Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - mahockey - 2015-11-29

(2015-11-28, 23:00)pappaganush Wrote: Hi,

Has anybody run into problems regarding wake up from sleep and HDMI handshakes with the Shield? I do not have a shield (yet anyhow) but have a Nexus Player also based on Android TV with which I have issues. Connected to my Panasonic plasma directly I do not have any problems but I cannot wake the device up from sleep if connected to the TV through my Pioneer AVR (only sound is heard but image remains black). Do any of you have any issues like this with the Shield (as both devices are based on Android TV)? I have seen mentioned issues similar on the Nvidia forum but the posts are inconclusive. Just asking before I invest my money in yet another box... Any input would be welcome!

(2015-11-29, 01:15)artou Wrote:

Has anybody run into problems regarding wake up from sleep and HDMI handshakes with the Shield? I do not have a shield (yet anyhow) but have a Nexus Player also based on Android TV with which I have issues. Connected to my Panasonic plasma directly I do not have any problems but I cannot wake the device up from sleep if connected to the TV through my Pioneer AVR (only sound is heard but image remains black). Do any of you have any issues like this with the Shield (as both devices are based on Android TV)? I have seen mentioned issues similar on the Nvidia forum but the posts are inconclusive. Just asking before I invest my money in yet another box... Any input would be welcome!

Handshaking yes, check this thread:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/877833/shield-android-tv/issue-with-flashing-video/

Ahhhh balls this could be a show stopper for me, and has me considering cancelling my order/delivery.

One of the main reasons I was purchasing the Nvidia Shield was because I was having similar HDMI drop outs using Rpi2--->Panasonic AVR--->BenQ W1070+ projector.

I found a bit of a work around which involved turning down the resolution of the KODI gui but I didn't like the loss in image quality of menus etc.
It did reduce the HDMI drop outs whilst watching PVR/HD streams from my STB via Vu+ add on. But I was hoping the buying a Nvidia would resolve this, but reading the forum linked above some users are experiencing identical issues using the Nvidia shield.

Boooooooooo

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - pappaganush - 2015-11-29

(2015-11-29, 12:24)mahockey Wrote:

(2015-11-29, 01:15)artou Wrote:

Handshaking yes, check this thread:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/877833/shield-android-tv/issue-with-flashing-video/

Ahhhh balls this could be a show stopper for me, and has me considering cancelling my order/delivery.

One of the main reasons I was purchasing the Nvidia Shield was because I was having similar HDMI drop outs using Rpi2--->Panasonic AVR--->BenQ W1070+ projector.

I found a bit of a work around which involved turning down the resolution of the KODI gui but I didn't like the loss in image quality of menus etc.
It did reduce the HDMI drop outs whilst watching PVR/HD streams from my STB via Vu+ add on. But I was hoping the buying a Nvidia would resolve this, but reading the forum linked above some users are experiencing identical issues using the Nvidia shield.

Boooooooooo

From what I gather from other fora it is very manufacturer dependent. I have already written to Pioneer support but haven't got any reply yet.
I have seriously considered buying a new AVR by bringing my media player to the local electronics store to test the new AVR before purchase. It seems Denon, Pioneer and from the quote Panasonic is most often reported as affected. Sony is maybe an option...
An annoying problem to say the least!

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - gkf9 - 2015-11-29

Well finally got round to setting up the Nvidea and got as far as plugging everything, wouldn't power up, peeved to say the least.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2015-11-29

(2015-11-29, 12:24)mahockey Wrote: One of the main reasons I was purchasing the Nvidia Shield was because I was having similar HDMI drop outs using Rpi2--->Panasonic AVR--->BenQ W1070+ projector.
There was a known problem on the Pi which got resolved, which was usually the cause of drop-outs when connected via an AVR. The Pi/Pi 2 would vary its HDMI clock rate slightly to avoid dropping/duping frames. Most TVs were happy with this variation, but many AVRs weren't and lost sync (so you got a video drop out on your amp).

This was fixed with new firmware and a config.txt setting "hdmi_clock_change_limit" which allowed you to limit the speed the clock could change (the numbers were different between Pi and PI 2). (The ODroid C1 had a very similar issue too)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - i_am_jond - 2015-11-29

(2015-11-29, 11:02)Milster Wrote: Managed to bag one of these on the amazon offer the other day.

Apologies if these questions have been asked before, is there a way to use a wireless xbox 360 controller and what are any reasonably priced bluetooth keyboards with track pads that work well with this

Thanks

Not got mine yet, but my understanding is the 360 controler works if you use the Windows USB Wireless Receiver.

Have heard the Logitech K400 recomended in a few places. I already have one for my Pi, works fine as a compact full size keyboard and trackpad.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Milster - 2015-11-29

(2015-11-29, 13:36)i_am_jond Wrote:
(2015-11-29, 11:02)Milster Wrote: Managed to bag one of these on the amazon offer the other day.

Apologies if these questions have been asked before, is there a way to use a wireless xbox 360 controller and what are any reasonably priced bluetooth keyboards with track pads that work well with this

Thanks

Not got mine yet, but my understanding is the 360 controler works if you use the Windows USB Wireless Receiver.

Have heard the Logitech K400 recomended in a few places. I already have one for my Pi, works fine as a compact full size keyboard and trackpad.

Thanks, I'll look into it

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Spellman - 2015-11-29

Logitech k400 works great. I don't have the xbox 360 remote, but I do have the ms media center rc6 remote with a usb receiver and it does not work. I believe the xbox remote uses the same commands as the rc6. Someone else chime in if they got it to work though. My understanding is if you get a FLIRC you could get about any remote to work. Right now I have the keyboard hooked up, using the gamepad, and have a firetv stick remote connected. I still have to have my receiver remote out too, getting a lot of remotes piled up now. I've got the inteset 4-in-1 remote on my christmas list, fingers crossed it will cut those down a bit.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Milster - 2015-11-29

(2015-11-29, 16:41)Spellman Wrote: Logitech k400 works great. I don't have the xbox 360 remote, but I do have the ms media center rc6 remote with a usb receiver and it does not work. I believe the xbox remote uses the same commands as the rc6. Someone else chime in if they got it to work though. My understanding is if you get a FLIRC you could get about any remote to work. Right now I have the keyboard hooked up, using the gamepad, and have a firetv stick remote connected. I still have to have my receiver remote out too, getting a lot of remotes piled up now. I've got the inteset 4-in-1 remote on my christmas list, fingers crossed it will cut those down a bit.

Thanks but I'm actually talking about a 360 controller for gaming. Looks like it'll be the logitek keyboard though

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - mahockey - 2015-11-29

(2015-11-29, 12:52)noggin Wrote:
(2015-11-29, 12:24)mahockey Wrote: One of the main reasons I was purchasing the Nvidia Shield was because I was having similar HDMI drop outs using Rpi2--->Panasonic AVR--->BenQ W1070+ projector.
There was a known problem on the Pi which got resolved, which was usually the cause of drop-outs when connected via an AVR. The Pi/Pi 2 would vary its HDMI clock rate slightly to avoid dropping/duping frames. Most TVs were happy with this variation, but many AVRs weren't and lost sync (so you got a video drop out on your amp).

This was fixed with new firmware and a config.txt setting "hdmi_clock_change_limit" which allowed you to limit the speed the clock could change (the numbers were different between Pi and PI 2). (The ODroid C1 had a very similar issue too)
Cheers Noggin for the heads up.

Anywhere i can read more on this problem/resolution for Rpi2 ?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2015-11-29

(2015-11-29, 21:57)mahockey Wrote:
(2015-11-29, 12:52)noggin Wrote:

Cheers Noggin for the heads up.

Anywhere i can read more on this problem/resolution for Rpi2 ?

Try typing "hdmi_clock_change_limit" into the Forum search box? There are a couple of threads there that might be of use.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - fre4ki - 2015-11-29

Hi everyone,

i receive my nvidia shield in a few days.

Have anyone experience with USB DVB-C sticks? What is supported under a android/kodi-app system?

fre4ki

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2015-11-30

(2015-11-29, 23:53)fre4ki Wrote: Hi everyone,

i receive my nvidia shield in a few days.

Have anyone experience with USB DVB-C sticks? What is supported under a android/kodi-app system?

fre4ki

Not sure many/any are - think most Android Kodi installs are using HD Homerun-style network tuners or TVHeadend/VDR/MythTV backends running on other platforms and connecting over a network to a PVR client in Kodi. There has been TV Headend work in Android - but I've got a feeling you might need to be root to install it to be able to install the DVB drivers you need?

In other words - I don't think the Live TV tuner/server backend stuff really sits well on Android at the moment.

Apologies if I'm wrong.

Have a look at the DVB-C HD Homerun? That should work for unencrypted DVB-C stuff if that is an option for you. Don't think it accepts a CAM + Viewing card though.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Vidman - 2015-11-30

Yes a hd homerun is your best option i believe the hdhomerun pvr addon has recently been added to the official repository so there is no need to run another tv backend software with it.
Note i believe the hd homerun needs to be a dlna model

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - djhifi - 2015-11-30

Probably a stupid question, but I mod my kodi alot, and make heavy usage of SMB control, from my pc to my KODIS, to transfer ZIP files. Is this possible with nvidia shield?
I mean does it create the "update", "pictures", "backup", etc folders or... ?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2015-11-30

(2015-11-30, 02:55)Vidman Wrote: Yes a hd homerun is your best option i believe the hdhomerun pvr addon has recently been added to the official repository so there is no need to run another tv backend software with it.
Note i believe the hd homerun needs to be a dlna model
A standalone Server and appropriate backend software is still required if you need to record with a PVR. If you are recording and viewing un-encrypted over the air channels, you would be better putting in the effort to setup an Ethernet connected TV server. Noggin and myself are running such TV servers using a cheap ODROID C1+ at the moment.