only) with which I was using a PS3 remote. However, I was never able to find how to properly unpair the remote from my PS3 (not a big deal) and more importantly every time I shut down the connection was lost and the remote needed to be paired again.

Given this annoyance, I purchased a FireTV Stick remote. This remote stays paired through Reboot, but I have a different strange issue. I prefer my box to stay suspended so I can wake it with the remote (this worked fine with the PS3 remote), however now whenever I suspend the system it immediately wakes back up. Even if I'm not touching the remote. It's as if the remote continues to send signals to the system.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? Any idea why it waking my system back up?

Many thanks in advance for any input!

RE: Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue - Ladeef - 2015-03-10

I'm having the same issue, messing around with power settings didn't seem to do anything. Are you sure it's a remote issue? unpair the remote and try to suspend.

RE: Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue - ikecomp - 2015-03-10

I had the same problem. Either continue to use the PS3 remote or get a Flirc receiver. I never shutdown my chromebox as it uses very little power. I just suspend with the PS3 remote. I can wake it easily with the PS3 remote. If I select to reboot the chromebox from the menu with the ps3 remote it pairs again by itself. I'm on 4.2.1 openelec. Also, I had issues mapping the fire tv stick remote keys which is a whole other topic.

RE: Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue - InfoJunky - 2015-03-10

Ladeef - I'm sure it's the remote. I've found that if I have the setting activated to put the remote to sleep (I forget the name exactly but it's an option in the bluetooth menu) that it only seems to work if the screen saver is activated. Once the screen saver comes up, the remote goes to sleep and stops sending out signals to my box.

So instead of manually suspending, I have set the screen saver to come on after 3 minutes, and the box to automatically suspend at 10 minutes. So when I'm done watching I just set the remote down on my mantel where it won't be disturbed and turn my TV off. And the system automatically suspends 10 minutes later.

When I want to wake my box up, all I need to do is pick up the Fire TV Stick remote and just he motion of picking it up sends out a signal to wake the box. What was first an annoyance has ended up being a sort of cool feature.

ikecomp - With my specific setup, the PS3 remote would not automatically pair itself after reboot. And changing the mapping for the Fire TV Stick remote was super easy with the key map editor add-on that's available. Of course it has a more limited key set, but it fits my needs perfectly.

RE: Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue - Ladeef - 2015-03-10

I think the bluetooth option in elec is called standby?

Anyway that's a good workaround. I may try that.

I used the key mapper as well, works perfect.

RE: Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue - Ladeef - 2015-03-13

So far so good except for one thing regarding the Sleep mode. I think I've entered some sort of suspend loop. I accidentally woke up the CB without turning on the tv and receiver. Once I did that, the display came on ok but when I picked up the remote I lost the signal and the tv went blank. No it seems to be stuck not displaying, even powering the box on and off won't get it to respond.

RE: Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue - bym007 - 2015-03-19

Using the amazon fire tv stick remote, I am unable to switch on the box, once the remote fell asleep.

I am using it with OpenElec 5.x.x and trying to use the remote to wake up. But the remore does not awake the pc. Thw pc is asus chromebox.

What is the solution ?

RE: Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue - InfoJunky - 2015-03-19

@bym007 - which option did you select when pairing your remote in the BT menu? I believe I had to use only "connect" and not "trust and connect". But make sure you've tried both options. Mine has worked to wake my box for weeks now, without issue.

RE: Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue - bym007 - 2015-03-19

I used Connect and Trust option when I set it up. I will try connect only option next time and see the results.

How does one preserve battery life of the bluetooth remote?

RE: Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue - InfoJunky - 2015-03-19

(2015-03-19, 11:48)bym007 Wrote: How does one preserve battery life of the bluetooth remote?

In the OpenElec -> Bluetooth Menu, select your connection and then "Enable Standby"

This option will allow your remote to go to sleep when not in use, and preserve battery life.

However, what I have found with my specific scenario, is the remote will only enter Standby mode when the Screen Saver is activated. Therefor, like I described above, I use the time out feature to suspend my box and set the screen saver to activate on a shorter time limit. And I no longer suspend manually. When I'm done using it, I sit the remote down and walk away.

RE: Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue - bym007 - 2015-03-20

So, it sleeps with the screen saver. And how do you wake it up ?

RE: Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue - InfoJunky - 2015-03-20

(2015-03-20, 04:07)bym007 Wrote: So, it sleeps with the screen saver. And how do you wake it up ?

Just pick it up and press a button once or twice. It usually takes 2 or 3 seconds to wake up.

RE: Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue - Ladeef - 2015-03-26

Thanks @InfoJunky, this setup is working well for me. My suspend loop turned out to be a bad hdmi cable.

RE: Help Request: ASUS Chromebox + FireTV Stick Remote Suspend Issue - bym007 - 2015-04-19

(2015-03-20, 04:10)InfoJunky Wrote:
(2015-03-20, 04:07)bym007 Wrote: So, it sleeps with the screen saver. And how do you wake it up ?

Just pick it up and press a button once or twice. It usually takes 2 or 3 seconds to wake up.
I tried your suggestion and it works good. Normally I dont need to press any key as well, it just wakes up automagically.