Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - tiqq2 - 2015-11-17

(2015-11-17, 16:19)hdmkv Wrote: [*]Use this Amazon add-on via Kodi
I was thinking that this addon no longer works since amazon made some changes...
At least for germany.
Am I wrong?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - hdmkv - 2015-11-17

Still works in U.S. where I am.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Maverikkk - 2015-11-19

Hello guys,

I have a question for you, I would like to but nvidia shield tv buy I have read about a lot of problem with audio pass through.
This would be my configuration shiled -> tv (hdmi) tv-> amplifier (spdif)
I have to play my own collection of films (1080/4k). With this kind of configuration do you have any problem to stream 5.1 dts/dolby to your amplifier?

thanks a lot

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Topken - 2015-11-19

(2015-11-19, 01:33)Maverikkk Wrote: Hello guys,

I have a question for you, I would like to but nvidia shield tv buy I have read about a lot of problem with audio pass through.
I have to play my own collection of films (1080/4k). With this kind of configuration do you have any problem to stream 5.1 dts/dolby to your amplifier?

thanks a lot

That configuration depends on what your TV does to incoming audio and whether or not it is able to pass 5.1 from HDMI to the toslink/spdif output. Many TV's downgrade the audio to stereo PCM only.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - hdmkv - 2015-11-19

(2015-11-17, 18:43)hdmkv Wrote: Still works in U.S. where I am.
Spoke too soon. Amazon video add-on works no more it seems.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Spellman - 2015-11-19

You can try an audio extractor, hdmi>hdmi + SPDIF out ($25-$40 on amazon). That way you can bypass the TV, which mine was dumbing it down to 2 channel PCM. I just got my extractor in moments ago and it seems to be working...ok. When watching live streamed tv in kodi the audio stutters for a couple seconds after seeking, which is supper annoying. You will be limited to formats that spdif supports of coarse, which isn't really an end game for this device. At some point a compatible receiver my be needed as some apps only support the newer HD audio formats (netflix, maybe hulu?, sling gives me stereo). I have been trying to wait as long as I can before investing in a new receiver (prices come down, new standards become legit), but I may have to bite the bullet as mine is just too old to support any of the new formats that have come out. I was really hoping to get by for another year or two before I double down and upgrade to a big badass one, but may have to rethink that.

Another route may be to try a USB sound card to go to spdif. The shield supposedly supports them now, but there is little to no info on what or how well it works. If it could get me to no audio stutter in live tv, I'd maybe think about it to get me by for awhile. Right now I don't know if my settings are right in kodi, if my extractor is not up to par, or my receiver is dropping the ball giving me these minor issues.

Anyone else try any USB surround cards? This thread could really use some info on that if anyone has something they could even hook up and test for us.

Yeah could someone give the turtle beach USB soundcard a try on the shield and report back if it works correctly with SPDIF? I ask becuase that is a popular cheap option around here since it only goes for roughly $25 on amazon.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wesk05 - 2015-11-19

(2015-11-19, 06:50)Topken Wrote: Yeah could someone give the turtle beach USB soundcard a try on the shield and report back if it works correctly with SPDIF? I ask becuase that is a popular cheap option around here since it only goes for roughly $25 on amazon.
It has already been tested to work on SATV and possibly with Kodi also. Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II

As the first post in the thread you linked to says it works with Kodi to pass things like DTS and DD over to a compatible AVR. So yes it works perfectly wwith KODI on the Shield TV but only does stereo PCM with things like Netflix,Youtube and I presume Hulu as well.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Maverikkk - 2015-11-19

Yes, my tv support Dolby Digital and dts pass through.
I have read about a lot of problem with netflix, and so on...is the problem caused from these apllication? and not from kodi?

(2015-11-19, 02:03)Topken Wrote:
(2015-11-19, 01:33)Maverikkk Wrote: Hello guys,

thanks a lot

That configuration depends on what your TV does to incoming audio and whether or not it is able to pass 5.1 from HDMI to the toslink/spdif output. Many TV's downgrade the audio to stereo PCM only.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-11-19

(2015-11-19, 08:16)Maverikkk Wrote: Yes, my tv support Dolby Digital and dts pass through.
I have read about a lot of problem with netflix, and so on...is the problem caused from these apllication? and not from kodi?

The problem with Netflix is that it uses EAC3 and if you're using ARC your TV has to support EAC3 which some TVs don't.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/840181/shield-android-tv/setup-help-for-netflix-5-1-surround-sound/

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Ritzie - 2015-11-20

Has anyone noticed a slowdown on nvidia shield when using advancesettings for mysql? It was working flawlessly but now its extremely slow and moves, shows aren't updating. I thought I briefly saw someone mention it but cannot find it now.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Hiphopopotamus - 2015-11-20

(2015-11-20, 00:36)Ritzie Wrote: Has anyone noticed a slowdown on nvidia shield when using advancesettings for mysql?

Fine for me. The only issue I had was when for a short time I didn't have all devices on the same version of Kodi.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - JmJ17 - 2015-11-22

(2015-11-20, 00:36)Ritzie Wrote: Has anyone noticed a slowdown on nvidia shield when using advancesettings for mysql? It was working flawlessly but now its extremely slow and moves, shows aren't updating. I thought I briefly saw someone mention it but cannot find it now.

I'm using a MySQL server and it works flawlessly.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - PantsOnFire - 2015-11-22

Did you guys see this?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3006532/streaming-media/here-s-how-google-wants-to-make-android-tv-worth-caring-about.html