Kodi Community Forum
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) (/showthread.php?tid=220297)

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - ufaneitor - 2015-12-08

(2015-12-08, 13:50)mahockey Wrote: mine just got deliverered to me here in work, so will set it up when i get home
But first impressions are very good when it comes to build quality and look...tis a sexy looking thing. Big Grin

Please tell my about the quality of h264 hardware deinterlacing live tv, I am waiting for this to buy it!

Thanks!

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - e3henri - 2015-12-08

(2015-12-08, 00:50)e3henri Wrote: Any new on this issue?
"Anyone having issues playing VC-1 encoded videos? (using Nov 2 nightly). Videos stutter and audio is way out of sync."
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220297&pid=2150618#pid2150618

I'm almost switching back to my stable boxee box Sad
I have tried to disable the mediacodec hardware acceleration - no change
Passthrough on/off - no change
I'm on the google play 15.2 version.

Same file on Kodi 15.2 install on a PC - no problem

The video plays fine in ES Media player and the built in media player
Actually it seems like the problem with audio out of sync is fixed by disabling the "adjust display refresh rate..." in KODI.

1280*720 23,976 fps, AVC ([email protected]) (CABAC / 5 Ref Frames)
384 Kbps, 48 KHz, 16 bits, 6 channels, AC-3

Some other files with similair codec plays fine.

Do you think switching to Kodi 16 will help?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Uukrul - 2015-12-08

(2015-12-08, 17:32)ufaneitor Wrote: Please tell my about the quality of h264 hardware deinterlacing live tv, I am waiting for this to buy it!

As I said before, it's perfect. The test patterns from here look as good as with the RasPi and the MMAL Advanced deinterlacer or a Windows machine with DXVA2.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - ufaneitor - 2015-12-08

(2015-12-08, 20:33)Uukrul Wrote:
(2015-12-08, 17:32)ufaneitor Wrote: Please tell my about the quality of h264 hardware deinterlacing live tv, I am waiting for this to buy it!

As I said before, it's perfect. The test patterns from here look as good as with the RasPi and the MMAL Advanced deinterlacer or a Windows machine with DXVA2.

Ok, I just ordered one, will arrive friday thanks guys!

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wrxtasy - 2015-12-09

(2015-12-08, 20:33)Uukrul Wrote:

The confusion came about because Koying disabled Hardware decoding of mpeg2 video trying to fix stuttering playback problems with mpeg2 .vob files. With Hardware decoding of mpeg2 disabled you were left with inferior software deinterlacing as well of SD mpeg2 TV broadcasts. This did not effect H264 at all and the mpeg2 Hardware decoding functionality is being restored with Kodi Jarvis beta3 or 4 I think it is.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Tinwarble - 2015-12-09

(2015-12-09, 04:12)wrxtasy Wrote: The confusion came about because Koying disabled Hardware decoding of mpeg2 video trying to fix stuttering playback problems with mpeg2 .vob files. With Hardware decoding of mpeg2 disabled you were left with inferior software deinterlacing as well of SD mpeg2 TV broadcasts. This did not effect H264 at all and the mpeg2 Hardware decoding functionality is being restored with Kodi Jarvis beta3 or 4 I think it is.

Should already be merged in nightlies.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - wesk05 - 2015-12-09

(2015-11-28, 02:42)couto27 Wrote: Anyone has a file video test file up to 150mbps bitrate that can test in Nvidia..

You can find some high (and ridiculously high) bitrate video clips in this thread - Doom9 Forum: Evaluation of HEVC decoders

Check posts #286 for a 280Mbps L5.2 AVC clip, #690 for 100/200/300Mbps HEVC clips, #964 for 127Mbps HEVC main10 clip, #981 for a 1000Mbps HEVC main10 clip. All of them are 4K 50fps.

Kodi on SATV struggles only with the 1000Mbps clip. Interestingly, Kodi didn't even open this clip from SATV's internal flash, but it opened the clip from an external USB 3.0 SSD. The native Android video player cannot open anything above 100Mbps. I also couldn't get any of the videos to play from my NAS that is on a gigabit network. That was strange.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - couto27 - 2015-12-09

(2015-12-09, 08:12)wesk05 Wrote: Kodi on SATV struggles only with the 1000Mbps clip

Thats great news..
Thanks for the links.. downloading now.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Stevio - 2015-12-09

(2015-12-03, 03:23)Stevio Wrote:
(2015-11-30, 19:28)danjames92 Wrote:
(2015-11-30, 16:54)Stevio Wrote: I have an interesting question. I read that the new Android version allows you to use all storage devices to install apps. I think it was 5.1 rather than Android 6.0, but I can't remember.

So, is it possible to connect say, a 2TB+ USB hard drive, and install apps and put files from my bluray disks for playback on the Shield?

Thanks.

rips yes, don't know about apps.

Thanks Dan, I suppose I will have to look thus up. Avoiding $100 for the Pro is desirable.

OK, Android 6 supports this, but the Shield TV apparently let's you offload applications to external storage. I don't know if this is allowed on a HDD though, and how good it would work. The really should have done a Shield Media with bluray drive and wide USB TV PVR support with internal slots to for them as an optional upgrade. Basically it would have been nearly the same price, and you buy the pieces and optional bluray/UHD bluray player software if you want. Here is a picture, you make the case a few centimeters thicker.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - Atinkler - 2015-12-09

Hi guys, I've been trying to do some searches about playback issues but I can't actually explain what is going on SO... if you don't mind I'm going to try and explain it here and can someone please confirm what area it falls under.. I *think* it's frequency issues.

I was playing a TV show last night and it was unwatchable because it seemed 'artificial' the video played but it like it was too crisp or in super HD but not in a good way, when the images moved I want to say it stuttered or jittered but I'm not sure that's the right terms.. it just seems really odd as if the video didnt match the display and it also seemed over bright and 'cold'

The reason I think it's frequency is because it reminded me a bit of watching US TV in the US (which I know is a differnect Hz) when I'm use to watching UK TV (in the UK)

Sorry if I'm not explaining it correctly but that's the problem I'm having getting an answer

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - DaddyLongLegs - 2015-12-10

I still can't seem to get to the conext menu in Kodi using the official NVidia Shield remote control? Holding the OK button is not doing it... any help?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - querty1000 - 2015-12-10

(2015-12-10, 09:12)DaddyLongLegs Wrote: I still can't seem to get to the conext menu in Kodi using the official NVidia Shield remote control? Holding the OK button is not doing it... any help?

are you shure you are running Jarvis Beta 3 or nightlys?

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - mahockey - 2015-12-10

First impression was good with regards to looks etc. But it has been a mixed bag since then and rather disappointing tbh.

I spent some time configuring my KODI setup using BELLO skin and was happy with its performance. Only to find the next day (after turning it off) that KODI wouldn't open correctly.
Force stopped the app, but still no good.

Kept getting a empty KODI window with no description of the problem and just a OK button to select.

Had to deleted all data (KODI app) and start again.

Built another KODI system only to find after a restart it again crashed and failed to fully open. I've no idea what's causing it, and the only thing out of the norm I am trying to do is run a PVR front end add on(Vu+ Enigma)

Considering selling now and reverting back to Rpi2 which doesn't suffer any of the above.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - gkf9 - 2015-12-10

I was going to set up the PVR function tonight from my Egnima box, I'm a little worried now that it might cause mine to crash. I've spent hours setting Kodi skins up, don't fancy doing it again anytime soon.

Maybe you might be best doing a factory reset, incase there's any bugs hanging about?
PITA but sometimes it's the only way.

RE: NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box) - mahockey - 2015-12-10

(2015-12-10, 10:24)gkf9 Wrote: I was going to set up the PVR function tonight from my Egnima box, I'm a little worried now that it might cause mine to crash. I've spent hours setting Kodi skins up, don't fancy doing it again anytime soon.

Maybe you might be best doing a factory reset, incase there's any bugs hanging about?
PITA but sometimes it's the only way.

Yea seriously pissed me off spending so much time building a system only to have to delete it (twice)... Not confirmed the PVR aspect is causing the problem btw. But would be interested how you get on if you do decide to try.

Factory reset on the horizon - if that fails to resolve then Nvidia Shield offers me nothing more than I already have and destined for the small adds.