Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - gilsonsjc - 2015-11-06

Hey guys: I am looking for a device to replace my 2011 Boxee Box (which is running really fine, problem is lack of 4k support). so I have some questions about the Nvidia Shield I could not have found the answers to - would you help me?

- Does it support DTS (DTS MA, DTS:X) and Dolby (TrueHD, Atmos) passthrough (I do not need decode, just to send the HD sound as is to the receiver) from movies stored at SMB shares?
- Does it play BD ISO files?

Thanks

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Hiphopopotamus - 2015-11-06

Please read at least a couple of pages of the thread before asking your question, you will be amazed at what answers you will find posted here about 48,567 times already.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-11-06

(2015-11-06, 05:15)gilsonsjc Wrote: Hey guys: I am looking for a device to replace my 2011 Boxee Box (which is running really fine, problem is lack of 4k support). so I have some questions about the Nvidia Shield I could not have found the answers to - would you help me?

- Does it support DTS (DTS MA, DTS:X) and Dolby (TrueHD, Atmos) passthrough (I do not need decode, just to send the HD sound as is to the receiver) from movies stored at SMB shares?
- Does it play BD ISO files?

Thanks

Or done a little searching: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228158

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - MDDSD - 2015-11-06

Does anyone know if it should be possible to playback 4K AVC Hi10p on the Shield using KODI?
I read in this thread that 1080p AVC Hi10p should be doable if turning off HW acceleration...

The playback is very choppy and when pressing the o-key I see that all four cores are at 100%...

Here's the media info:

ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 59mn 47s
Bit rate : 20.5 Mbps
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 24.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.103
Stream size : 8.56 GiB (96%)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - DTMHibbert - 2015-11-06

Hi All, i have been following this forum for a while now so decided its times to make an account,

i looking at purchasing a Shield TV soon and from i can gather reading this particular thread is that everything but Bit-Streaming HD audio is now working? can kodi decode the hd audio streams and send it as PCM to my soundbar - (YSP-2500) will be buying this at the same time as the shield tv.

Thanks All -just a little confused with the different builds and bugs in each.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - drhill - 2015-11-06

DTMHibbert, it will decode the HD audio streams properly to PCM, but using a soundbar isn't going show off any difference between legacy codecs and the newer HD codecs (lossless or not). Obviously if you only ripped HD tracks you want to play them, but DTS HD* tracks have the legacy DTS codec with the HD stream. That legacy DTS track can be bitstreamed from the box. I believe TrueHD has no requirement for having a core track embedded, I can't think of any discs that didn't just have an additional AC-3 track to go with the lossless track. Still Kodi decodes TrueHD fine as well.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Hiphopopotamus - 2015-11-06

(2015-11-06, 14:08)MDDSD Wrote: Does anyone know if it should be possible to playback 4K AVC Hi10p on the Shield using KODI?
I read in this thread that 1080p AVC Hi10p should be doable if turning off HW acceleration...

The playback is very choppy and when pressing the o-key I see that all four cores are at 100%...

I gather you read back here where Tinwarble and I tested a Hi10P, and it played back fine with HW turned off.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220297&pid=2044503#pid2044503

After that, a change was being implemented to Kodi to automatically turn HW decoding off for Hi10P.
I am playing that same 1080P Hi10p sample now on Kodi 16 nightly from the 29th, and it was fine without me having to turn HW off, so it is obviously working as it should.Actually, there were two stutters in it. CPU cores seem to sit around 30-50%, with a peak of 80%.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Ogreen - 2015-11-06

Hello,
Do you think it will be better for kodi coder's to wait android v6 for HD sound support ?
On the official forum, someone told about android v6 available at the end of december (don't know if it's true Wink )

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Koying - 2015-11-06

(2015-11-06, 15:27)Ogreen Wrote: Do you think it will be better for kodi coder's to wait android v6 for HD sound support ?

HD Audio is already there in the Shield, just not in Kodi.
V6 won't make a difference, as Nvidia already backported DTS/DTS-HD from V6 and even TrueHD from nowhere Wink

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Ogreen - 2015-11-06

(2015-11-06, 15:41)Koying Wrote:
(2015-11-06, 15:27)Ogreen Wrote: Do you think it will be better for kodi coder's to wait android v6 for HD sound support ?

V6 won't make a difference, as Nvidia already backported DTS/DTS-HD from V6 and even TrueHD from nowhere Wink

OK thanks
It's possible to use native google player with kodi ?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-11-06

(2015-11-06, 14:55)Hiphopopotamus Wrote:
(2015-11-06, 14:08)MDDSD Wrote: Does anyone know if it should be possible to playback 4K AVC Hi10p on the Shield using KODI?

I gather you read back here where Tinwarble and I tested a Hi10P, and it played back fine with HW turned off.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220297&pid=2044503#pid2044503

After that, a change was being implemented to Kodi to automatically turn HW decoding off for Hi10P.
I am playing that same 1080P Hi10p sample now on Kodi 16 nightly from the 29th, and it was fine without me having to turn HW off, so it is obviously working as it should.Actually, there were two stutters in it. CPU cores seem to sit around 30-50%, with a peak of 80%.

Yes, but he is trying to play 4K Hi10, which probably isn't going to work.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - querty1000 - 2015-11-06

means no-one works for HD audio on KODI?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Koying - 2015-11-06

(2015-11-06, 16:38)querty1000 Wrote:

means no-one works for HD audio on KODI?

*sigh*
not in Kodi *yet*

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - MDDSD - 2015-11-06

Quote:Yes, but he is trying to play 4K Hi10, which probably isn't going to work.

Yes that's right I'm trying to play a 4K AVC Hi10 file and the Shield seems to struggle...

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - SofaKng - 2015-11-06

(2015-11-06, 16:53)Koying Wrote: *sigh*
not in Kodi *yet*
Oh, I thought it was already implemented. That's very disappointing but I know these things take time (lots of time) to implement. Is this planned for Kodi 16 (Jarvis) or perhaps later?

Also, does Kodi for Nvidia Shield support 3D MVC?