Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2015-11-25

(2015-11-25, 14:34)mwake Wrote: Sorry, tried searching through forum, just wanted to get an update on weather hd audio within Kodi had been resolved successfully...this is the only issue stopping me from buying this....

I think the answer is - Not yet, but it is being worked on.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - mwake - 2015-11-25

(2015-11-25, 14:44)noggin Wrote:
(2015-11-25, 14:34)mwake Wrote: Sorry, tried searching through forum, just wanted to get an update on weather hd audio within Kodi had been resolved successfully...this is the only issue stopping me from buying this....

I think the answer is - Not yet, but it is being worked on.
Thanks for reply. Sorry I should have been more clear. I am wondering if you can passthrough even basic DD 5.1 sound to av amp from within kodi. I may have confused my self with HD audio like DTS master hd etc, in not bothered about those 'advanced' sound formats. I'm happy to buy the device if Kodi and box can passthrough those basic 5.1 DD streams.

Discussing the plugins you mention is not allowed here...

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - mwake - 2015-11-25

(2015-11-25, 15:35)noggin Wrote: Discussing the plugins you mention is not allowed here...
Sorry I've edited post[THUMBS UP SIGN]

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - PantsOnFire - 2015-11-25

Anyone here using their SATV for live TV signals?
I'm really keen on the shield, and love the idea of it receiving my live TV signal. But as far as my knowledge goes.... the only option is to buy a HDHOMERUN box to pipe the aerial signal through to Ethernet. And while I love that idea. Those boxes cost £100 in the UK!

Are there any cheaper ways of doing this?

The Shield has less-than-great deinterlacing performance by all accounts, probably not a good fit for Live TV.

Raspberry Pi 2 with a cheap DVB-T2 USB dongle (with Linux driver support) will do a good job at a much lower price, and a Chromebox with a DVB-T2 dongle will be cracking. (Official OpenElec platforms usually better for Live TV as they usually support a good range of USB tuners, which are cheaper than networked tuners like the HDHR. Unofficial OE platforms may have less-good tuner support)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Uukrul - 2015-11-25

(2015-11-25, 16:55)noggin Wrote: The Shield has less-than-great deinterlacing performance by all accounts, probably not a good fit for Live TV.

Could someone try the HD 1080i Test Pattern videos from this avsforum thread?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Justkidding - 2015-11-25

Hello everybody,

I am thinking about buying the SATV.
I read somewhere that the picture quality of the SATV is not as good as other Kodi Players.
Is this only true for interlaced content?
Is the picture quality for 1080p / 720p content the same as with a beebox for example?

Thanks and best regards,
justkidding

The only question marks I've heard about Shield picture quality have been with regard to deinterlacing of natively interlaced content. AIUI it does a crude Bob - not a software YADIF 2x or any hardware acceleration. This will be visible as reduced vertical resolution.

If you're in the UK with a source of DVB-T2/S2 live TV the BBC News Channel in HD is a good quick-and-dirty deinterlacing test. If the ticker is combing you aren't deinterlacing properly. If the ticker is not as fluid as you'd normally see it (but there is no combing) then chances are you are doing a half-deinterlace (i.e. converting to 25p not 50p). If you see the motion is a bit jerky and irregular, chances are you are watching 50Hz at 60Hz. If the static BBC News logo permanently on the screen looks a bit blocky, chances are you are being Bob deinterlaced rather than anything better. (None of this is particularly relevant to the online streams of the BBC News Channel by the way)

I've not really seen much discussion of the other picture quality issue - 16-235->0-255 scaling which can introduce banding.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - max90 - 2015-11-25

The only problem I notice regarding picture quality is colour banding the same file's through my pvr media player, tv media player and intel nuc, no banding but I get it with the sheild, I've had 2 and both the same. It's not huge but its there. Hope nvidia sort it out.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - FattyMcDirty - 2015-11-25

So... which version actually switches framerate correctly?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Martijn - 2015-11-25

(2015-11-25, 18:04)FattyMcDirty Wrote: So... which version actually switches framerate correctly?
15.2 and up

(2015-11-25, 17:59)max90 Wrote: The only problem I notice regarding picture quality is colour banding the same file's through my pvr media player, tv media player and intel nuc, no banding but I get it with the sheild, I've had 2 and both the same. It's not huge but its there. Hope nvidia sort it out.

Ah - sounds like they are running 0-255 internally? (or the 10 bit equivalent)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2015-11-25

(2015-11-25, 17:34)Uukrul Wrote:
(2015-11-25, 16:55)noggin Wrote: The Shield has less-than-great deinterlacing performance by all accounts, probably not a good fit for Live TV.

Could someone try the HD 1080i Test Pattern videos from this avsforum thread?
Someone experienced who knows what they are doing, and knows the differences between blurry Bob Software deinterlacing and quality Hardware deinterlacing. SD resolution deinterlacing will show the greatest differences between the two.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - kcolbe - 2015-11-25

Pardon me if this has already been asked (I've searched but couldn't find the topic) but, will there ever be a port of Kodi to run as the native OS for Nvidia Shield TV? Similar to the version for WeTek Play or Raspberry Pi? I'm not a gamer and honestly don't care for Android TV OS...I just love the hardware and would like my Nvidia Shield TV to boot directly to Kodi...Thanks in advance, happy Thanksgiving to all!