Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - sandogo1 - 2015-11-23

How well does the harmony remote work on the shield or are we better off with the stock shield remote you can buy?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Hiphopopotamus - 2015-11-23

Harmony's work well with restrictions. Search in this thread for a few setups that we done.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - dave77 - 2015-11-23

(2015-11-22, 13:13)PantsOnFire Wrote: Did you guys see this?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3006532/streaming-media/here-s-how-google-wants-to-make-android-tv-worth-caring-about.html

A shame there is no mention of them pushing Amazon for Prime content

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - RockerC - 2015-11-23

(2015-11-23, 12:16)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-11-23, 12:13)PantsOnFire Wrote:
(2015-11-23, 04:19)Topken Wrote: Hmm wonder if Nvidia has noticed that people are using this as a media center far more then a gaming platform so are now including the remote instead of just the gamepad.

Could be.
But also, what has to be obvious to them is that all the competitors have a refreshed model come out lately. Obviously Christmas coming too... has to be the best chance of selling them. Most of the other players bundle remotes.

Actually they told some usage numbers when we visited but not sure if we are allowed to share those in public Smile
Please, if possible check with them if it would be ok to share and get back to us! Would make an interested blog/news post too.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - TornadoTJ - 2015-11-23

(2015-11-23, 14:14)sandogo1 Wrote: How well does the harmony remote work on the shield or are we better off with the stock shield remote you can buy?

It works perfectly. Here is what I have learned you have to do.
When setting up an activity, select Watch Movie, not Watch TV. If you select Watch TV, you will not be able to control the Shield with the remote because it will map the controls to your TV.
The sideways U-Turn button (return) is not mapped. You will have to map this to "Back" manually.

Other than that, it works fine. I have a Harmony 650, a Harmony One, and a Harmony Hub ultimate, and have tested all of these.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - nikc0069 - 2015-11-23

Running great but refresh rate only switches when exiting to home screen and moving back to full screen on jarvis beta 2.anything else I should be doing or does the refresh rate switch only work on 15. 2 rc3 for now?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Hiphopopotamus - 2015-11-24

(2015-11-23, 21:16)TornadoTJ Wrote:
(2015-11-23, 14:14)sandogo1 Wrote: How well does the harmony remote work on the shield or are we better off with the stock shield remote you can buy?

It works perfectly. Here is what I have learned you have to do.
When setting up an activity, select Watch Movie, not Watch TV. If you select Watch TV, you will not be able to control the Shield with the remote because it will map the controls to your TV.
The sideways U-Turn button (return) is not mapped. You will have to map this to "Back" manually.

When you create an activity, it asks you what device control what function, ie Audio – TV or AVR, Video TV or Shield etc…
What activity button you set it to is irrelevant. While doing two different setups I have had it set to Listen to Music and Watch TV, never Watch Movie as my WD TV (now retired) was on that.
Customising some buttons is normal.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Cincinnatus - 2015-11-24

(2015-03-04, 18:24)hdmkv Wrote: This looks very interesting. Was considering the Razer Forge, but may just hold out for this.
Just checked their website. Amazing how similar it is to the Nvidia Shield TV website from the template/design right down to the color scheme. Enough to make you wonder...

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - hdmkv - 2015-11-24

You pulled out an ancient quote (by tech standards) of mine Wink. Razer is apparently doubling down on Android TV and gaming, and having since acquired OUYA, plans to release new hardware.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-11-24

(2015-11-24, 18:04)Cincinnatus Wrote: Just checked their website. Amazing how similar it is to the Nvidia Shield TV website from the template/design right down to the color scheme. Enough to make you wonder...

No......no it doesn't.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - nikc0069 - 2015-11-25

Loving the shield TV. One thing though. If I set it to switch refresh rates and I play a 23.976 file to my projector, I see the projector switch to 24hz. I then get judder every 40 seconds.

Same file on the pi2 would not display this behaviour ie the judder with the same settings. Am I missing something for smooth 23.976 playback?

EDIT: On a second look it appears it may just be the file. Nothing to see here...

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - hifiaudio2 - 2015-11-25

(2015-11-24, 18:04)Cincinnatus Wrote:
(2015-03-04, 18:24)hdmkv Wrote: This looks very interesting. Was considering the Razer Forge, but may just hold out for this.
Just checked their website. Amazing how similar it is to the Nvidia Shield TV website from the template/design right down to the color scheme. Enough to make you wonder...

The Razer Forge came out first, a few months before. Maybe Nvidia copied them, except they forgot to make the Shield a complete piece of crap. So a bad copy..... Smile

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - joseacevedo - 2015-11-25

Hey hello everybody , the shield is going to be $ 139 at frys electronic this Friday. Between the shield and the Asrock beebox which is better

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-11-25

(2015-11-25, 03:20)hifiaudio2 Wrote: The Razer Forge came out first, a few months before. Maybe Nvidia copied them, except they forgot to make the Shield a complete piece of crap. So a bad copy..... Smile

........Rofl

(2015-11-25, 04:15)joseacevedo Wrote: Hey hello everybody , the shield is going to be $ 139 at frys electronic this Friday. Between the shield and the Asrock beebox which is better

Depends on your use case. What do you expect out of a box?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - mwake - 2015-11-25

Sorry, tried searching through forum, just wanted to get an update on weather hd audio within Kodi had been resolved successfully...this is the only issue stopping me from buying this....