Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Vidman - 2015-11-30

Wrxtasy is correct to record requires other backend software

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - noggin - 2015-11-30

(2015-11-30, 06:01)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-11-30, 02:55)Vidman Wrote: Yes a hd homerun is your best option i believe the hdhomerun pvr addon has recently been added to the official repository so there is no need to run another tv backend software with it.
Note i believe the hd homerun needs to be a dlna model
A standalone Server and appropriate backend software is still required if you need to record with a PVR. If you are recording and viewing un-encrypted over the air channels, you would be better putting in the effort to setup an Ethernet connected TV server. Noggin and myself are running such TV servers using a cheap ODROID C1+ at the moment.

I'm trying to run mine using a C1, but unfortunately because ODroid are using an old kernel, and I'm struggling to build a newer set of V4L drivers to support my DVB-T2 tuners (as the V4L Media_Build stuff falls over due to missing stuff in the kernel headers), I've filed the ODroid in the 'shows promise but doesn't quite deliver' drawer again, and returned to a Pi 2 for DVB-T2 TV Headend server duties. (For DVB-S2 I'm running various Windows boxes and DVBLogic's TV Source software still.)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Ogreen - 2015-11-30

Hello,
I saw that Himedia player use a HimediaWrapper to replace the internal video player in Kodi with the HiMedia video player app.And then they can have HD sound bitstream available Wink
Do you thinks it will be possible to do the same thing with the shield ? waiting for the kodi 17 launch with HD sound support Wink

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - setumismo - 2015-11-30

Ogreen, its good idea!

Someone may try to install the apk Himedia to add your player??, which allows you to play 3D ISO and sound 7.1

You can download it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/73ydkv281c8dexr/himediaWrapper.apk

Install instructions:

1. Run XBMC/KODI, and then exit XBMC/KODI by click the EXIT icon.
2. Download and install http://www.mediafire.com/download/73ydkv281c8dexr/himediaWrapper.apk.
3. Run the newly installed app. In the top left corner you'll see 'playercorefactory not installed'. Select the check box below to 'install playercorefactory'.
3. Run XBMC/KODI and you should now have 7.1 audio and 3D-ISO support.

Uninstall instructions:

Install ES File Explorer and change settings-display so you can view hidden files. Navigate to sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/. Delete the playercorefactory.xml file.

If someone proves that comment if it works or if it does nothing!

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Martijn - 2015-11-30

(2015-11-30, 11:41)setumismo Wrote: Ogreen, its good idea!

Someone may try to install the apk Himedia to add your player??, which allows you to play 3D ISO and sound 7.1

You can download it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/73ydkv281c8dexr/himediaWrapper.apk

Install instructions:

1. Run XBMC/KODI, and then exit XBMC/KODI by click the EXIT icon.
2. Download and install http://www.mediafire.com/download/73ydkv281c8dexr/himediaWrapper.apk.
3. Run the newly installed app. In the top left corner you'll see 'playercorefactory not installed'. Select the check box below to 'install playercorefactory'.
3. Run XBMC/KODI and you should now have 7.1 audio and 3D-ISO support.

Uninstall instructions:

Install ES File Explorer and change settings-display so you can view hidden files. Navigate to sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/. Delete the playercorefactory.xml file.

If someone proves that comment if it works or if it does nothing!
Don't do such silly stuff.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - setumismo - 2015-11-30

Sorry, I did not think it was a silly idea! Sorry my little knowledge!

I have no shield nvidia to try, but I thinking try on my phone Nexus 5. Because it is a bad idea?

There is no player in android (MX Player, VLC, ...) that can play 3D ISO?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Justkidding - 2015-11-30

Hi everybody,

did anyone of you root the SATV and install vanilla android?
Are you loosing any feature which is Kodi related when rooting?
Can you still use a harmony remote for the shield if it runs vanilla android?
I am just asking because I think with a SATV running android it could be possible to install and use the Sky Go app.
At least in combination with the Xposed Framework.
I hope it is fine to ask this here, otherwise please just delete this post Smile

(2015-11-30, 11:56)Martijn Wrote: Don't do such silly stuff.

Of course I know it not possible to use this file because chipset are not the same, but do you think it will be possible to do something like that ( with Shield compatible files of course) just to wait the kodi 17 version ?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - hdmkv - 2015-11-30

Do not apply the APK above to SATV... it's specifically designed for HiMedia Q5/Q10.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - paske - 2015-11-30

(2015-11-30, 13:51)Ogreen Wrote:

Of course I know it not possible to use this file because chipset are not the same, but do you think it will be possible to do something like that ( with Shield compatible files of course) just to wait the kodi 17 version ?

Why asking someone to test if it works then ?

(2015-11-30, 14:10)paske Wrote:
(2015-11-30, 13:51)Ogreen Wrote:

Why asking someone to test if it works then ?

I don't ask to test anything, I just want to know if what is done on Himedia player to have bitstream HD sound with kodi, is possible on shield, I talk about the method, not to use the same file of course because it's only for Himedia (HimediaWrapper)
To be clear, I would like to know if it's possible to change the internal kodi player by the internal google player to have now HD sound bitstream on kodi 15.2 or kodi 16. (as Himedia did Wink )

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - mahockey - 2015-11-30

(2015-11-29, 23:34)noggin Wrote:
(2015-11-29, 21:57)mahockey Wrote:
(2015-11-29, 12:52)noggin Wrote: There was a known problem on the Pi which got resolved, which was usually the cause of drop-outs when connected via an AVR. The Pi/Pi 2 would vary its HDMI clock rate slightly to avoid dropping/duping frames. Most TVs were happy with this variation, but many AVRs weren't and lost sync (so you got a video drop out on your amp).

This was fixed with new firmware and a config.txt setting "hdmi_clock_change_limit" which allowed you to limit the speed the clock could change (the numbers were different between Pi and PI 2). (The ODroid C1 had a very similar issue too)
Cheers Noggin for the heads up.

Anywhere i can read more on this problem/resolution for Rpi2 ?

Try typing "hdmi_clock_change_limit" into the Forum search box? There are a couple of threads there that might be of use.

took your advice and found a few of your old posts invaluable - some great advice and will try some fixes when I get home.

you're a great source for support and assistance and it does not go unappreciated...thanks!

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - hdmkv - 2015-11-30

Shield TV + game controller + remote $150 shipped @ Amazon.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - pjcanales - 2015-11-30

http://shield.nvidia.com/cyber-monday
$150 free shipping here too. Act fast before deal over today

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Stevio - 2015-11-30

I have an interesting question. I read that the new Android version allows you to use all storage devices to install apps. I think it was 5.1 rather than Android 6.0, but I can't remember.

So, is it possible to connect say, a 2TB+ USB hard drive, and install apps and put files from my bluray disks for playback on the Shield?

Thanks.